Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Right now I don't think the difference between the second-tier BuLi teams and the second-tier Ligue teams is as big as it used to be. I'd say overall play in the Bundesliga is trending down, at least when compared to the other top leagues in Europe.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Uh, Ajax and PSG both have 4-in-a-row in the "modern" era. Now Lyon, THAT was a reign.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, PSG are nouveau riche and, like ManCity at first, they still don't know what to do with the Sheikhs' money.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #2854 LouisianaViking07/09, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    I guess it's too much to expect them to try not to launder it?

Could re-invest some of that in their women's team or the women's league.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The Eredivise is waaay more competitive than Ligue 1. Ajax and PSV are neck-and-neck this season. Last season, PSV finished 4 points ahead of Ajax and 12 ahead of AZ. The season before, Feyenoord finished 2 points ahead of Ajax and only 6 ahead of PSV. In fact, since Qatar bought PSG in late 2011, Holland has had 3 champions and an average victory margin of 5.5 points, with the title being decided by two points or less twice, and by four points on another two occasions.

In the same period, PSG has lost the title only once and the average winning margin has been 13.5 points, with the lowest margin being 8 points and a 31-point blowout in 2015-16.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To add: on April 7, Ajax went top of the league for the first time since May 2016.

Truly one of the worst examples I've ever seen given on this website.

7. :ROFLMAO:

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. they'd eventually ask to be paid the same of more than the men. :D

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And the Ered is lots of fun to watch until the last day, since they have the playoff for relegation, and often you don't know who's winning it until the last game. In pure entertainment, the Ered is tops, even more fun than the action-packed EPL where you usually know the winner with two or three games to go.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If we're being honest, though, the Ered is a 2 team league, which, of course, is more competitive than a 1 team league - though I don't think Ligue 1 has quite enough PSG domination yet to make that claim. In the "modern era" Ajax/PSV have won 25 and 21 titles respectively. Feynoord is a distant 3rd with 10.

Since 1974!! Feynie have won 4, AZ 2, Twente 1 - the rest went to Ajax or PSV... 44 soon to be 45 seasons!

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Still better than the BuLi where you can bet Bayern is going to win the next season.

12. upload_2019-4-19_22-14-12.png
    Since the turn of the millenium we only won 1 title (2016-2017) with AZ and FC Twente, PSV 10, Ajax 6. However in that same time frame we were the only Dutch club to win European silverware.
    Dunno if this Transfermarkt table is correct as I spot a couple of probable faults.

13. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all know that Gio Reyna is named after Giovanni Van Bronckhorst, right?

14. I know:)

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I won't tell you what Celtic fans called him back in the day...

Those Gers-Orange teams were really one of the peaks YA eras.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Reminds me of our 2-party state being stronger than a "1 party state" :D

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They all golf together.

18. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 party States tend to clamp down on parties. They sound too much like non-sanctioned activities.

DeCoverley repped this.
  19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Pretty much, although to be fair to them concerning their current Ligue 1 problems, against Nantes PSG were missing Neymar, Cavani, Thiago Silva, Marquinhos and Thomas Meunier (injured), as well as Marco Verratti and Juan Bernat (suspended). They also rested Ángel dí Maria (he's been picking up a few minor knocks, apparently) and dropped Mbappé for mouthing off at his team-mates after the Lille debacle and, by implication, the coach (the team “lacked personality”).

Their problems may have more to do with their recruitment policy than Ligue Un's relative weakness. Assembling a bunch of world class talents based on their star quality leaves a squad unbalanced: a starting XI that's as good as anyone, but no decent backups when the stars are unavailable.

Real Madrid had that problem during Florentino Perez's previous stint as president. "Galacticos y Pavones" (Pavon was a youth team graduate) sounded good, but the Pavons either never had the ability or weren't able/forced to develop the mental toughness (Pavon got only 106 games in all competition over 6 seasons for Real and eventually retired at 31), while the ones that did (Fernando Morientes in particular) could never get a run of games or establish a best position.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Even now the "Pavón of the Match" in Real Madrid slang is the worst player in a given game. Of course in Spanish "pavo" is a turkey, and a "pavón" is a big turkey (or a peacock, too).

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Weah played the final 6 minutes today for Celtic in a 0-0 draw at Hibernian.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Isn't that enough for an SPL winner's medal?

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he joins Reyna, Beasley and Edu in that case.

The Irish Rover and wixson7 repped this.
  24. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Watched his 10 minutes. Created Celtic best chance. Lennon is a disaster

wixson7 repped this.