#throwbackthursday: Top 10 FCD Playoff Moments

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Oct 26, 2017.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So watching the playoffs from the sideline is no fun (but then again neither is going to Vancouver and getting your ass kicked 5-0). So I've decided to compile the top 10 moments (or games) in FCD's 21 year history...

10. 1997: Dallas defeat LA at the Rose Bowl in game 1 of the Western Conference Semifinals: LA had never lost at home in the playoffs at that point (yes, it was only the 2nd season and we won in a shootout). This set the stage for us to take them apart at the Cotton Bowl, 3-0 and sweep the series.

9. 2007: Goodson scores against Houston in leg 1 of the Western Conference Semifinals: This was at the height of our hatred with Houston and we had a so-so season. Winning game 1 was a must but most of us weren't expecting much. We played well and Goodson's rocket goal off a scramble in the box was as sweet as the 1-0 advantage we took back down to Robertson. We just won't talk about the 2nd leg.

8. 1999: Dallas defeats LA in a shootout in game 2 of the Western Conference Finals: Dallas had lost a heartbreaking 1-0 game at the Rose Bowl thanks to a last minute goal on Halloween 1999. Game 2 was a back and forth affair that ended 2-2. Dallas won the shootout with some big saves from a young Matt Jordan. This was uncharted territory for the club, going within a game of MLS Cup.

7. 2015: Fabian Castillo scores in Seattle in leg 1 of the Western Conference Semifinals: We had a record season and Castillo was on fire, however we were all nervous about playing Seattle who we always played horribly. Getting the away goal and the belief was huge. As one of like two FCD fans in that crowd, it was a sweet moment.

6. 2010: Eric Avila scores the game winning goal late in leg 1 of the Western Conference Semifinals vs RSL: We had a very solid season but 2010 was a weird time for the club. The league barely avoided a player strike and our weak FO marketing strategy was even weaker. So the crowds were small. However, the 10,000 or whatever that was at leg 1 vs RSL will remember jumping around for joy when Avila hit a sweet rocket into the opposite corner to take a 2-1 advantage to Rio Tinto.

5. 2010: Dax McCarty scores an away goal at RSL in leg 2 of the Western Conference Semifinals: RSL packed Rio Tinto and were defending champions. Despite our good season, they expected to handle us easily, especially with the away goal they had coming into leg 2. Dax scoring after a nice run from Shea meant that advantage was gone and that we had a 3-1 lead. We eventually won the series 3-2.

4. 2010: David Ferreira scores in MLS Cup 2010 to give Dallas a (temporary) lead: Obviously this one ended in heartbreaking fashion, losing on an own goal against our bogey playoff foes. However, when Ferreira finished off that cross on the near post, we all dared to dream we were about to lift MLS Cup.

3. 1999: Ariel Graziani scores the game winner vs Chicago in game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals: Dallas was at the peak of their rivalry with new boys Chicago. Dallas had won game 1 in Dallas but lost game 2 badly at Solider Field 4-0. It all came down to a midweek game 3 at the Cotton Bowl. Dallas went down 2-0 early and it looked like we were going to fall short to the Fire yet again. Then came the comeback. Deering with a back post header, Zarco with a PK and Graz with the finish off the underside of the crossbar with less than 5 minutes left. The game was regarded as the best MLS game for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZvODDiMsGQ

2. 2015: Dallas defeat Seattle in PKs in leg 2 of the Western Conference Semifinals: I had a hard time separating #2 & #1 on my list. In 21 years of going to FC Dallas games, this was the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at one of our games. It also had insane drama. Coming into the game down 2-1 from the 1st leg, Tesho scored a goal that set Frisco on fire with an 84th minute header. Seattle scored what looked like the series winner in stoppage time only for Dallas to come down the other end and tie it up again with Zimmerman heading home a close range effort. Zimmerman would ultimately put Seattle away with his penalty kick and Jesse Gonzalez was on fire in goal. It might not have been a sellout but I have never felt so buzzed after a home game. The crowd was very soccer savvy and it was a great atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd06CLnECqg

1. 2010: Dallas defeat LA 3-0 in the Western Conference Final in Carson: This one gets top spot for me because of the magnitude & quality of the win. Simply put, this was our club's finest hour. LA were the league's darling team, playing at home, in a single elimination game, with a stellar team. We were the rag-tag team that was tough to beat, led by MLS MVP Ferreira and MLS coach of the year (and butter-leather wearing) Hyndman. Kevin Hartman stood on his head to keep his old team out of our net and our boys finished their chances. Our supporters were in dreamland and we were headed for our first MLS Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ef4ITqk0SQ

VivaIslamico repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for #3 as top match. The atmosphere was absolutely electric.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wasn't there and hate that I wasn't. :(

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You were quite young then.

burning247 repped this.
  5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True. I was 14 and a freshman in High School. Dancing around my living room watching that game on TV.

I was at game 1 though.

6. TheZo

TheZo Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Your #2 is my #1, mainly because we were there. We weren’t STH yet and bought random seats all over the stadium that year. Somehow for that match we ended up with front row seats right in front of the goal for that glorious shootout. The stadium was on fire, we stood most of the match, and it was was just so much fun. My son’s room has a picture of Walker’s free kick and Jesse guarding the box from that match on his wall. They really made an impression on him.

burning247 repped this.
  7. TheZo

TheZo Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I just realized, not last season’s Open Cup? Sadly that is the only match we missed. Disclaimer- We were in Germany watching Bayern play. I still have it saved on our DVR though.

8. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah thats got to be in my top ten (say #3). Also when we beat the Galaxy in LA the game before? as far as amazing comebacks. Houston game too. What a great run that was.
    Probably your #2 is my #1 bc I was there and the crowd was amazing. Also was there (and froze) the 2010 MLS Cup game in Toronto would be #2.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Playoffs, gentlemen. As in MLS Cup Playoffs. If it was any FCD game, then yes of course. I would have also had the Pachuca win earlier this season in there too.

10. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally hate rankings like this, but I'm pretty much in agreement with these.

burning247 repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily ? we don't have very many so they're pretty easy to rank.