Time for yet another "Mass Shooting" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 11, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Round in the chamber, safety off, pick it up by the trigger.

What could go wrong ?

sitruc and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    There was so much wrong in that brief sequence and I'm not even counting the White Guy dance.

Dr. Wankler and sitruc repped this.
  3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I had a conversation with a co-worker yesterday. There is so much wrong in it. Even the way he backed away like nothing happened and he was going to get away with it was crazy.

4. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    The video is pure internet gold. The way he throws up his hands as a way of saying "my bad" is more appropriate for someone accidentally canceling the Uber ride and making everyone late than shooting someone in the leg.

NORML, Cascarino's Pizzeria and sitruc repped this.
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Obviously this proves the FBI is not a reliable agency and we should not take anything they say as truthful. First Comey, then this guy...

Cascarino's Pizzeria and sitruc repped this.
  6. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well of course he's a Trump plant! :cautious:

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if I get this right, suicide is included in that 24K number correct, suicide is the majority (last time I checked) of gun deaths in the USA.

Now if someone commits suicide by hanging them selves, so we call that rope violence?

If they take a bottle of sleeping pills, is that medicine violence?

If they cut their wrists is that knife violence?

Guns may make suicide more common or easier (Koreans and Japanese do well here with out them), but why do they get that title while other forms of suicide don't?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So if you shoot someone in school or shoot yourself. It's still death by gun. What don't you understand about that?
    Then what does suicide in other countries have to do with shootings in America?
    I really don't understand your deflection.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Cool 538 article. It shows how -

1) Nearly all gun deaths are either by suicide, or among black males.
    2) Which, collectively, receive about 2% of the press coverage for gun deaths.

So, eh, I can't much be bothered. Not to say that handguns aren't silly, the 2nd Amendment fetish isn't silly, the NRA isn't flat-out evil, and semi-automatic weapons aren't ridiculous. All true. But this subject is well down the list of the nation's problems.

ceezmad and American Brummie repped this.
  10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Having access to guns increases suicide rates because it makes it really ********ing easy. Having access to kitchen knives or rope doesn't really affect anything. Because of that difference, suicide by gun is rightly classified as gun violence.

Dominican Lou, Auriaprottu and sitruc repped this.
  11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least one study suggests that they do, significantly.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It would be ironic if the #1 cause for gun deaths was in making suicides easier, because of all the articles against guns that I have read, I have not yet encountered that argument.

13. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten thousand billion studies show that. Harvard's Injury Research Center has dozens of such studies. It's 2018, a group of us have been posting this nonsense for years now, and people who don't want to acknowledge the overwhelming scientific consensus on this aren't ever going to change.

Sorry, @ceezmad , but you've read these boards long enough to know better.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You haven't? I see that argument all the time.

It's not part of the showy-but-largely-inconsequential argument about restricting rifles because those aren't used in suicides, but the argument is absolutely out there.

usscouse, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure and there seems to be an effect if we look at Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-...-and-suicides-john-howard-port-arthur/7254880

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/10/gun-control-australia-updated/

Even suicides while it has gone up recently (13 year peak I saw in an article) it is still lower than what it was pre gun ban, it was declining before, but it looks like the decline accelerated after the ban.

But my point is that people commit suicide by other means, yet we do not brand (for political reasons IMO) those items as "violence by X"

No ropes and no knifes (if there was a ban) would decrease the "suicide violence" by knifes and ropes wouldn't it?

Now are they much easier replaceable items than firearms to commit suicide, For sure, no doubt, my issue is just the attention grabbing (IMO) headline in the picture that I quoted.

16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true at all. Suicide by poison, hanging/asphyxiation, or knife wounds are all reported. But those "weapons" have other uses. We use poisons to do things other than hurt people. We use ropes to do a ton of things. Knives, of course, cut brussels sprouts and eggplants for roasting.

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    *graphic post ahead*

Tying a noose, finding something to secure it to, and then either choking yourself to death or breaking your own neck by kicking out a chair, or digging your arteries out of your arm or neck with a knife is a whole ********ing lot harder to do than pulling a trigger. So no, you're wrong about this. Stop digging.

sitruc repped this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Knifes"?

roby, Auriaprottu and sitruc repped this.
  19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Death by gun, is death by gun
    <Spicer>Period</Spicer>

The topic is GUN Deaths. The subject is GUN Deaths. The result of shooting youself or shooting people from a hotel window is GUN Death.

Knives, ropes, pills, jumping off tall buildings are not GUN Deaths.
    Not part of the issue and not part of GUN Death statistics.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1. Suicide rates and numbers are increasing, particullary among certain cohorts of white people and Native/Alaskans.

[​IMG]

2. Guns account for about half the people that kill themselves:
    [​IMG]

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have said before that 2 arguments that IMO would work a lot better to pass more restrictive gun laws are the prevention of suicide and a decrease in accidental deaths in households, but those 2 are not sexy as mass shootings that get 99% of the TV time.

The same thing that makes Guns/Firearms more useful to commit suicide is the same reason on why we humans developed, to facilitate the lethal power of a weapon. The gun makes it easier to kill and enemy, makes it easier to take down an animal compared to other available tools.

My argument is not against how they are useful tools to kill our selves (and others) my argument is against conflicting terms for political gain.

If you are a person that does not like guns, every time they are used you will call it violence because you assume that is the only reason they were developed in the first place (and IMO it is true) that they have other uses like hunting and self defense (The effectiveness of it is not that good based on some articles as the one I will post below) to anti-gun people this is besides the point when categorizing this "scary" tool.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5822 ceezmad, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    The title is mass shootings. Is gun death more violent than other forms of suicide (and argument can be made for yes).

So in the picture that I quoted from you originally, what would have been the difference for the title of the picture from as you say above "Death by gun" vs. "gun violence".

one catches your attention more does it not?

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I would never kill myself with a gun, why should my rights be infringed upon?"

In one sentence. Gun-rights people don't care about facts. They like their guns and nothing you do can change that.

dapip and sitruc repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suffocation is way too high, the gun category seems to be in decline for both males and females while suffocation is in the up swing.

Perhaps due to laws mandating waiting periods?

Another argument for more gun restrictions to prevent suicides would be effective rates.

I remember seeing a chart that suicide attempts are more successful with hand guns than other methods. Which I guess it would mean that a graph that charts attempted suicides would have poison and suffocation with much bigger portions of the graph.

25. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Hogg's parent house swatted.

gizmodolink

Scary stuff, people have been killed by being swatted