Tim Ream rumors (PSV, others)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's nice I can see him improving in Europe quickly but I doubt he moves anytime soon. I actually would rather see him play in Serie A.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    2nd year MLS guy - those usually stay for another season before moving.

Plus, PSV has money problems.

4. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
  5. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm down for Ream going to PSV

6. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd definitely like to see him move as early as the end of this season. He's already 23, and we've seen it with Kljestan and other guys that if he gets consistent playing time he's going to experience more and get better. That'll only be good news for us.

7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I dont see him moving unless he only has 1 year left on the contract or is free. MLS doesnt transfer Americans early or easily

8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure a lot of teams are "tracking" Tim. The issue is whether anyone is interested enough to pay what it will take to pry him away from MLS. The folks who run MLS aren't fools and take their investments seriously.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    NYRB isn't your "regular" MLS club either.

10. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    With Henry and Marquez making max for the foreseeable future, Lindpere (and maybe Dane?) looking for a big raise, and possibly Tanio and DeRo staying on and making big cash too, I think RB might be more willing than you'd think to let Tim go if they can get a decent allocation for him. He'd command a huge raise himself once his contract was up.
    Wonder how much MLS will look to get for him.
    As a country over club guy, I'd like to see him leave as early as possible. The Eredivisie would be fantastic for him.

11. Barcasox

Barcasox Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's true that being at the red bulls means he's likely to stay in America longer than he would elsewhere. They've turned down an offer for Lindpere from a Premier League side, so they want to keep this side together for some time.

12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It would be a shame if NY stops Ream from going abroad. I am not big on Ream, but I wish if a good european club comes asking for him, he should be allowed to leave.

13. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's a shame when a team wants to keep their player.

Obviously if Tim really wanted to go and there was a reasonable offer for him, RBNY/MLS would be remiss in not letting him go. But neither of them is in the business of selling players to the first suitor with an underwhelming offer.

14. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

i see mathis' fiasco still haunts :D

15. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When will people realize that clubs at the professional level are meant to win first, develop second. Red Bulls are going to do whatever it takes to compete at the highest level. They owe no player or no federation anything. To be fair Ream owes a lot to Backe. Firstly being drafter at all and then allowing him to play his own style of football.

16. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Actually, its false. RBNY has to conform to the same salary cap as all the other teams in MLS do. The fact that they have more high salaried players on their roster than most other teams (considering Lindpere, DeRo, and maybe Dane are looking to get re-signed with a big bump in their base pay) means that NYRB are going to have to look for value/allocations sometime soon. Ream is a great value now, but if he plays to expectations throughout his contract, most MLS teams wont be able to afford him, including RBNY. (MLS defenders rarely make big coin.)

This is bull. 1st, Backe had nothing to do with drafting Ream.That was Soler and Richie. And after that, I think Ream earned everything hes gotten just by his work rate, attitude, professionalism, and his skill.

17. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he owes being drafted to the GM and not the head coach, your point? Obviously players should train their hardest to get into the team. But as we all know following Yanks through Europe into South America and parts of Asia that talent alone doesn't always get you on the field. A bit of luck and lot of faith in a young talent is often the case.

What's bull is to accept what others are saying in this thread that the Red Bulls should let him leave on a dime if PSV or any other team comes knocking. This isn't the case. Ream has a contract. One he signed knowing full well that he could take the Soony Saad route and travel abroad trialing to no avail.

The Euro route is always something players should strive for. The competition is higher and the ceiling isn't made of CCL Glass. But he isn't going to leave for a pennies just to develop. The Red Bulls haven't poured millions of dollars into the leaking bucket of MLS investments to see a player off they could just as easily keep.

Everyone and anyone in this thread is mad to suggest that the Red Bulls owe a player anything. Just as we are mad to suggest Tim should stay to see his contract through for the good of the Red Bulls. Business will be business.

18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'd look for him to leave when his contract is up. As a high performing, low salaried player he is a valuable commodity in MLS right now, while being a mid-level prospect for a European team. That doesn't bode well for a deal, especially with MLS usually pretty content to let players play out a contract rather than sell at a discount in the last year or so. But on a free, lots of team would be interested, which would also give Tim more options, something he may well be interested in waiting for. For the US national team's sake, I hope this is wrong as it would be much better to get him to Europe now so he can take a year or more to settle in and then build some experience before we go to Brazil. Waiting for his contract to be up could end up seeing him going through that adjustment period without a ton of playing time during our World Cup preparation year.

19. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Whats his contract? Is it the 2 year + 3 option years or the 3 year + 2 option years or is that only for GA players?

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There's a history of Euro clubs low-balling MLS in their offers for players........and MLS telling them to take a hike. Shalrie Joseph to Celtic is a famous example. Charlton's offer for Clint Dempsey being another, which if I remember correctly was about 1.5 million. Dempsey wasn't happy that MLS rejected that offer, but they're not going to give their players away for below-market value.

And we must remember that Garber has said repeatedly that MLS isn't in the business of selling their players for a profit. In other words there are clubs around the Western Hemisphere that have a business model which requires them to consistently sell players for profit. They need to do this to stay afloat. MLS doesn't need to do this.

I'm sure Tim Ream is interested in a move abroad. But we also know RBNY has stated repeatedly their desire to win silverware this season, and Ream is a key component of that plan. Maybe they'll tell him that he can leave in the January transfer window, or something like that. All I know is that if PSV wants the player, they're going to have to pay heavily.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's the 2+2 options deal.

He's on about $50k per year salary, which is ridiculously low by the way.

22. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone good enough to play for the Nats should at least make double that. At least!

23. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS baby.

24. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    50K in NY good luck Tim!

25. Gorky