This is why I don't go to Norwegian Death Metal concerts anymore...

Discussion in 'Books' started by Footix, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swedish Death Metal kicks its ass six ways to Sunday, anyway.

Is there any place in the WORLD, other than Scandinavia, where you'd find metalheads articulate enough to use the world 'ambivalent'?

2. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow!!! and the title of the article was a tasty li'l takeoff on a great jam song!!!
    thanks for the link, footix!
    plus, it's a DARN funny article!!! no WAY any of that could be fiction: it's too bizarre!!!

this is just PRICELESS!!!!
    "Euronymous was stabbed to death two years later by the band's bass player Count Grishnackh, allegedly due to the fact that Euronmyous had a more "evil" reputation."
    see you can TELL it's "on the continent," and not in the UK, onaccounta he's a COUNT, and not an EARL!!!

the big cheese: "and because i am so eee-vil, you shall all die the hard way: under the drill."
    "there, now poor floppsie's dead, and never called me 'mother.'"

3. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    I'm just loving the idea of "Blasphemer" saying "The whole thing was an accident," and then offering the fan free tickets.

Shouldn't Blasphemer's response be
    "DIE You Futile Spawn of Satan,
    D-I-I-I-I-I-I-E You Soul-less Wretch,
    D-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-E -E-E-E....
    and here's a free T-Shirt."

4. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I wonder what Tipper Gore would have to say about this?

5. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Get it right people. Mayhem are not death metal, they're Black metal.

Sheeshh....

6. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This could spark a thread of its own. I know there's a difference, but what is it? Is black metal the bands that sing "kill your mother/kill your father/worship satan" songs?

7. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    I was actually asked to interview Count Grishnackh a few years ago by phone from his prison cell by his American PR guy. I was afraid he'd put a spell or something on me so I passed. That's some freaky s***.

8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The most important thing in Black Metal is the ideology, which is nihilistic and anti-christian (but not neceserly satanic).

9. J. Books

J. Books New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Maryland

It is different than death metal.

I'm not an expert myself but the guitarist and drummer in my band are all goofy on the stuff, so I've heard a bit of it.

The Scandanavian Black Metal tends to be infused with Odinist and Wagnerian undertones. Both idealistically and musically. Don't be suprised to hear organs and strings on the albums.

And if you want to get nitty-gritty, Hard core Black metalers are measurably more "evil" than death metal people. More than a few of the founding fathers of the music scene are in jail or have served time for murder, burning down churches, and other unpleasantness.

10. hemariva

hemariva New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Missouri
    I cried. I'm going to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" on my acoustic now.

11. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    black metal is more epic/orchestral/musical
    death metal is more fast/violent

i love em both, but BM is far superior. everyone should listen to children of bodom.

12. Aimer. Northend Diva

Dec 7, 2000
    Hollywood
    any of you know of Mortis?

13. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Yes. Mortiis is that hilarious elf-costumed weirdo with the big nose who plays extremely weird music, not really heavy metal but using certain heavy metal structures. Earlier solo stuff was a bit more ambient. He also used to be the bass player in Emperor.

[​IMG]

14. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You linked me to this site for the music files(rams) and I should curse you for that.Like I don't spend enough time on the damn computer.It was the first time I heard Vendetta's "Go And Live...Stay And Die" in about a decade.I almost cried.

Anyway,back on topic.Here is part of the editorial notation found at the very bottom of this long page....

http://vibrationsofdoom.com/issues/doom32.htm

PEACE

15. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I recommend you to listen to the following albums:
    Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
    Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids
    early Bathory and Celtic Frost
    and of course some Venom

----------------------------------
    Black metal is the game I play
    'cause no one show me the right way
    I am a bloody Antichrist, only believe in bad
    Spit at the church, Evil I get

Blasphemer. . . .
    Rites of death, Return to Hell
    I am Satan's child, attack you with Spell

I turn the cross upside down
    and read Satanic Bible with ************ing grown
    my life begins at midnight twelve
    masturbate to kill myself

Blasphemer. . . .

I love to drink my own blood
    my sin is my life in a war with god
    I talk to the demons night to night
    make love and black masses in a dark shadow light

Blasphemer. . . .

[Sodom - Blasphemer, just because i love to post lyrics]

16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Sorry ! ;)

17. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Isn't Hellhammer basically early Celtic Frost? I know Tom G. Warrior was in Hellhammer, wasn't Martin Ain, too? I don't remember.

I used to play all the above on college radio in the 80s.

Just curious, how do you guys classify Opeth? Sometimes death, sometimes goth, sometimes doom, sometimes dirge, sometimes Ottmar Liebert? Blackwater Park and My Arms Your Hearse are two of the most brilliantly diverse extreme metal albums I've heard.

18. mactheknife

mactheknife New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    my favorite black metal:

emperor (duh)
    mayhem (see above)
    children of bodom
    dimmu borgir
    symphony x
    dark funeral
    dark tranquility (though thats pushing it)

and though they're not death metal i feel obligated to add that at the gates rule.

hard.

19. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Basically yes. But today Thomas Fischer (Warrior's real name) hates what he did with Hellhamer. I have heard that his recently released Celtic Frost biography "Are you morbid" contains a lot of Hellhammer bashing. (reminds me that i still need to order this book. I love band biographies.)

Usually i don't like to classify bands (i only use the terms Speed/Thrash, Death, Black, Doom and Power/Heavy Metal) - today every band seems to name his own genre, which usually sounds quite stupid (Black Pagan Celtic War Metal ?). What was the question again ? Oh yes, Opeth... to be honest i don't know (then i usually call a band progressive, that's never wrong).

20. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Today i bought Vendetta's "Brain Damage" in a used record store (together with Live Scars, Night of the Stormrider and Flotsam & Jetsam's Saturday Night's ... single - i realy spend too much money on records). Great album !

21. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Black/Death Metal is a great source of amusement for me.

22. ross from st paul

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dyvel,
    caught the quote in your sig. is the lyric really "crown?" i always assumed "crowd." ???
    just curious. :)
    black/death metal isn't so much a source of amusement for me, as it is a source of "WTF are you retards THINKING?!?!?!?" so the cheerleader wouldn't go out with you in high school...time to GET OVER IT, dearest!!! (and if that means "count grishnack" is gonna put "a spell" on me, so be it. after a lobotomy, i suppose i might consider it time-well-spent to brush up on my "klingon" every weekend, but i simply haven't suffered that kind of head trauma yet.)
    despite AFL's protests to the contrary, music IS too beautiful, AND too important, to F around with...

23. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The lyric is "Crown". It's a pub in London. It's gets a mention in Irish ballads now and again.

Death/Metal is a source of amusement in the sense that I can't believe it can be taken seriously. No offense or anythiing but it just seems, um, kind of silly.

24. ross from st paul

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info on "crown." god, i love london! they just "name things" better than we do. "hard rock cafe?" please.....