Thread name up for selling rights - OTT 35 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
  2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    seems like everyone connected with football in Spain gets accused of tax evasion. wtf is going on over there?

3. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When you face a 50%+ tax rate, you place the company holding your image rights offshore to avoid the confiscation and the authorities go after you.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    OK ..... but if so many of them do it and get called on it, presumably it isn't legal.

I think most of them get found guilty (???) ...so why are they still being told to do it by their advisors? especially now given the Spanish economy - they are such obvious targets. weird.

liverbird repped this.
  5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Risk vs reward? I mean are they really going to see jail time for this?

6. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Suspended sentences less than two years...so it's not enforceable in Spain.....do they really want to take on the might of a football club with their big shot lawyers

7. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's legal to own a company in another country through which you funnel imaging/marketing dollars, the European governments just don't like being hosed so they throw a hissy fit and eventually the players' clubs pay some percentage of the alleged abuse and this all goes away. Legalized extortion perpetrated by a government. Love it.

8. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its called income tax...

liverbird, Donfather and burning247 repped this.
  9. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beside Messi, they're all clients of Mendes.

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While I agree that 50% is ridiculous, one could argue that the players knew the rules before they signed up. It's not like "surprise! You pay us a billion in taxes now!"

SamScouse and liverbird repped this.
  11. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    The 89 million pound deal for pogba earnt the Uber-agent(I don't mean the taxi/cab service) Mino Raiola 41 mill....everytime I read that, it just doesn't sit well at all

12. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A "fat f*ck", in the words of the immortal Tony Soprano.

liverbird repped this.
  13. Donfather

Donfather Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    The problem with players and their super agents, they have a vested interest in any transfers and create/manipulate unnatural scenarios where players seem to be coerced into leaving

imasyko repped this.
  14. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just need to get the European agents on a similar plan to agents stateside - take a cut of your clients earnings (wages, endorsements, etc) and have it so clubs can't pay agents directly.

15. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's income legally earned in another country by a legal entity in a foreign country that is being extorted by a country with a territorial taxation system.

16. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Are we surprised that UEFA and the governing bodies wilted in the face of minimal pressure and have allowed both Red Bull owned clubs in the CL?

And Europe wonders why it is a fading light - it can't even follow its own rules and will maneuver and shape shift to keep from offending.

17. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same guy is the agent for Donnerumma.

18. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course... :) I was just being facetious. My guess is a lot of this is these guys being advised by their tax lawyers that this is a tax loophole that is ambiguous. I imagine the conversation goes something like... Lawyer: "How aggressive do you want us to be in order for you to pay the least amount of taxes?" Client: "I don't like giving my money away, so be aggressive" Lawyer: "Okay, we've found this loophole that will save you 20Mill in taxes, but the law is ambiguous and if they call us you may have to go to court and pay a fine, but we estimate that there is only a 1 in 5 chance they do this." Client: "Okay sounds good to me..." Anyone who makes a lot of money, and can afford to hire professionals to prepare their taxes is going to run into situations where there are complicated ways to reduce your tax burden, but by being complicated they probably also are open to varying legal interpretations.

Then governments change, someone says let's prosecute this, and here we are!

While no one likes taxes, I do believe people should pay what they are legally required to, and that ultimately this is for the common good. To me this seems like the only reason this is a story is the ungodly sums these players and managers are making.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It'd take him up from poverty level. Out of the minimum wage bracket.

imasyko repped this.
  20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'd be so happy if my income warrented that much in taxes.

Then I could claim Monaco as my residence. :)

21. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dembelle form BVB getting linked with City. Wonder what that means for Sterling?

22. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Aguero,Jesus,KDB,Sane,Bernardo Silva,David Silva and Sterling.

City going for Dembele is just an OverKill.

23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt.

Sterling certainly seems low man on the totem pole. I wonder how much longer he sticks around and where his next move would be.

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much longer does Silva have?

I wouldn't be that concerned if I were him... he's one of only 2 real wingers in that whole group.

25. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's 31. But they just bought Bernardo for a decent amount, who plays wide. Dembele would cost well north of 50m. Neither of those players would be coming to sit on the bench. They are looking at Sanchez.

Pep is clearly looking to upgrade his options in wide areas. Considering the problems they have elsewhere in that team, its interesting that Pep doesn't feel as though he's sorted at that position with Sane and Sterling.