News: Thursday, June 15, 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by El Chico Carmona, Jun 15, 2017.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has this changed?

International Travel and DUI convictions in France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Greece, The United Kingdom (at least until the exit vote from the EU is complete), and all countries in the European Union (EU) have one policy, which makes it easier to predict what will happen when entering individual member countries. The European Union does not make a DUI a prohibited offense. Great Britain is part of the EU, but even before they joined, did not consider a DUI to be a “criminal offense”. (They consider it to be a misdemeanor, but only “criminal offenses” were excludeable).

2. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Watching that video shows that it could have been so much worse.

sitruc and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    You're completely correct. I meant to quote IronDuke who commented that Larin should be forced to watch documentaries about Charlie Davies' incident prior to the 2010 World Cup.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was beginning to look up if it actually happened in Arlington County or the City of Alexandria and then I realized I have been on the Internet too long and that's not important. He ********ed up. The people he was with ********ed up. A woman died.

JasonMa, Gamecock14 and AndyMead repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee Hughes of West Brom killed someone when drunk and drove off. He surrendered at a police station when he sobered up. He signed for Notts County when he got out of the clink and scored 59 goals in 128 games for us. Fans were very conflicted.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No and no. Not a friend but a groupie, and no difference whatsoever. He did something similarly stupid in France later.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe that for a second. GB has always been tough on drunk drivers, much tougher than some US States. And how do you remember UK law from 1973?

UK laws
    Being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
    You may get:

3 months’ imprisonment
    up to £2,500 fine
    a possible driving ban

Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
    You may get:

6 months’ imprisonment
    an unlimited fine
    a driving ban for at least 1 year (3 years if convicted twice in 10 years)

Refusing to provide a specimen of breath, blood or urine for analysis
    You may get:

6 months’ imprisonment
    an unlimited fine
    a ban from driving for at least 1 year

Causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink
    You may get:

14 years’ imprisonment
    an unlimited fine
    a ban from driving for at least 2 years
    an extended driving test before your licence is returned

8. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    He wasn't driving in either instance, so how is it the same as Larin getting behind the wheel drunk?

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Ya, major difference. Committing suicide by driving or committing suicide by sitting in the car. Or if you wish killing someone or encourage killing someone. Legally different, but actually the same.

10. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    So if I've been out drinking and I call an Uber to take me home. That Uber driver did a line of coke right before picking me up and then kills someone in a collision. Its my fault that person died because I got in the car with the Uber driver?

11. ken0sha

ken0sha Member

AS Roma and Whitecaps FC
    United States
    Dec 29, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of reasons it's proclaimed as such. The example that best underscores the argument for me is that multinationals often set up their Latin American HQ in Miami for a lot of reasons. Think about that-- Miami isn't in Latin America-- yet.

sitruc and Gamecock14 repped this.
  12. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Miami in MLS will mean a constant parade of its Spanish-speaking stars and those of visiting teams on Univision's slate of shows. Very good PR possibilities.

Sounders78, jaykoz3 and The Franchise repped this.
  13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If he did a line of coke with you, then "yes".

Just Offside repped this.
  14. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    I don't agree with you. It can't be everyone's responsibility to monitor the BAC of every other person in the club before getting into a car. You are entitled to your opinion, but I just can't agree with you.

Allez RSL and JasonMa repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of have to agree with you. I understand where @butters59 is coming from and I don't completely disagree with him either but we are talking about a situation where the person making this decision has impaired thinking. If you're smart enough to know you shouldn't drive are you really going to have the cognitive ability to know your friend has had too many? Its hard to make that assumption.

Now having the presence of mind to try to cover for your friend? That's just complete stupidity and evidence you should have been smart enough not to let them drive.

16. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    I might be completely mis-remembering this particular situation, but I don't think there was alcohol involved in that one. Wasn't it a case that the teammate had a history of reckless driving and he switched seats to avoid losing his license of something. Not condoning that either, but it is hardly the same as trying to cover for a drunk driver.

I also remember being pretty hard on Davies at the time. But still not quite the same situation...if my memory is correct.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not the level of the crime, but the pattern of poor decision making.

JasonMa repped this.
  19. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Like I said...not condoning. But if we're talking about drunk driving, or being party to drunk driving, that incident in France, while extremely poor judgement, really isn't relevant.

20. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #71 Paul Berry, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    FIFA are clamping down on mobbing the referee during the Confederations Cup.

FIFA were immediately surrounded by a group of players complaining about the decision. "Oh come on FIFA that's not fair, hey, hey, you can't do that, who's side are you on FIFA? Hey! What about UEFA, hey, hey, what about them, are they doing that? Hey, why are you doing that, it's just stupid, worst decision I've ever heard, oh **** off FIFA?"

PTFC in KCMO, Len, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just realized that confed cup starts on Saturday. So what time does it start. I am asking because Fox hasn't exactly advertised.

23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe match 1 kicks off at 9am EDT.

24. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scratch that. 11am EDT according to FIFA

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't get me wrong. I get it that MLS is a business that wants to grow and that characters like Ronaldo, easily one of the best all time, would be a phenomenal draw. If he's even tempted to come to MLS I would love to see it for the sake of the league.

In my ideal world, however, MLS doesn't need him and the asshat finds some way to gracefully fade from the front pages. I just don't abide well by megalomaniacs, I guess.