Time for an overhaul - Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there were suitors in epl... could have gone for more

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's out with a knee injury, and was still sold for 10 million quid. That's not exactly bad business. I question why we sold him if we're going to play a back three, but it's not terrible value given the situation.

3. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not to mention, switching to the back 3 was when he really became solid. but i think monreal/holding is solid enough as the 2nd wide centreback lines.

4. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, if Gabby is out and we're also trying to unload Chambers, would we be looking to add another CB? With them both gone we would have just 4 natural CBs on the roster with 2 of them being over 30. Wouldn't mind adding another starting quality so as not to be forced to start Holding before he is 100% ready.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We going in for van dijk? We need a quality cv to come in. Not comfortable with what we have and how injury prone the starters are

6. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gonna be really hard to pry Van Dijk from Southampton. He's the CB version of Griezmann, we just wouldn't pull the trigger.

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    eh, we got 1.3M worth of work out of him.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    But that's wages. It wasn't a great transfer by any means. Just not a disaster. Sometimes you lose money on players. This is hardly what happens to Spurs or Liverpool from time to time.

9. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soooo... supposedly PSG has told Draxler he is not in the plans after signing Neymar.

Alexis for Draxler and Matuidi?
    Alexis doesn't want to be at Arsenal and PSG rumored to have interest.
    Draxler & Matuidi not wanted by PSG and both players rumored to be rated by Arsene in the past.
    Solves both the Alexis replacement and CM depth/starter needs.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Matuidi signed for Juventus for peanuts.

12. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had read rumors of Juventus going in for him but hadn't seen reports that the deal was final.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Player exchanges almost never happen

I feel like I need to make this my signature. It's a fool's errand to speculate about them.

daedalus repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Matuidi would have been a great signing for Arsenal

I really can't understand why Wenger can't manage to buy a decent 8

15. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so PSG if sign Mbappe AND alexis - they would have spent more than 400 mil
    lol..ok

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree, but it does make you wonder why it's not at least a little more common. With all the player movement these days and the variety of players itching for a change of scenery while teams don't want to be caught short at the trade deadline, you'd think there might be at least 1-2 such deals per summer. Curious.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If PSG solves Arsenal's Alexis problem I wouldn't care about how much they spent.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Because if players are exchanged between clubs, there's no agent fee to be paid out.

There's an economic argument behind it too that I'm having a tough time putting into words. In short, when teams can spend however much they want, and there's a huge pool of players from which to choose, it probably doesn't make efficient economic sense to trade a thing of value that you have to someone else for another thing of arguably similar value. It makes more sense to try to hunt a bargain.

You're even seeing fewer trades in MLS now, as the salary budget goes up, the quality gets better, and the pool of players willing to play in the league grows. It makes less sense to give up an asset of your own when you can just go sign another without giving up anything except money.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You can still do it as individual deals to address this if need be. If both teams need certain positions and are looking to move certain positions... (Over-simplified version, I know, but you see where I'm headed.)

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fffs matuidi has gone to juve? Would of been great here

We won't even get seri

Wenger needs to learn what a dof is the dopey old Cunner

21. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #1396 casoccerdad47, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    I think we have to accept that Arsene's 8's are always going to be more 10 than 6. Santi and Ramsey are both more 10 than 6. Arsene isn't looking to pair a Matuidi ;or a Carvalho with Xhaka. They don't provide the offensive contribution Arsene want's out of his 8s. Pogba or Verratti would be ideal, but neither is available. The one player that Arsenal has been linked with that could potentially provide the offensive contribution that Arsene wants and the defensive contribution that Arsenal needs is Goretzka. But the fact that he has hardly been mentioned in transfer speculation, suggests that, despite his protestations that no deal has been agreed, he is bound for Bayern Munich after playing out his contract. Rabiot would be interesting, but I think he more nearly duplicates Xhaka.

So who do you want?

I forgot to include Naby Keita, but RB Leipzig is holding on real tight.

22. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rumoured fee for Matuidi of GBP 18.2m is laughably low. Would've thought he was worth around EUR 30m or so in this market.

23. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    From what I read, they have to offload players to sign Mbappe(or/and Sanchez). Rumoured players cover key positions- Krywoyiak, Aurier, Meunier etc. They will be so imbalanced and balance is everything in the UCL final stages. This is going to blow up in their faces.

24. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He doesn't have the legs for an active league.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  25. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    How so?

They are looking to buy Mbappe and Fabinho. And they will only offload one of Aurier and Meunièr.