Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not really sure what the definition of a "true American" is and didn't realize that didn't include dual nationals.

But, he has access to at least 4 passports -- US, Liberia, Jamaica & France. That French passport allows him to be playing in France right now.

And, he's chosen the US for his team and is provisionally cap-tied to the US. One can't tell the future, but he's likely the USA's if he continues to make steady process.

2. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    He was born and raised in the US if that's what you are asking. Through his parents he has access to other nationalities and I am sure this helped his process as a 16/17 year old in getting the necessary paperwork done to sign with PSG.

Cpt_Savior, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  3. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Born and raised in the USA. Pretty sure he has automatic Liberian citizenship via Jus sanguinis

4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks for the details guys.

Wasn't sure if he's another European with a US passport. Sounds like he's a US born and breed kid, with a Euro passport. Much like Pulisic. Hopes he does well and can crack that PSG's A team in another year or 2.

5. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, man.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I understand the point @smokarz was making.

Whether people want to admit it, there's a difference between Brooks, Chandler, FJ compared to Pulisic, Bradley, Dempsey. They are all every bit as American as each other, and every bit as worthy of wearing the NT shirt, but its just the truth that they come from different backgrounds. Some people with US citizenship don't grow up in the USA. Some don't get American citizenship until later in their life. Some don't even visit the USA until later in their life. There is a difference between a lot of our players on the NT, it would be naive to act like there aren't different factions that players fall into within the NT. A lot of NT's have this. The Turkish NT has players who grow up in Germany. The French NT has players who grew up in Africa. The Algerian NT has players who grew up in France. The Jamaican NT has players who grew up in England. Its just the way it is, happens all around the world.

But Weah does not really fit into this group. He grew up in the USA, lived here for his whole life before moving out of the USA for his footballing career. He seems to enjoy playing for the NT. Could he switch to another NT? Sure, its possible, although I don't get the sense that its a big possibility. His father's national team is not very competitive, neither is his mother's. And what connection does he really have to France. How does he even qualify for French citizenship? I don't know. I won't act like I know how he feels, but I would think he's not really the type of player we should be worrying about whether he'll switch to another NT.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah's father naturalized to France during his long playing career there.

I think our concern was the "true American" phrase, which is a bit loaded. Even "dual national" doesn't help, because most of our current US squad are dual citizens. "Foreign-raised" or "foreign developed" makes a bit more sense.

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Landon ********ing Donovan is a dual citizen, just to drive that point home further.

9. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Mercenaries is the word

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Let me differentiate that for you.

True Americans - Altidore, Dempsey, Bradley, Pulisic, Howard, Guzan, etc. Born here (or came here as a child), raised here, went to Kindergarten here, had their first kiss here, probably f***k their first girl here, parents live and work here, family live here, all their childhood friends are here...blah blah blah.

Dual Nationals - FJ, Chandler, Brooks, Green, etc. Opposite of the above. Qualify to play for the US because mom or dad is a US citizen.

Would I want to have very good/great dual nationals play for the USMNT team? Absolutely. As long as they're proud to fight for our jersey and give it their all every single time.

Any more questions?

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are Zelalem and Dom Dwyer?

What about Giuseppe Rossi?

12. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We understand what you mean, but implying dual nationals aren't "true Americans" is kinda tasteless. A different phrase, such as the ones suggested would be better received.

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

There's no need to be politically correct here. It's just facts. Even el Bruce said it himself.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's a fact? That there are 'true Americans'? No.

Winoman repped this.
  15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When did Preston Zimmerman create a BigSoccer account?

16. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell John Brooks, whose dad served in the US military, that's he's not a true American. It's not being politically correct, it's ACTUALLY a fact.

17. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people are just grossly ignorant.

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our boy is back with the U17s for the first time since the CONCACAF Championship.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...for-vaclav-jezek-tournament-in-czech-republic
    FORWARDS (6): Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Ulysses Llanez (LA Galaxy; Lynwood, Calif.), Alejandro Pereira (Orlando City SC; Oviedo, Fla.), Jacobo Reyes (C.F. Monterrey; Monterrey, Mexico), Josh Sargent (Scott Gallagher Missouri; O'Fallen, Mo.), Timothy Weah (Paris Saint-Germain F.C.; Rosedale, N.Y.)

19. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondolowski is pretty close

20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Clint Mathis is a true American. His Mohawk is a true American.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His parents activities have little to do with his own. Would you attack Brooks if his father was a murderer? If not, then you can't praise Brooks if his father is a saint.

superdave repped this.
  22. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I like when new news come out for a player and makes people remember they were arguing in a certain thread.

23. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can anyone familiar with french soccer give a quick idea what level he will be playing at this year? i know hes signed his first pro contract over the summer, and found one psg website in english butthat didnt have him listed in either the first team nor reserves. is it a fairly standard u17, u20, u23 system (that play the nice and lyon u-whatvers)? is there simply a "reserve" team that plays in a lower division? just curious what the road to the first team looks like for him...

24. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    French academy system is setup to where there are three main squads, U-17 and U-19 and then a reserve side. The reserves play in either the 4th or 5th division, they can't be promoted higher than 4th. I like that they don't bother having U-20/U-21 teams.

Tim was playing mostly w/ U-17s last year but got some PT w/ U-19s as well. He's listed on the U-19 roster over at transfermarkt, he'll prolly play this season w/ U-19s full time and if he does really well perhaps a loan next season. Ligue 1 gave the most minutes to youth out of the top 5 leagues last season and PSG are willing to loan out their young talent but it's uncertain to me how highly he's rated by staff. There are about 5 other players younger than him listed on the roster but I'm not sure if any are signed to a pro deal like him.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I've checked some PSG forums a few times, they seem to rate him highly. He's one of the only players in his age group with a pro contract, but I don't get the sense they think he's like an incredible prospect or anything like that.