This would be best for CONCACAF.

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by El Yucateco, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    luis aragones?

2. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Ah - he's the one who invented racism. Oh no, that can't be right, he's not English - I say we check back into his family tree and check for English forefathers, they're bound to be the ones who invented slavery as well....

Then we're back on track

3. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does your belief in the origins of slavery, colonialism and racism (however misplaced) make you feel superior (morally or whatever) to us white English types?

4. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, this is interesting. A little research says that Williams (author of capialism & slavery) put forward the idea that as slave populations in America and the Carribean grew, the slave owners (and white population there) begin to increasing view themselves as being distinct from the black slaves, gaining a feeling of racial superiority higher than that that had existed before.

Two problems. There is no claim that racism, even white on black racism (which appears to be the only kind of racism you recognise) was invented by those owners/populations, just heightened.

Secondly, if that increase in racism grew in the colonies, then I hate to break in to you, but the colonies are not England. If racism was invented, as you claim, it was invented in America and the carribean, not England.

5. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Is anyone still having fun in this thread because quite frankly I'm tired of waiting for it to come back on topic...

6. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For 6 or 7 pages now...