Time for yet another "Mass Shooting" thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 11, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Also, the Pulse nightclub had security, as did Columbine High School.

usscouse repped this.
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    If I, Robbie Fowler forbid, planned an attack on a public institution, first to go would be Security.

3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's exactly what happened at Pulse....

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What has Fowler done now?

roby repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen a lot of TV or heard a lot of reports in the past week or so (part choice, mostly not), and most of what I have heard from/about the kids are not the crying parts. Most of what I have heard/seen is the "you ain't doin' shit to protect us. Enable stricter gun laws." While that is general, I'm not starting to hear that they are being more specific. Of course, there is very little about banning any weapons, specifically on the political side.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike the past, the media is really getting on this fast and hard.

8. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is really where the power lies

crazypete13 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I heard yesterday, or maybe Wednesday: Almost all of these kids have grown up post-Columbine, meaning that part of their regular education is the regular practice of active-shooter drills. And that is wearing on them, being an irritation that is taking away from the desire to learn (which is inherent in kids). So while this might not make a difference this week, or even this year, that generation is pissed off, and many will skip Fraternity and Sorority row because the change in gun laws is more important.

I've heard this compared to the smoking bans and such, which I see as comparable. And I think we have talked about there here, or the other gun thread. We all know the difference is the manner in which the NRA got congress to prevent the CDC from doing public health studies on gun violence. But, that model is something to look at, as there were various jurisdictions which banned smoking on some places, and then more, jurisdictions, and then counties, and then states...and eventually even those places which had a smoking culture got used to it, even in dislike, because they still got to smoke.

I've also been thinking about this relative to the thread of nuclear war. It was my parent's generation which dad to conduct the nuclear attack drills in school. And it was my parent's generation which got sick and tired of that shit and started to talk about the evils of nuclear war and nuclear weapons. Yes they still exist, but I don't recall doing a nuclear attack drill from maybe 1987 onward - and prior to that, I recognized that the "earthquake" drills were really the same as nuclear attack drills.

Auriaprottu, sitruc, M and 1 other person repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the real reason I came to this thread:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/us/florida-school-shooting/index.html

When Nikolas Cruz started shooting last week at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, an armed deputy stationed at the Florida school rushed to the building.

But instead of entering, the officer waited outside for four minutes as the gunman killed students and faculty inside, authorities said.

School resource officer Scot Peterson never went in, despite taking a position on the west side of Building 12, where most of the carnage happened, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said Thursday.

What I was told by police, and the people who do the active shooter training, is that the first officer on scene goes in. Period. That was a major finding of Columbine. And a major finding of Va Tech. He should be raked over the coals.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Funny how, the fear of impending death is a defense when they don't go in but also a defense when a black guy reaches for his wallet. You wanted to be a hero, go be a hero!!

Notice I said impending death. Because if you have a hand gun and the other guy has a AR-15, you get one shot (maybe) and it has to be a kill shot before you get shot up.

12. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably why school guards in Broward County are now gonna be carrying AR-15's at the school too.

Sudžuka and dapip repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Obviously it depends on the details but your general point holds - you only need to think of Dallas where a guy who schooled up on tactical aspects took down many officers.

It's not merely about being outgunned

How many shooters are you up against?

If you look back at Columbine, there were armed responders on site early - but they were not stupid enough to rush the shooters

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You know I've always thought this was absurd since the time I was eating at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant at LHR T5 and some tooled up grunts wandered thru the packed restaurant with their machine guns

WTF happens if they start shooting those things in a crowd?

LMAO

ETA - you can see a similar thing in Paris since forever where actual soldiers wander Gare du Nord with actual bipod machine guns

LOL!

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    usscouse repped this.
  16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No there weren't. Guns are kept locked up on a base.

Ironic, huh?

stanger, NORML and roby repped this.
  17. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheaper if they just went the Derek Smalls route and put a cucumber in their pants

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Robbie was god. According to the Liverpool faithful.
    Just as an aside, Robbie invested heavily in real estate in the Pool. So his sig tune was "We all live in a Robbie Fowler house" to the tune of Yellow Submarine.

soccernutter, Auriaprottu and roby repped this.
  19. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Quick! Which one is the active shooter and which is the good guy with a gun?[​IMG]

sitruc repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Police Officer (Certified)
    City of Coconut Creek, FL - Coconut Creek, FL

Apply Now

GENERAL PURPOSE:

Performs entry-level specialized work in law enforcement for the Police Department. Work is normally performed under the supervision of a ranking or senior officer; however, a Police Officer is frequently required to use independent judgment and discretion. Quality of performance is reviewed constantly by supervisors. Work involves responsibility for rapid and efficient performance of specialized duties under normal and emergency conditions, and may involve threats to personal safety and/or life.

The selected candidate must have successfully completed the basic recruit training at a certified Police Academy and possess current certification from the State of Florida as a Law Enforcement Officer as described under Chapter 943, Florida Statutes (F.S.) or be currently enrolled in a State of Florida Police Academy and be able to obtain a Florida Law Enforcement Certification prior to employment.

Job Requirements: A criminal history check, including FCIC/NCIC, and a driving record check shall be conducted for all applicants as part of the application process. Any applicant who does not meet Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC) requirements or City of Coconut Creek Police Department standards shall not be eligible for further consideration.

Starting Pay Rate: $26.11/hourly.

Minimum : $26.11/hourly - $57,024.24/annually
    Midpoint: $33.86/hourly - $73,950.24/annually
    Maximum: $41.61/hourly - $90,876.24/annually

Last week while I was browsing for jobs, I saw the adds for LEO in the area and (despite the benefits and the early retirement), the pay is skimpy. The position I posted above is probably on the top end of the pay scale. I also saw one for a Part-time officer for $15/Hr. $15/Hr. !!!! YGBFKM!!!!

I also recall that School Police tends to be paid somewhat less, probably in the $20/Hr. range. Don't get me wrong, some people really enjoy the "perks" of that job despite the pay, but for $20/Hr. I ain't putting myself in the line of fire.

Police officers and Police Unions need to realize (as teachers and First responders) that society is asking them to put their life's on the line for a rather modest pay, and that most of the danger is coming from the actions (or inactons) from GOP politicians and the NRA.

soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  21. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    New York City, especially the Times Square area, is notorious for this. Every time I go there, I feel infinitely more safe knowing that a guy with a semiautomatic weapon will be shooting into a crowd full of people trying to "stop the bad guy".

usscouse and sitruc repped this.
  22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Collateral damage. We got the bad guy!

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife is contacting Hertz today (she is a President's Circle reward member with them due to her frequent travel for work). We're telling them that we're ready to cancel our upcoming reservations with them and go with Enterprise, National or Alamo unless they cancel their NRA member discount.

luftmensch and dapip repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) The one with the darkest complexion. In case of tie
    2) the one with the most facial hair. In case of tie
    3) the one with a middle-eastern looking scarf
    4) person with fewest and or smallest weapon, because they're clearly not NRA members.

sitruc, msilverstein47 and NORML repped this.