This week's Sessler's Soapbox ("Killzone 2 Mailbag") is EPIC

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Foosinho, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/692992/Sesslers-Soapbox-Killzone-Mailbag.html

Adam Sessler, cohost of G4's "X-Play" video game review show, does a little weekly video podcast called "Sessler's Soapbox" where he gets to talk about pretty much whatever he wants. Usually, the stuff is decent, sometimes he goes on a rant... and then there was what happened this week. G4 actually slapped a disclaimer on the front of the video. It's AWESOME. He says some very pointed stuff to various idiotic fanboys. I love it.

2. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA! Best line has to be the response to the kid who claimed there was pain in Adam's voice when he gave Killzone2 a 5 out of 5.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After playing the demo I'd say that 5/5 is generous. The aiming is horrible. It looks really good, but didn't play well.

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're just a 360 snob. ;)

5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, I just like games that are designed well. Something PS3 exclusive games are sorely lacking.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was a joke referencing the clip .... :)

7. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This statement really punctuates your earlier post about NOT being a snob. Because you're right LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet, Uncharted, and Gran Tursimo suffer from poor DESIGN decisions... :rolleyes:

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will readily admit that I only own a 360. It was partly because of price, but more because the library of games available when I bought it in 2007 was better than what was available on the PS3. It is still my opinion that - despite improvements in the game library - the 360 still has a better software library available. It seems to me that there are more high quality, innovative games available on the 360 than the PS3. Obviously, there are some great PS3 games out there - in addition to what you just mentioned, there is the God of War series, and (according to some/many?) Killzone 2. But not as many.

It's not bad hardware, tho. I suspect the price point is suppressing the installed userbase, which is prompting developers to spend more time on 360 titles, but I can't know for sure. When I make the jump to Blu-Ray, it'll probably be on a PS3 so I can also access the PS3 exclusive games.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LittleBigPlanet is a good game, without a doubt and designed well. Metal Gear Solid isn't a game, it's an interactive movie and the atrocious level where Snake is on the back of the motorcycle shooting illustrates how poorly its aiming is. Uncharted is a favorite of mine, and I'm REALLY looking forward to Uncharted 2 but again the aiming was sorely lacking. Something Naughty Dog even acknowledged and said will be fixed.

Gran Turismo I couldn't tell you because I refuse to pay $30-40 for a damn beta.

I never said all PS3 exclusives are bad, but many are lacking. Also for me graphics do not equate into the design aspect of a game.

10. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    To be fair I think the motorcycle part of MGS4 was actually meant to be more movie than game, and besides how accurate can one be firing an automatic weapon from a motorcycle? :p

Maybe the combination of the controller for PS3 being sub-par for shooters and the lack of a killer app shooter has conditioned you. In the case of Killzone, the dev's purposely made the aiming slower to encourage you to take cover instead of run and gun constantly.

The shooting in Uncharted isn't poor, it simply isn't up to par with say... Gear's or Halo. But then you can't scale a castle wall or drop kick a pirate in the aforementioned games either. My point of course being that it isn't a shooter. Its an adventure game. And Metal Gear isn't a shooter. It's a stealth action game.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this nails it on the head.

I don't mind that, I just found that it took a while for me to really aim where I wanted in the demo. Then when you shoot the kick is so hard that it throws you off kilter and you have to re-aim again.

I think the aiming is poor, and the fact that you're shooting a guy about 7 times just to kill him doesn't help. Naughty Dog recognized it and said it's been fixed in Uncharted 2. To me that wast the only fault of the game, and I still thought it was a great game. I'd rate it top 3 of what came out that year, easily. Heck I'd put it in my top 10 of 2008 if I could.

Nope, but you can in another favorite of mine, Assassins Creed.

Metal Gear bored me to death. It was my first MGS game and that was probably the problem. As an interactive movie, it's awesome. Looked AMAZING, but it just took too damn long. Those cut scenes were ridiculous. As a game I wasn't that impressed, but it has to do with my unfamiliarity with the MGS universe and how tedious it became.

12. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Thats more than likely the problem there. MGS has so many different ways to play it. Did you know that you can hold up a guard and make him pee his pants? Shoot his radio so he can't call for back up? Shoot his gun hand so he can't fire? Not kill anyone at all for the entire game? Hide in lockers, trash cans, boxes, barrels... Go GOW style and run and gun the entire time. Use the little radio controlled device to knock enemies out before you advanced? Place an adult magazine on the ground that distracts your enemy? You can shoot from a standing, crouching, prostrate, and from your back position? You just have to experiment with the gameplay and you'll see how diverse and magnificent MGS4 is. You can play it like 4 different games.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, I know about those and tried them. My cousin is a rabid MGS fan and kept telling me, do this and try this, the entire time I played. Some cool features, but the whole, stealth around the whole time just bored me. Sure I could have gone guns blazing, but then you're swarmed with enemies and it just gets boring that way too... no happy medium for me with this game. I wish all games could look like it did though, it looked amazing.