Thoughts on tonight in the stands?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevolutionFan, Jun 19, 2011.

1. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    You are certainly correct in your assertion.

Hollywood and sports agents know more about stars than any astrophysicist would.

2. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Haha. Good point.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs are the same. They can't pull credentials because the repercussions would be too strong. But they can make sure a certain player isn't available when you'd like to talk to him.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that, or at least is hasn't been my experience at all. When I was covering the Revs, I suppose I was, in their eyes, an annoyance. I would write stuff that was not the "typical" fare, when I'd interview players I would ask very different questions from the norm. Sure, I'd ask about game stuff and what was going on in a particular situation, but I also would talk to the scrubs who had an interesting story. No one else in the media was going to talk to Dahir Mohammed about growing up in Ethiopia, and then coming to NY as a kid.

Niether Frank Dell'Apa nor Gus Martins broke the story about when Richard Goulooze and his wife were walking with the "pram" on High Street and a couple of Notts County fans recognized him and called him "a f---ing sheep-shagger." :D

Seriously, I would sometimes write things that could be viewed as critical of management, and things that they likely thought was not fair, but I never, ever felt any pressure at all, subtle or direct, to stop writing this or that.

Only once I got a call when I criticized the Rev players for not even giving a wave of acknowledgement to the fans who made it to NJ for a road trip. At the final whistle, the Rev players just ran off the field to the locker room (at the opposite end). I was critical of that, and two people from the club called me at work the next day. I didn't agree, and stood by what I wrote, but I never got any flack from them at all. In fact, the Revs media department, first under Brad Feldman and later under Lizz Summers have always been first rate.

I know people sometimes see me as being too critical, but just as I will speak up about something I don't like, it is equally important to recognize when people are doing a good job.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not in media, nor do I have any interest in doing so. I'm just passing on what people have told me.

6. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't care about me. They care about my money. I'm ok with that so long as they don't actively wage war against me and my enjoyment of the match day experience. Otherwise, they don't get my money.

7. Pfoley58

Pfoley58 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Scitaute MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FDA's article is linked on the front page of Boston.com right now. First mainstream article that really seems to get it, and present the situation from the Fans
    FDA in Today's Globe

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, for a second ignore the fact that I'm in the article ... but notice that he actually did a good job of not just making this about the swearing.

9. Pfoley58

Pfoley58 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Scitaute MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried like hell to ignore that part! In all seriousness, due to your history with team and its relationship with fans, and due to the fact that you were on the capo stand when things went down. I don't think you could avoid being the voice of the fans on this issue. I'm just glad to see that there's a mainstream article about what happened that doesn't just focus on the chant.

I'm sure several on here will crucify it for not being critical enough of KSG and the revs

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope your last statement doesn't come true. I think Frank tried to be as fair as possible, but I think if you read that article closely, it sure seems to me that he's on the supporter's side of the issue.

When I spoke with him, I had told him I really shouldn't be the mouth piece, it should be someone on the current board, but he said since I'd been there for that long of a period ...

Oh well ... here's hoping I didn't embarrass myself! :eek:

11. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Far from it. But Matt Reis got the sound bite! :)

12. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One problem with his suggestion is that it sounds like YSA but as I type this I think that's what he was going for. I guess I was a little slow on that one. :eek:

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably the best article so far from any "mainstream" media. Nice to see so many generally intelligend and well-thoguht-out comments.

This is what I wrote:

As others have said, this has very little to do with an off-color chant that has been going on since 1996, and is something practicallt no one would have a problem with eliminating. It has everything to do with a totally inept and clueless front office, starting with COO Brian Bilello and reeking downwards through TeamOps, the Kraft-owned and operated company that the Revs have claimed several times that they have "no control" over.

I am acutally one of the editors of the fanzine mentioned in the article, and had season tickets starting in 1996. I don't go as much as I used to, mostly due to family and work commitments, but this kind of thuggish security behavior has been going on for a long time. I used to be a die-hard fan, but now I have decided to give up on the Revs. I can not be bothered to care about a team whose management is so completely out of touch.

Antother thing that didn't get mentioned was that Kelly Way from Team Ops said at a recent meeting that the ejections were due to one complaint in the first half and a couple more in the second half. She is lying through her teeth. Anyone who was there in the night in question could tell that something was going down. The Rev Girls, who are usually in the Fort, were nowhere to be seen and there was clearly a stepped up security presence. This was clearly premeditated and planned. I know it is the "normal" way COOs tend to do business these days, but Brian Bilello and those who directly and indirectly work for him can't just say whatever is convenient, facts be damned, with no scrutiny. If you want to spin things, be my guest, but don't treat your customers like they aren't smart enough to see right through it. No one is as stupid as you seem to think they are.

You've lost my business, and that is a shame. I was one of the easy customers to keep--it will be a lot harder to get those "family" fans who come to one game a year to make up for the revenue brought in by those you've driven away. Nice job, Brian, I'm sure you'll get a nice severance package when your bosses realize what a great job you've done shrinkign the fanbase! Then again, it will probably be another five years before they even notice.

1 person likes this.
  14. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally believe Frank "GETS IT" . I had thought in the past that most of the so called Soccer writers just weren't interested in ruffling any feathers of the Kraft Org. I applaud FDA for this...it is the best I've ever SEEN!!!

Now I wish Ives or Goff or Wahl would grow a pair or even a single one and write something Nationally..!!

15. redmetrobullstars

Nov 13, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has anyone attended the games since the incident?

what has the attendence been like since then (in the fort)?

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't had a home game since this. Our next home game (outside of a friendly against ManU on July 13th) is against Philly on July 17th.

17. Robonza

Robonza New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was done by the stadium personnel was about swearing but an assault on the supporters. We used to have our own problems with our FO in the days before the RioT was built, we still have some problems. The difference between your FO and ours is that while yours would love for supporters to stay home, ours, over the years, has come to work with us, thank God.

I can't speak for all of our supporters but the general consensus in Salt Lake is Support the Fort. Bob Kraft not only assaulted your supporters but all supporters.

Just an idea, keeping in mind that I don't know how the seating situation will work for the Man U game, but it would be neat to see an entire section just get up and walk out of the stadium. Over your seats leave a large banner that reads something along the line of "The Krafts are a disgrace to Football" or whatever in writing large enough to be read on TV.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ManU game will be very tough for us to do anything at since there won't be many of us at the game. Between it being a weeknight (always a killer for us attendance wise), high priced tickets (not included in our season ticket package), $40 to park, etc ... there just won't be a lot of the regulars at the game. The protest is planned for the July 17th game against Philly.

19. Robonza

Robonza New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, whatever you do, I look forward to seeing it.