News: Thursday, March 15 , 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Mar 15, 2018.

1. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    When did he change his middle name?
    I always thought it started with “H”.

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's long been my argument against pro/rel. Where's the infrastructure? It simply doesn't exist in this country.

3. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  4. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #29 Len, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Jesus The Christ.

btw I've also seen Jesus Tapdancing Christ which cracks me up.........although not everyone in this part of the country appreciates the imagery.

jayd8888 repped this.
  5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is this the same tech that Qatar promised?

Pro/Rel is idiotic if the difference in money between divisions is as large as it currently is.

A significant amount of Championship clubs are teetering on financial problems. Ellis Short is willing to sell his club for FREE if someone takes on the debt.

If the business plan is basically "find a sugar daddy" to support the club, then they only survive as long as the sugar daddy likes his little pet.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like someplace in England, if'n ya axe me! And I didn't realize there were so many deciduous trees in Arizona. They take a lot of water, if ther's one thing there is a lot of in Arizona, it's rainfall. So much that the original European settlers there wanted to call it "New Belgium."

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey @Ismitje, the last sentence of this post is appallingly racist and conspiratorial. This isn't the Breitbart comment section.

8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Yea the taxation part of it has been in place for some time from what I remember.

Most countries bet on the foreign fan spending being high enough to more than offset the costs needed.

Completely agree that this last part about having a FIFA Lane is absurd. Don’t remember hearing anything about that in 2002 or earlier. Anyone in FIFA expects to be treated like kings, screw em.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. noel R

noel R Member

Nov 20, 2007
    chicago
    The fact that someone is assuming morons automatically equals a minority group is racist.

skuffdcmc and Eric B repped this.
  10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver and Minneapolis have withdrawn as well...

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. And yet when I mention the idea of MLS teams needing to stand on their own feet and not overspend (within reason, they don't have to be in the black exactly) people think that's an unreasonable standard. If the only way for a Colorado to be successful is for KSE to spend part of their vast resources on the team far beyond what the team can return, that's a problem for both Colorado and the league eventually.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  12. Ferdinand Cesarano

NYCFC
    Sep 21, 2005
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Even more fundamentally, pro/rel would scare off the investors of the desired calibre in the first place. The set of people who are willing to own a team that is sure to be part of the top-flight league is a whole lot bigger than the set of people who are willing to gamble on a team whose value could suddenly bottom out.

The pro/rel goofballs will retort: "But what about the purchases of English clubs by super-rich investors?" Of course the answer there is that those teams have long histories going back to the early part of the 20th century, or sometimes even to the 19th century. This is what drives those teams' values, despite the chance (exceedingly remote for the biggest teams) of relegation. None of this is comparable to teams that have not been created yet, or to teams that were created after football had already become big business.

Another problem is that the pro/rel people really don't understand that we want the richest possible owners. (As I am reminded whenever I am stupid enough to argue with one of them.) The funny thing is that I agree with the pro/rel crowd in principle that the super-rich are by necessity scumbags. But if we can convince those scumbags to use their money to fund our entertainment, we definitely need to do that. Speaking as someone who supports NYCFC, Chelsea, and the Nets, I have already made my peace with the idea of my teams' owners being very bad people. Rational fans must compartmentalise.

The worst thing is that these people fetishise pro/rel as some kind of essential feature linked to the heart of the sport, rather than grasping that it was simply a workaround to provide league spaces for more teams than the Football League could accommodate at its founding in the 1880s. I try to explain -- futilely, I know -- that the American baseball leagues that were founded at roughly the same time (the National League dates to 1876) did not use that model, that that model has never been used in any league in any sport in this country, and that to introduce it now when the initial investment is the highest it has ever been would be absurd and counterproductive.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That (the FIFA lane) is what I was referring to.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never looked, but I wonder how many of those investors bought clubs that really risk relegation. Hell, even Venky's bought a Blackburn side that was no real risk to fall as far as League One (relegation from the EPL to the Championship was never far from our minds though) until Venky's themselves ran it into the ground.

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As long as I don't support the team, soccer needs more owners like Venky's.

You had the advertisements.

and the protests

(It has happened more than once which is just great)

jaykoz3 and JasonMa repped this.
  16. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way to deal with a stupid demand like this is to say "Sure, no problem!" then forget to do it. What's FIFA going to do?

17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Pro/Rel is based on high popularity, small countries, and high concentration of clubs. All of which is not currently true in the US.
    When there is alot of teams in a reasonably small area where its impossible for dozens of teams to play each other its time to have multiple leagues in a sense competing with each other.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
  20. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Probably because this isn't baseball. Field dimensions are going to be the same in ever stadium and there is only so much you can do with a rectangle shaped stadium unless you have billion dollar budgets like the NFL.

21. Ron36pc

Ron36pc Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how the "Real Feel" Temperatures in Phoenix compare with the humidity on most evenings in Houston. Looks like summer air temperature lows are about 5 to 8 F cooler in Houston than Phoenix, but Houston has super high humidity raising the "Real Feel" considerably. I wonder how players and fans managed through Phoenix Rising's season last year. Is it something where season-ticket attendance is sustainable on a 1-year basis, but eventually the high-paying fans give up as ongoing year after year ticketholders??

I do think one of the issues that limits attendance at FC Dallas and Houston Dynamo is that "major-league" sports fans in those cities are coming to expect air conditioned comfort (Texans, Astros, Cowboys, and in 2020, the Rangers all playing indoors). Only the Texas soccer teams will play out in the elements.

22. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Qatar promised floating air conditioners or something ridiculous like that.

23. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Floating air conditioners that would blot out the sun, Montgomery Burns style.

24. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    John Horgan being scared of Andrew Weaver isn't really a good excuse in Vancouver.

Even the Mayor (who comes from the same political stripe) isn't happy