Time for yet another "Mass Shooting" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 11, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The role of domestic violence in mass shootings AND cop shootings seems to be the elephant in the room (other than a bananas gun culture and complete failure of gun control) the media never seems to notice.

crazypete13 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not really a joke. Somebody's gotta cook, clean, shovel hog manure, and pluck chickens, and there aren't many Americans eager for those tasks.

russ repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, Immigrants have always done the jobs that Americans feel are beneath them. Many Americans prefer to bitch and blame the system than plucking chickens.

I would be one of them, shit I don't want to do many of the jobs my dad and mom had to do to survive and take care of us.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was absolutely a joke. White Christian America thinks it can survive doing these things themselves. And they're probably right- most of 'em aren't a good two generations removed from beating their clothes on a rock.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nah, they think your people will do it. No Mexicans, black sharecroppers ... life as it's meant to be.

russ, flowergirl and Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sadly yes - this seems to be emerging as a key indicator.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all never spent much time in the rural Midwest or Great Plains...the cultural belief in the work ethic is strong. They imagine that they'll be doing all the work themselves.

It's denial, of course (everybody knows the packing plants in those communities hire a lot of immigrant labor), but it's a denial you have to recognize to understand the mentality of many rural Trump supporters.

8. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Something that gets overlooked is that this hiring poor immigrants to do menial work you thing isn't uniquely American or uniquely a late 20th-early 21st century thing.

It's a worldwide phenomenon and has probably been around since modern capitalism has existed. I mean, in Latin America there was a trend of having a live-in nanny that migrated from the rural areas into the city. We had one in Peru and while both my parents were professionals, we weren't anywhere close to upper-middle class and still lived in the 'hood. (Upward mobility takes a few generations in developing countries and my parents were the first generation to "move up")

But there's this idea that poor people moving into urban areas to do grunt work was invented by Mexicans in 1970 when they started coming into the US.

soccernutter, Deadtigers and Moishe repped this.
  9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You guys should watch Rome. It’s very reminiscent of my childhood and I grew up in Colombia (not Mexico) but the country indigenous girl serving as live-in maid for the mid-class white-ish family was a recurrent occurrence among most of my family and our acquaintances. From what I’ve read, it did happen in other Latin American countries too.

Dominican Lou and Moishe repped this.
  10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Dominican Lou, Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I experienced this in Asia

People had Filipino house keepers because they were far cheaper. You could import them under a special visa. They could only work for you. They did get one day off per week (sunday)

It was common work for older women with grown up kids.

Not quite slavery - but close to.

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some kept them their whole lives

Her name was Eudocia Tomas Pulido. We called her Lola. She was 4 foot 11, with mocha-brown skin and almond eyes that I can still see looking into mine—my first memory. She was 18 years old when my grandfather gave her to my mother as a gift, and when my family moved to the United States, we brought her with us. No other word but slave encompassed the life she lived. Her days began before everyone else woke and ended after we went to bed. She prepared three meals a day, cleaned the house, waited on my parents, and took care of my four siblings and me. My parents never paid her, and they scolded her constantly. She wasn’t kept in leg irons, but she might as well have been. So many nights, on my way to the bathroom, I’d spot her sleeping in a corner, slumped against a mound of laundry, her fingers clutching a garment she was in the middle of folding.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/lolas-story/524490/

Auriaprottu, fatbastard and dapip repped this.
  13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Why do you have me on ignore you Jersey Trash!!
    The post just before his!!

Great minds, fools, etc!

14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Rome?

Who was Atia of the Julii in your household?
    Played by the gorgeous Polly Walker, of course.

Although my favorite character was Titus Pollo.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sorry, I meant to write "Roma" but autocorrect made it Rome...

[​IMG]

xtomx repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, I know, and I should have put ;) or something on my post.

However, any time I can bring up one of the 5 greatest short run series of all time, I will.

Rome was just great.

Roma, I have yet to watch.

dapip repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Hong Kong they at least get Sundays off.

That is about 550 USD per month.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20161109-a-sunday-ritual-for-300000-women

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone had to replace slaves that did that work before.

19. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Nah, only the very rich had slaves. Those that owned plantations and needed labor to do the farmwork.

Maids and nannies are far, far more widespread. Even the working classes have some.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Actually it was surprisingly common for small farmers in Mississippi at least, to have at least one, maybe two. I think Alabama and North Louisiana and the cotton growing parts of Texas too.

In fact, that was a major element in the timing of the emancipation proclamation. When times got hard there as the blockade started to squeeze and they were cut off from the other side of the river, these people started turning their slaves out because they could no longer feed them. Having no place else to go, they mobbed the Union Army camps And the camps couldn't just let them starve, but couldn't legally give them jobs either, despite the extreme need for woodcutters, teamsters, nurses, soldiers-- and field hands to get the enormous captured acreage of cotton harvested-- because they were legally property, not people.

So Grant and Sherman and Thomas and Porter and Farragut were clamoring at Lincoln to find a legal solution so they could employ and enlist these people, pay them and then charge them for their food and in some cases lodging and cut the Gordian accounting knot that was paralyzing the whole war effort.

So Lincoln solved the problem in the simplest way... and for the rest of the war the wood that fueled the steamboats and ships and trains, the cotton that returned in bulk to the Northern mills, the wagonloads of food and supplies that were hauled to and from the front. were largely the products of ex-slaves, who drew wages for their efforts...

spejic, fatbastard, Deadtigers and 3 others repped this.
  21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he was referring to Latin America. Am I correct, @Dominican Lou ?

You are correct--given that most slaves in the Cotton south lived on large plantations, there was a tendency for a long to assume that most slave owners were large planters. But that's not true--most slave owners were small time.

When the Civil War started, 49% of all white Mississippians lived in a slave-owning household. That ratio was nearly as high in Alabama and South Carolina, among other states. The Confederate state with the lowest percentage of slave-holding white households was Arkansas, and even there the percentage was 20%.

(It occurs to me I may be conflating "whites in slave-owning households" with "slave-owning white households" since my memory is notoriously fuzzy with details; but I think the difference between those two metrics would be negligible regardless).

Dominican Lou and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pffff.....you don't have Stampp's The Peculiar Institution memorized?
    ;)

Dr. Wankler and bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Correct! Good info though, @taosjohn

In Peru at least, slaves worked the huge plantations outside the Lima area. Maybe it was a bit different in Brazil and Cuba where the slave population was higher.

24. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Were those black slaves or native? Brazil's were black or at least included blacks, but at least initially weren't those of the Spanish Andes natives?

25. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    They were black.

Enslaving natives was banned early on in the colonial period. There's a whole bunch of speculation as to why.