News: Thursday, February 15, 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by El Chico Carmona, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    (Spanish)FIFA President mentions financial imbalance in soccer world and references MLS model "Americans have the most regulated system in the world and they can win like any other. They understood that they need balanced competition to be successful."

http://www.directvsports.com/futbol...-content&utm_medium=Sports&utm_term=Post-Nota

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Real Madrid and its presidents have been among the most ardent pushing for greater economic disparity, with more funds for individual teams in the CL and fighting against balanced TV contracts in Spain. I have a hard time imagining them being on board with salary caps.

Gamecock14 and JasonMa repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the stat a few years ago? Something like 85% of Spanish teams are financially underwater? And I know Real and Barca keep getting tax breaks because the Spanish government doesn't want to deal with the fallout if those two actually had to pay their debts (and then there's Operation Puerto).

in short, I don't think Real and Barca should be dictating terms for the health of Spanish soccer anytime soon.

4. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Not just tax breaks--Real was getting no-interest loans from big banks.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be clear, the article has nothing to say specifically about Spanish football. It's just that the article was written in Spanish. It's about Infantino talking about how much is spent in transfers and saying that football would be great if leagues were run with tight regulations like MLS.

Hill Giant repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's that sound I hear in the distance???? Oh....right, it's the exploding heads of Tinfoil Ted and his boot lickers....

7. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension

But that is not how they do it in Europe. I mean, MLS does not even run on the English soccer, er, I mean, football calander,

8. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but they have the magic of pro/rel

NashSC, TxEx and JasonMa repped this.
  9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just once, I wish Ted and the pro/rel Eurosnobs would just admit that what they really admire and wish for is not European soccer in general, but European Champions League soccer specifically.

In their feverish dreams, if MLS doesn't become a league full of Barcelonas, Bayerns, Madrids, Manchesters, and Milans, it's worthless.

They really couldn't care less about Mainz vs. Freiburg, Las Palmas vs Alaves, or Huddersfield vs Brighton, but they'll never, ever, ever admit it.

Coyote89, TOAzer, The Franchise and 11 others repped this.
  10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Spot on.

Coyote89 repped this.
  11. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Meanwhile, these same European leagues and teams are looking over the Atlantic out of the corner of their eye envying the MLS business model and their ability to keep costs down, have modern, world class stadiums, top notch facilities and training grounds, and the fact you can’t go three steps without tripping over a multi-billionaire owner.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And many (most?) of them couldn't tell the difference in the quality between TFC and Huddersfield if the teams weren't labelled, despite all their claim of soccer expertise.

Todorojo, Sachsen, Len and 4 others repped this.
  13. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'll take it a step further and say a large portion of those that complain about MLS probably haven't even watched more than an hour of MLS in the last year. When I read the things people say online about the league, it makes me think they're just making things up or going off of a preconceived notion of what they think it's like.

Stupid_American, Sachsen, Len and 3 others repped this.
  14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you don't have to go far sadly, have a look at this beaut of a thread..............

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/is-mls-a-failure.2081181/

I regretfully checked this out as it was a "Trending Thread" on this site......whole lotta stupid over there.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ow...my head...

jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    funny no mention how there the only league that's actually doing any kind of youth development.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to bring a little reason...I failed miserably.

Sachsen and jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no reasoning with that lot. The OP kept saying no one was answering his OQ even though at least 4 posters had............

The Franchise and Bluecat82 repped this.
  19. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    That's cute. I wish this was 2009 so I could neg rep him.

20. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Huddersfield were once Premier League (well Div 1) champions, and have a proud and distinguished history. You are right though, MLS has improved a lot in the last few seasons, a couple of teams with lower level Premier League potential maybe. There is a lack of genuine creativity in midfield (I would say that of the Premier League as well, bar the top 4 or 5), but that I think is the most difficult thing to coach. Are there any young free spirits coming through the system you fellas reckon we should watch out for this side of the pond?

21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but Town was last D1 champs 92 years ago and while I'm sure they are loved by their fans, most of that distinguished history took place in D2 and D3. You are being a bit generous, I would say MLS's best team Toronto would be a mid-upper Championship team and I'm an MLS guy. 538s club rankings ironically has Toronto one spot above Huddersfield Town and in-between Derby County and Fulham. I'm sure there are some young guys that would love to play in England but your work permits make it hard and plus most of our young guys that do go over just sit on the bench anyways. England is not a great place for young guys to go to develop. They need to be a finished project.

JasonMa repped this.
  22. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Is this the Feb 22 thread?