Throw ins behind the spot where the ball went out

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefLI, Nov 12, 2019.

1. RefLI

RefLI Member

Nov 4, 2013
    New York
    Can someone post a link to the video or tell me which college game it was where the ball was headed out near the corner flag (last touched by the defense), goalkeeper ran out to try to save it but couldn't get there in time, and the opponent who was 35 yards up field grabbed a new ball from a ball boy, threw it in and they scored before the keeper could get back into goal?

2. SouthernYank

SouthernYank Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I think Army or Navy were one of the teams. Not much, but it's a start.

RefLI repped this.
  3. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It (or a similar video) they show in the college pre-season clinic and tell not to allow!

4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone that has this please link it I’ve been meaning to add it to my archive.

5. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  6. RefLI

RefLI Member

Nov 4, 2013
    New York
    Nice! Thanks very much Sulfur.

7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that’s the one. Thank you.

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Wow, what a good example of a bad call. Thanks for that.

9. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

10. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    @fairplayforlife , would you allow it?

11. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Here's a question...

I've seen plenty of times where the ball goes out at 'x' (let's say right at the midfield stripe), the thrower gathers the ball, does a run up, and actually throws 5 yards (distance made up, just that it's "further" than where the ball went out) deep in the attacking half. Sometimes CR's have them move back, sometimes not.

So what is an "acceptable" distance between where the ball goes out and where the throw in happens? Using the Army/Navy game video above, if the ball went out at midfield and Army throw it in 30 yards deep into their defensive half, would you have them rethrow?

12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Law 18--common sense.

If it is within a reasonable distance and not creating an unfair advantage, it's easy to overlook.

Otherwise, I'll stop them before they throw and direct them to the right spot.

Note that taking the TI from an improper place would be an offense that would give the throw to the other team, not a re-throw by the team that threw from the wrong place.

dadman, Kempa and fairplayforlife repped this.
  13. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Thank you for the answer. I'm not nitpicking the advancement of the throw, just saying there are times when throwing from a place other than where the ball went out is acceptable.

So, some situations...
    1) As the video showed (ball out for a throw at the corner flag and throw happens from the 30 yard area). If caught before the throw, move them up? If caught after the throw, turn over?
    2) Move the ball 1/2 way down the field (so ball out for a throw at midfield and throw happens 30 yards into the throwing teams defensive half). Same result?

14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Most throw-ins from the "wrong" spot (i.e., more than about a yard from where the ball went out) are trifling, and therefore not to be trifled with. This one manifestly was not.

And yes the wrongness can be in either direction, especially near the corner pin, where teams will frequently want to take the throw five or ten yards out instead of right by the pin.

dadman repped this.
  15. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Don’t be greedy I won’t be picky. But you sure as hell aren’t getting a tactical advantage out of it.

RefLI repped this.
  16. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they weren’t getting some advantage from taking it from a different spot they wouldn’t do it.

Most teams that take it farther away from their attacking goal know they other team isn’t setting up to defend back that far. Hence they do it.

17. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    You can't really talk about situations without talking about level of play. The key question is whether there would be an unfair advantage. And that is totally ITOOTR.

There is a happy medium between totally ignoring where the throw is taken (as in the video), and correcting every TI to within a yard.

dadman repped this.
  18. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    I agree with you. I wouldn't expect an unskilled (ie: rec, especially younger) to try to do a quick restart. Around here it's only HS & college that have ball boys that would even make it an option (if they had to chase the ball down in the video, the GK would have gotten back into position).

I agree with that too.

19. NOVA Ref

NOVA Ref New Member

Oct 21, 2019

20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A throw taken from the incorrect spot would result in a throw for the other team.

21. NOVA Ref

NOVA Ref New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    So in that video, is the correct call to give the throw in back to the white team near the corner flag where it went out or where the black team threw it in incorrectly?

22. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Where the ball went out, which is where the restart is supposed to take place.

MJ91 repped this.
  23. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Ok, I misunderstood

24. BrianD

BrianD Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    Does this actually happen though? I can't think of any level where I have seen a throw given to the other team. Of course I don't recall ever seeing disregard for the correct spot this blatant either.

25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    It's exceedingly rare. Typically it is stopped before it happens. I've only called it a couple of times--in both cases when I told a player to move to the proper spot and the player ignored the instruction and threw it in from the improper spot instead.

dadman, MJ91, ArgylleRef and 1 other person repped this.