Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He's a troll.

And a bit thin on facts.

2. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm not a troll. What have I said that isn't factual? And what is your fascination with Maurice Edu's appearances at Rangers? Go look back at your own posts. You literally make things up. Trust me, I know vastly more about how well/badly Americans played in Scotland.

Check the number of people on here that thought Bedoya did well at Rangers! Total Flop. I saw a post of yours which said something along the lines of " It took a bit of time for Bedoya and Beasley to cement their place at Rangers." I don't know if you're lying or just ignorant to the facts, but they never cemented their place, look at the stats, Bedoya barely played, and Beasley had something pitiful like 20 starts in three years, they properly flopped. Numerous Americans have failed in Scotland. Very few get pass marks.

The excuses you lot trot out are absolutely comical though! In this thread even, a guy saying that because Johnsen got six assists in one season he wasn't an absolute flop! Look at how wrong you all were in each thread. "Johnsen will tear that league apart." Oops!

You over hype your own players so much, then trot out ludicrous excuses when they inevitably fail.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You are a troll.

And you were factually incorrect regarding Edu.

And you are factually incorrect regarding my view of Johnsen.

And you are factually incorrect regarding Run DMB's Gers starts (using, of course, your own ILS - International Lafferty Standard.)

But you seem to enjoy trolling so I'm sure you'll carry on with your wee rants and rages.

kumuyc repped this.
  4. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Wow, a small penis joke. I'm so offended. You are still banging on about Edu and his appearances? Beasley failed. Zelalem failed. Johnsen failed. Bedoya failed. Kitchen failed. Cervi failed. A lot of them can cut it in The MLS but clearly The Scottish League is too much of a step up, Hyndman bang average at Hibs. Edu bang average. The final thing I'll say about Americans in Scotland, is must try harder. For the amount of yanks that have played here, the success rate has been absolutely shocking. Anybody that isn't wearing their Star spangled banner spectacles would say that. Claudio Reyna is by far the standout, and he was kicking about nearly 20 years ago!

5. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Oh you're right, 30 starts in 3 seasons. That changes the complexion of it completely. He averaged ten starts a year! Wow, he was a rip roaring success! Much like how I purposefully left out Johnsen's cup stats. Because that MASSIVE EXTRA ONE GOAL HE SCORED WOULD MAKE MY POINT MOOT. Delusional.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Again. You were wrong about Edu.

It's not that hard to simply say you were.

The funny thing is, I'm the one most often defending the SPL around here, but you have some weird inferiority complex that has you barking at every car that passes.

You're an odd fellow.

Deeneaus repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I have no idea what you're on about here, but you're sounding more like a Trump tweet than a soccer post.

Do you drink too much, perhaps?

Regardless, it's good Weah got on the board already. Even against lower division teams, just getting a ball in the net and feeling like part of the team can be a big step for a young player.

Winoman repped this.
  8. pauljf

pauljf Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Triggered!
    I don't drink. I'm teetotal, thanks. Yes, I'll "admit" I thought Edu had one season where he got more than 30 appearances, he has had two. Big deal. The point is every guy I've said are flops, were flops in Scotland. Regardless of whether or not Beasley, had 20 or 30 starts in three years, or whether Johnsen scored six or seven goals. They flopped. Beasley flopped in both Scotland and England.

9. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Mr. Pauljf is the second entry on my ignore list. Welcome.

Deeneaus, TxEx, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad Weah is being used as a striker - never thought his best position was winger (where the USSF genuises had him)

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Would you settle for Weah as a wide forward?

{from a U17 match thread v Paraguay, October 2017}

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Very few modern formations employ a wide forward. It's usually a winger that moves into a more attacking position when the team is dominating. Dedicated wide forwards are almost a thing of the past, the modern 4-3-3 uses either the wingers mentioned above, or two AMs, or a mobile CAM plus a SS.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    i downvote you good sir

EricSunRa, largegarlic and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    It's the same posters every time. Zero self control or awareness.

16. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. And my plea was made two pages ago and it still continued. Sigh......

Winoman repped this.
  17. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Dude, c'mon. Weah at Celtic is the thread topic.

18. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Stay on topic. A page of yanks at Rangers... c'mon guys.

Winoman repped this.
  19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #2119 The Irish Rover, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    FYP

eliwood and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  20. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I approve your edit.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  21. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the complete time Timo (yep, that's what they call him) was on yesterday, and he was definitely not the CF/ST. Good ol' Oliver Burke of West Ham (?) had that opportunity and bottled quite a few.

Tim played LW, either with license to come inside at will or a pissed of Brodge. Most likely the former, as frankly, Weah's movement was a lot like SAS back in Brodge's LFC days. Even though they were referred to as a strike partnership, IIRC one of them almost always started out wide. In the few times they played a diamond, one always drifted wide while out of possession so they could make that similar run that Vardy makes all the time and Gerrard could take out the whole defense with one ball.

All of that to say, it looks like Weah will get plenty of scoring chances from central positions regardless of where he starts.

TimB4Last repped this.
  22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A self-awareness failure on your part, I'm afraid. You don't have too many friends on here. None at all in fact.

pauljf repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Good. So now we're at least at the point where we can agree that Edu, who was selected for some of Gers most important CL games during his time there, had 125 appearances - despite doing his cruciate while at Gers (more than Gazza, Gio and other "successful" Gers players) simply was not a flop in Scotland. That claim is just silly. He even transferred from SPL to EPL (where, indeed, he was a "flop.")

I'm not sure why you're on about Johnsen as if anything I underrated him when he was at Gers, as his ADO season was better than I expected.

But this is a Weah/Celtic thread. Your need to run from thread to thread trolling is odd.

25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, persuasion didn't work. Thread ban in place for a while.