News: Tim Hinchey is leaving the Rapids for USA Swimming.

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by _Ace_, Jun 1, 2017.

1. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fortcollins, kucsdat and COMtnGuy repped this.
  2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fitting..............he already sunk and drowned more than once with the Rapids. Maybe he can learn to "swim". He clearly could not with the Rapids. Adios! Have fun in your speedo! :) :D

Ok maybe I am being a little harsh on Hinchey. I realize he was hamstrung under the umbrella that is KSE. He did some good things. He did some ok things. He did some bad things. A mixed bag. Regardless, change is good and the RFO desperately needs a change in philosophy and mentality.

3. area815

area815 Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AC Siena
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't been on in a while, but just had to stop by and say WOOHOOOOOOOO!

m vann and Soaker888 repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is fair. Everyone knows my relationship with Tim but off the field he did a number of good things for this club, especially after detaching from being the face of the Front Office and the team's success (or lack of it).

m vann and fortcollins repped this.
  5. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally forgot!That's right you are great pals, beer buddies who golf together ;) :D

Like you alluded to, his off the field accomplishments far outweigh his on the field accomplishments. My stance tended to soften once he was no longer the RFO "Face", too

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interesting thing will be to see who replaces him. Somebody with soccer background and accomplishments?

9. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was his texting that killed me the most, which he eventually learned to not do. However, his Winter break was one of the best in business so I guess this new gig with 3 years off (Not true I know) beats 3 months.

IndyRapids04 and jayd8888 repped this.
  10. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    #10 RapidStorm, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

I feel bad for US Swimming though.

But seriously, in the last 6 months, we had a semi-successful season, then let our Technical Director go, became the worst team in MLS, and let our president go. The KSE blueprint stays on course!

COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better late than never. Some of the best news we've had in awhile.

IndyRapids04 and Centennial repped this.
  12. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I never got the sense Tim knew how to make a consistently competitive team with the resources he was given from KSE. Hiring Pablo as coach and spending millions on TH so we could have a star that would "put butts in seats" were not good decisions imo (Howard's play impacts, but not for those $). The lack of communication from the FO with fans (especially when explanations or apologies are in order) is disrespectful and makes the fans look like $ signs only to club mgmt. Overall I'm glad he's gone.

COMtnGuy and m vann repped this.
  13. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wew, the Rapids FB page is filtering the comments section of the press release quite heavily. He never was particularly good and ingratiating himself to the fans.

Hinchey did some good things for the club on the business side, and was markedly better than his predecessor. Ticket sales rose significantly during his reign, sponsorship money noticeably increased, and he was able to acquire a handful of DPs.

However, I never got the impression that he ever really had a clue how to handle the on-field product. In spite of the good things that happened on the business side, he had presided over a team that was very poorly managed and consistently one of the worst in the league.

He never seemed to hold anyone accountable for poor job performance and showed unjustified blind faith in personnel. The seeming constant chaotic state of team and the frequent turnover of technical staff, coaches, and assistant coaches shows a distinct inability to manage. His approach to PR was also basically one fresh disaster after another.

He legacy is very mixed to say the least.

However, this does mean even more instability in an already chaotic FO. Its safe to say I'm more than a little concerned over what useless and unqualified sack-of-shit bean-counter KSE will hire to replace him.

14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado

Pretty good? Imagine how many sponsorships he can sell with a winning team!

15. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Anyone involved with the creation of the 2018 Extended Preseason should be taken down a peg or two.

Soaker888, RapidStorm and COMtnGuy repped this.
  16. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've alway thought the real issue is KSE rather than Hinchey. In the couple of interactions I had with him, he seemed like a good guy. Agree that he had some challenges but some great successes (shirt sponsor and DPs) as well. My concern now is who replaces him ... very worried about that.

wormhole repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest problem with the Rapids is well upstream of Hinchey Falls, in the headwaters of the Enos Stanley swamp.

SccrDon, COMtnGuy, jayd8888 and 3 others repped this.
  18. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Tim settled in pretty well on the business side. I wish him luck.

Sports Yak repped this.
  19. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    My thoughts on Hinchey are pretty well summed up here. But as far as the business side of his time here, I mean, I'll give him credit for getting a jersey sponsorship, where his predecessors failed...but Hinchey also failed spectacularly there as well with Ciao. I'll give him credit for measures to raise attendance...but at the same time, we still had one of the worst attendances in the league every season he was here. I'll give him credit for increasing revenue...but also don't care, because of how much he and the technical directors have wasted on a poor performing team. I'll give him credit for raising STH numbers...but then his punting of the 2017 season undermines that effort and created ill will with many season ticket holders.

So...yeah, I can't give him anything but qualified praise for any of his time or efforts here.

IndyRapids04, COMtnGuy and Soaker888 repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think TH has punted every other season for a while, remember we changed coaches but did nothing personal wise.

21. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wasn't he also the marketing guy who was in on the player acquisition decisions? (At least according to Gary Smith.) That was not a good start to things.

22. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't realize USA Swimming was based in Colorado Springs, wonder why they don't build a huge aquatic center for that over the outdoor stadium idea.

23. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of interesting tidbits: USA Swimming has only had two CEOs since 1980 (job security), serves as a volunteer swin coach for a Special Olympics team, and he swam in college. This seems like a dream job for him. Again, always liked Tim and wish him luck. I'm now more worried about who KSE brings in.

Paranoid Coyote, JasonMa and jayd8888 repped this.
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This bit of Rapids news seems to be odd the radar, but as a fan and STH it's on my mind as theoretically they are in the hunt for up to three signings. So I am wondering who will play the Hinchey role in negotiating and getting the contract signed? Is that now up to Smith? Claudio Lopez? Will we have to wait until the new person is under contract before negotiations take place? (I hope not!)

From my perspective 90% of an evaluation of Hinchey has to do with what takes place on the pitch as he sets the foundations. I state this knowing that KSE has to be willing to be supportive to some extent.