Time for an overhaul - Summer Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by chjoak, Apr 14, 2017.

1. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all realize that one player isn't gonna make a difference. We need 5-7 players and to sell more than that to turn things around.

cantona94 repped this.
  2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I don't think Keita is available and Tolisso is gone. I think we have to play a pat hand at CM. Sell Alexis and get Lemar and another quality wide player.

Dump Walcott, Coq, Debuchy. Keep Giroud and/or Lucas Perez if they're willing to stay but most likely sell them too.

Probably resign Ox.

thebigman repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I personally would use giroud in a swap deal with Lyon plus cash as we aren't getting mbappe for lacazette

Then if we lose Sanchez pursue lemar or dembele and we can afford Keita

Starting 11

.........lacazette....welbeck
    ...................ozil
    Kol..xhaka.......Keita.....ox
    .......kos.....mustafi....holding
    ...............cech

We have ok subs

Martinez

Nacho at lwb and cb, Gibbs is gone
    Hector at rwb

El neney, coq and some yut in the middle
    Ramsey can play cm or advanced forward
    Maybe jack too?

We have theo and iwobi and some other Nigerian road mans as potential forwards too as well as jeff etc

4. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Bellerin ahead of Ox please.

5. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah, I think it has to be this way. Given that we'll be playing 343 I think we can afford the lack of athleticism from Cazorla and Xhaka more now.

And AFAIK, all the plausible players there are healthy, for like the first time in forever: JFW, Ramsey, Cazorla, Xhaka, Moe.

6. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    And while we're at it, I haven't heard any plausible rumors that Alexis or Ozil are re-signing. _Or_ even that there's legit big money offers for either one, say 50MM GBP or better. Nobody seems to want Ozil, and Alexis' wage demands are throwing off a lot of buying clubs. Can't say I blame him really. If our clown car manager is getting paid 8MM GBP per year, why should Alexis be getting paid?

Doesn't really help us though.

7. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a new manager and owner.

8. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dembele would be a great fit for this club
    Lemar ... although I haven't seen him enough strikes me as a ozil light .. very similar in movements

thebigman repped this.
  9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    We need to jettison minimum of 4 players and buy around 8/9 but that won't happen so we'll be here again. Arsene Mugabe is doing the damn thing tho

cantona94, Serengeti_Boy and thebigman repped this.
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah we will not act correctly this summer and get focked next year as per the last 13 years

Fifty and cantona94 repped this.
  11. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Apparently we're now after Anthony Martial, so the trail is now Mbappe, Lacazette and finally Martial- all unrealistic targets. Hypothetically speaking though, wouldn't mind him honestly, he's not going to develop under Mou IMO. Maybe United sells hims to cancel out all his ridiculous clauses stapled in?

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't see them selling to us but I like him as a Sanchez replacement

13. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah me neither... but wouldn't Arsenal be on hook for additional transfer fees?
    I would take martial over lacazette...martial doesn't have a future under mourinho...

thebigman repped this.
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    agree. trying to picture mourinho selling someone with that potential to us without ownership interference and just not seeing it.

thebigman repped this.
  15. Will90

Will90 Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I also think Martial would be good as well, although underwhelming in comparison to the Aubameyang and Mbappe links. Anyway, his season under LvG he scored 11 goals, mainly down the wing and thats not too bad considering he is only 21 now as well. I think Wenger can manage him well.

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    oh, i agree with cutting out stupid giveaways. but that's no more realistic than wenger changing his spots.

i don't agree that we can run xhaka with a back two - not the way that wenger wants to run xhaka. if a manager has common sense and actually paid attention to how he was used - and excelled - at previous club? cool. our manager believes that whatever player should fit into whatever role he decides as long as they are talented. cool idea. and MAYBE if we are talking someone like henry, pires, or vieira, it may be a conversation. as much as i love xhaka as a player, he's not in those guys' class.

a dynamic controller wouldn't really solve it. a controller never sucks but, more importantly, you need someone who is willing/able to be up front supporting attack - because we are talking wenger - who is then willing/able to get back to delay attack enough to allow xhaka to get back into position because he is higher up than he is capable of recovering from. the closest thing we have to that is ramsey who is able but quite on the willing side.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Us running a back 2 is not happening as we look shit with xhaka in a central 2

18. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The only way Martial ends up at Arsenal would be in a Sanchez swap, otherwise the fans will be in meltdown. And swaps almost never happen.

daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  19. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I agree.

Arsenal can't have both at once. One star coming means another one's departure is imminent.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanchez for Martial swap makes zero sense to me.

You give up a player who was our MVP this season (not sure if he was officially), who makes immediate and big impacts on the team(s) he plays for?

In return, you accept a player who is young, was highly touted a year or two ago, but who has so far failed to make the grade in England?

And you do this business with our closest direct rival at the moment?

No way.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Prince, here's Ted Knutson telling a story about Naby Keita:

879359967584759809 is not a valid tweet id

879360171281195011 is not a valid tweet id

879360762967449602 is not a valid tweet id

Twitter suggests some movement on Lemar. Good signing if we can pull it off.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does he play that much at United? I had gotten the impression that he was on the fringes, and Jose doesn't play that many players.

23. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    rumor mill and now talksport discussing a Sanchez for Aguero swap...what a thing if it were to happen #sillyseason

24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can't recall which but I tripped over some site this morning suggesting Liverpool are in for Keita, offering 50M GBP to start. Article claimed the club were holding out for 70.

Apart from the Eto'o+/Zlatan deal has there been an actual swap of major players since 2000? I can't recall one, but that's not saying much.

25. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    And you lot and Chelsea.