Earning his stripes: Timothy Weah at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Aug 8, 2014.

?

What should we name the thread?

Poll closed Jul 6, 2019.
  1. Where there’s a Lille, there’s a Weah! Tim at LOSC

71 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Say hello to my Lille friend! Tim Weah at LOSC

54 vote(s)
    43.2%
  1. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celtic fans on Twitter are basically willing to mortgage their own homes to pay for a permanent transfer for Timo after getting in Jones et als faces after the game. They are in love with him.

2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Gets 15 minutes, comes in at 0-0 then goes a man up. Couple easy touches and not much action until 5 min left. Then he has 3 great possessions.

1st was super tight control in tight space just outside of box on right side, great footwork and clever. Puts in dangerous cross.

2nd was a great run and ball played in behind perfectly to him, controls the difficult 1st touch brilliantly and cuts a dangerous cross in, results in corner in which Scott brown scores.

3rd was another great run and ball played behind, shows good body position and strength, one times it with tough angle and hits outside of post.

Post game scenes on Celtic tv are so awesome. Don’t want to over discuss his post game antics but would prefer the winning team to just keep their mouth shut. Stupid yellow in my opinion, but he was excited and cocky. I’m ok with that one time only.

Celtic fans filled both ends of the stadium so the team celebration in one side was cool, but then walked to the other end to do it again...very cool scenes.

Overall.. short cameo but made the most of it. Great composure in the ball and high energy. Well done.

3. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timo Face

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How many times have you seen a forward come on in the 80th minute and actually do something productive? It's more often a wasted sub, because it usually takes forwards a while to get into the rhythm of a game.

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    What is story of the super grumpy frowning girl/sister? next to his mom. As he was coming on, you did think she’d be happy after making trip to Scotland and sitting in the cold. That was resting bitch face if I’ve ever seen one. Damn.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Lookingforleftbacks and DMTerp02 repped this.
  7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I have no idea, but Weah and Sargent both came with less than 15 mins left of regulation and got involved immediately.

Edit: They both also impacted the result of the game.

WheezingUSASupport repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although the corner was not awarded, on the replay I believe the keeper actually tipped the ball onto the post so his shot was on target.

I have no problem with the yellow because it was done after the game ended, so there was no risk of jeopardizing the result. In a physical game like soccer, old fashioned animal intimidation can be important. If the opposition senses fear or weakness, he will see his attempts at intimidation. By standing up for himself, Weah sends a message that he's not to be messed with. Of course, this shouldn't happen every game or even every 10 games. But a couple times a season with minimal harm to the team (e.g., a yellow for a substitute attacker is no big deal) is no problem.

Also, see how it galvanized the fanbase, just like Miazga against Lainez. For better or worse this endears the fans to Weah. He will need their support.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  9. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Don’t mind that one meme worthy part, but if anyone watched the whole thing they’d see him continuing to taunt using the hand-talking gesture over and over while his teammates tried to get him to stop.

Either way, won’t be over analyzing. Just saying that a few moments of post game chest bumping is fine, but sustained and continued is a a bit much.

And how things change after getting completely embarrassed a few games prior.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-2-17_14-6-8.jpeg

Sorry to go OT, but I’d say the chance of Idris Elba playing George Weah is north of 99%.

russ, HouseHead78, freisland and 3 others repped this.
  11. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    You know who did you know what..

1097205221212766208 is not a valid tweet id

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "My dad has more wives than your dad!"

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    I'm not sure what activity preceded the end of game taunting but the Killie players were giving him a bit of shoving without consequences as the ref pulled out the yellow. No physical contact in that clip by Timo.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    No need for Weah to get physical - he let's his mouth do the talking!

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Actually, from what I've seen of the Scottish Premier, a lot of the physical stuff goes unpunished. You're more likely to get a yellow over getting a bit too mouthy than over shoving other players again and again.

He needs to shove back. Scots are fine with some manly roughhousing.

Dirt McGirt and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Mbappe with another goal. What's the consensus? Would Weah have been giving a chance?
    Choupo-Moting still with only one goal in his first game nearly 5 months ago.

y-lee-coyote repped this.
  18. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Saw him at Stoke, and did not like how he played with no heart. He had the skills to help them despite the coach, and yet mostly seemed to only care to play for show with no grit.

19. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should go on the reddit thread “Old School Cool”

russ and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    This guy would like a word:

[​IMG]

And the word is "bollocks."

21. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    He needs to lift weights first.

If he bulks up like Mbappe, he could become a formidable player.

22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's what Jozy thought.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    That's tricky for soccer players. Onyewu had a love for weights and I think it hurt his career. ALL players on serious teams lift, but very carefully and not for bulk.

24. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is an interesting prospect. I think he might have been given a window of opportunity at some point. But if he keeps killing it at Celtic, hopefully that will be enough to keep moving up the ranks. I thought he looked pretty good in the last game, getting some good xKP's (is that a stat?) in.

25. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Ehhhh... Don’t force it.. his meme will come. Leave Dempsey face for the master.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.