Thoughts on tonight in the stands?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevolutionFan, Jun 19, 2011.

1. RevolutionFan

RevolutionFan New Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Warwick, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok ive just got to ask. Was anybody else absolutly furious about events tonight in the fort? I mean really, were adults and we sit in the supporters section and we cant even do our correct chants without someone being offended?

I would like to know the details of the incident, i was there but im sure as hell confused. Especially why that guy after monty left and the Rev Army walked out, that guy that tried leading us in chants was also removed. what was that about? Anybody?

2. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I implore people to, in a civil fashion, send messages through phones, e-mail, social media, etc to the appropriate authorities.

I am trying my best to uncover the contact information for the front office as well as Team Ops. I am also trying to get the press to look into our woes with the aforesaid authorities. We have to spread the word, but we have to be wary of biasing our arguments.

I would suggest:

Do not affiliate yourself with any supporters group or name one, regardless of if you do or do not belong to one.

Do not expose your status as a season ticket holder.

Refrain from attacks and profanity as they will discredit and devalue your argument. There are more constructive ways to prove your points.

Keep your argument focuses and edited so that you do not sound redundant or scatterbrained. We must ensure our voice is heard collectively as one to be taken seriously, and not as something that can be tossed aside.

Use whatever means necessary to gather the appropriate contact information, but do respect boundaries. In other words, do not show up at personnel's house. Do, however, spam the hell out of their inbox with disgruntled grievances.

4 people repped this.
  3. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, what happened?

4. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This... TDIF will be writing about this as well expect it monday or tuesday but possibly a quick teaser tomorrow. What happened tonight was NOT ACCEPTABLE.

and someone please rep ngower for me

5. kazakal28

kazakal28 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Weymouth
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

can someone give us the 12 word version asap?

6. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well, it all started when....

Check back tomorrow for details!

(seriously guys, WTF?)

7. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry to hear that. would like to know as well.

some FOs in this league continue to stink. yours for particular reasons and RBNY's also for other reasons.

8. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot friggen believe I missed last night!!! I had a graduation to go to.

ENOUGH of this FO!! ENOUGH!!!!

9. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team Ops decided to crackdown on swearing in chants, which of course half our chants have swears in them so that causes a problem. Monty was effectively forced off the capo stand, although it was his choice to leave. I personally saw 2 people taken away by TeamOps and Foxborough PD. I walked out with about 30 people immediately and from what I hear after we left there were more arrests of people in the fort, and numerous banning orders issued as well.

It was obviously a planned effort and there was an obvious high ranking member of teamops in front of the fort orchestrating this entire operation.

I am working on it for TDIF as I have said, If anyone would like to tell me their story, what they saw, comments, etc please email me at thedrugisfootball@gmail.com I will not use your name unless given permission to do so.

10. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry to hear there was an incident. FWIW, your absence was conspicuous (and you were missed).

11. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    pathetic. this organization hates fans.

12. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like the team would rather have no atmosphere than an atmosphere with swearing? Strange...

The only swearing I hear from mid-field is the "asshole" in "you suck asshole" when the keeper takes a goal kick. Frankly that one was old years ago but it doesn't bother me. I don't know how the families with young kids feel. I guess, and only at Chicago games, I also hear "Piss" in "Piss on the Fire."

Otherwise, I could not have said whether you were swearing in any other chants.

Well guys, Team Ops at Gillette is now trying to program your behaviour. It will be interesting to see what you do... This seams like one of those situations where we should all revisit exactly how much blind loyalty a sports team, particularly this one, deserves.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bradman

Bradman Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    My thoughts from 131:

"Piss on the Fire", amusing, edgy, appropriate for the venue.

(goal kick Fire)

"You suck", appropriate and what happened for the 1st few kicks

"You suck, ASSHOLE" neither amusing or creative, particularly with "asshole" LOUDER than "you suck"

No, the pigs shouldn't have come in for a pre-planned arrest raid, but the 12,000 other, non-Fort fans want creative and edgy, not cover the kids ears.

I can only imagine the attacks on my post about to come..."Real fans, stay home, soccer moms and dads," etc. 5 points for the most creative insulting/defense of "You suck asshole."

PS - Bullshit chants for bad calls for the home team are always OK! ;)

14. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got nothing. But, unless there has been some background discussion of which we are unaware, swooping in with security seems like an overly aggressive step.

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    This stuff just sucks to have to hear about. I was watching your game last night and noticed the noise level dropped. We dealt with this stuff 5+ years ago in KC when Hunt still owned the team. NFL Ops teams don't translate well to soccer. Once our new owners took over they began to work WITH us (novel concept, I know...) and two things have happened: 1) less confrontation and situations like this and 2) the support in the Cauldron has spread around our stadium.

