Time for Tim Howard.

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Tejas, Sep 5, 2002.

1. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, put the pipe down & then rethink this. :)

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

now that gave me a chuckle!

3. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wouldn't consider Sam's Army to be an expert source of knowledge. Although Brad played well and had some of the most key saves in the tournment, he was not better than the German (Kahn), Brazilian (?), and Turkish (?) keepers. Brad was very average against Mexico and was consistantly poor on crosses into the box. We were very fortunate against Mexico that his mistakes didn't cost us the game...

However, back on topic...I don't see anyone in the MLS challenging Friedel or Keller in the next couple of years. Although Howard and others should get oppportunities to get capped, Howard needs to improve in a couple of areas (positioning and distribution) before making it past Friedel and Keller.

4. Howard is the best keeper that we have. Playing for the Nats, his organizational duties would be greatly reduced...those guys know what they are doing. The Metros defense obviously does not. He isn't that bad. All goalies shank the ball once in a while (sometimes into the head of an opponent, bouncing the ball into the goal, ala Keller). In four years, Keller and Freidel will be old, and Howard will have four more years of experience, and possibly some in Europe (from what I have heard). He will be 28. By the time that he is 32, he will have lost his greatest asset; his physical ability. Friedel is going to get more timid. Keller is going to get even slower. The time for Howard is NOW, and while I am sure that both Friedel and Keller will both be capable in 2006, Tim should be keeping the nets for us in Germany. He keeps the ball out the best.

5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    36 isn't old for a goalkeeper. Some top goalkeepers don't even hit their peak until 33-35, and most goalkeepers stay right at the top of their game until almost 40.

About Tim Howard: for some reason he still doesn't inspire much confidence in me. He cheats off his line far too often (and thus gets beaten at the near post quite frequently), and his distribution isn't even up to Keller's standard. And as for claims that his organizational duties would be reduced: I don't think so. A national team needs a vocal leader in the back more than a club team does, because the players do not play together as often. Both Keller and Friedel are noted for their organizational abilities. Howard is not.

Howard will be competing with Friedel and Keller for the #1 spot in 2006. None of the three is likely to be clear #1 unless the other two are injured.