I realize we have a new, confined stadium that makes chanting much easier to spread but I do believe that our FO encouraging our chants (and yes dealing with a swear word or two here and there) have lead to our entire stadium joining in chants for the first time ever. Unfortunately capo stands and supporters groups make easy targets. I was removed years ago from Arrowhead on a similar night to what you just experienced but recently spoke with one of the men in our FO and we both agree that night was the turning point to where we are today. The fans pushed the edge, the team realized if the fans were pushed too far they would retaliate and support would die and both sides committed to working together. I certainly hope that is where your situation is heading.

And yes, silent protest in a game will send a clear message. I read that doing so at a Philly game might be tough because of the rivalry, but might I suggest that would be the best time to do it?

One other thought is that I really believe this comes down to ownership commitment to winning. If you are committed to winning you are going to encourage your supporters section and try to convert others to be like them. True, constant, loud support lifts a team on the field. It's no secret that Revs attendance has been poor so I'm assuming some guy was hired to fix that issue, incorrectly pinpointed cursing from the Fort as an issue that is driving people away and this happened. I really do suggest that some fans with reason get the Revs FO in contact with other FOs to see how they are handling these issues. A little tolerance by the FO will go a LONG way.

1 person likes this.
  16. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I was at my lil bro's wedding so I missed it, but contrast what appeared to have happened to the job Red Bull Arena security did just eight days earlier.

One is a very professional, consumer conscious outfit that is realistic to soccer supporter activities and what they can and can not stop. The other is a willingly ignorant, at times unprofessional clown cabal that arbitrarily cracks down in ways that turn people away from going to the stadium.

Kraft should buy out Red Bull security and fire Team Ops.

17. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
  18. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was there last night and it was absolutely disgraceful. For a professional sports team to just openly piss off the very few fans it has left it just mind-boggling to me. the way this team is run is just a farce. In a place where alcohol is sold, especially at a sporting event, to not expect some kind of profanity is just insane. The Fort is where the most die-hard loyal fans show their support for the team. We stand, chant, sing, and during all that we swear. IMO we are not doing anything wrong, just showing our passion. I've been to Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, and Red Sox games, there is swearing their too, but no one gets kicked out.

I thought about leaving last night but then decided just to stay until the end. I actually wish I had left. I sat there in silence for the last 25-30 min. watching my team suck. It was painful. Our next home game is ironically the ManU game. It will be our highest attended game and have the most media coverage. I suggest that the entire Fort turn around and face the TV and watch the game in silence. But a day or two before, everyone call their ticket rep and tell them what we will do and why so it sends a clear message to the FO.

For the record I'm a 17 yr. old kid who use to be in that soccer mom/family target market. I grew out of that really quick. My passion and support for this team grows every year to a point where I am now a season tix holder in The Fort. I wasn't there in the 90's to see how the team started and all the stuff that happened there. I can only comment on what i have seen and what I have seen from this organization has been unacceptable. I demand to know why the FO/TeamOps decided to crack down on the profanity last night and not any other night. There was nothing that went on last night that doesn't happen at any other game.

Let's start our own Revolution!

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I actually agree.
    You will not hear one word out of me at the Philly game. I'll be sitting down in my seat. Let's see how they like it if the atmosphere that needs to be at soccer games all of a sudden is just dead. Crickets...
    Very well said... what a contrast we saw in just a week.
    I'm actually tempted to not sing for that one either, but there will be so many posers at that game ... for a fan of the Revs, it will be very annoying ... so I feel like we HAVE to represent our team.

20. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will not be noticed at all in that type of game. Way too many people and with the Fort not being GA it will make it much less effective.

21. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but if the FO and media saw the only Rev fans at the game turned around and not watching it will send a message. But you're right, with all the people there it won't send a clear a message as we will want. I say we definitely do it for the Philly game and keep doing it until the FO/Kraft responds.

22. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is meant as sour humor and not as a real, actionable suggestion...

Is it "suck," "asshole," or both that bothers security? No matter. In situations like this you need to use synonyms. There are plenty of names in REV management that I believe one could dream up for suitable synonym to both.

23. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sure as hell (hope they throw me out the forum for that) seems like it.

There is no passion on the field or in the front office. Obviously, they were afraid of the Fort showing them up.

Why an organization would try to alienate the tiny handful of fans who still give a damn about this club they've run into the ground is beyond me... the Fort being the only thing that distinguishes Gillette from a mausoleum.

It almost a scenario out of the movie Major League. Maybe the Krafts want to move the franchise to a soccer hotbed like Wyoming or something and an attendance drop of 47% in the last 3 years isn't enough for them.

I live about equidistant between Montreal and Boston. Maybe I'll try to find the website of the Impact's supporters group. At least their ownership doesn't openly wage war against their own fans.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is both sad and embarrassing. Whomever made this decision apparently wants this team to fold because they're doing just about everything in their power to drive the passion right out of their most loyal and vocal fans.

25. ntolman

ntolman BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 10, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As shitty as it is, it makes sense why they'd do this. They think their main audience is families with children. Families with children complained. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if in a massive act of denial they are blaming low attendance on chants with swear that somehow promotes a "Family Unfriendly" environment rather than pathetic on field performance.

1 person likes this.