This is ARIS! The Continuing Quest of Freddy Adu.

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by alky13, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    thanks Vamos.

Cuper looks like a guy that could set Adu straight, set fire under his a**. lol

3. VAMOS ARIS

VAMOS ARIS New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Salonica
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    :D
    set fire under his a**

You have to be sure about this;)

4. Bradley's Glare

Jul 31, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Luck Freddy! I hope you break every Aris scoring record there ever was.

For the Record: My previous post never used the word suck just the words not so good and I asked that some of you just entertain that thought. I was slammed for this so I guess there is no room for a contrarian.

5. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    The point is, Adu's greatness wasn't being discussed. There was discussion going on about Aris, Adu's chances at Aris, Cuper, etc. and then random people show up and say "Adu sucks." or "Adu is not so good." Read the thread, contribute to the discussion, or simply ignore it. But drive-by comments about Adu's worth get what they deserve.

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Bradley's Glare:

"Your just kidding yourself about Freddy Adu. You shouldn't think A player who had one good u-20 world cup and a fair to average MLS career might be the real Adu. Just entertain the possibility he is emmm..... not so good.

You'll feel like a grown up."

Care to defend the "you'll feel like a grown up" part?

7. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    LOL. I didn't actually go back and see what he posted. It's kind of funny would come back and try to defend his trolling.

8. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's still bitter : US 3-2 Portugal

9. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I will say, based on his statements it doesn't appear like Freddy has lost any confidence. Which IMO, is a good thing for his play on the field, but a potential issue as far as a relationship with his coach(es). Looks like the last two years haven't "humbled" Freddy like some were hoping.

10. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I think "feeling like a part of the team" and "playing for the team" are the kind of thing people wanted to see, if it was ever necessary, not a loss of confidence.

A lot of firsts at Aris, never heard him say anything about the coaching staff making him feel like part of the team anywhere else, even in the early days at Benfica, Monaco, and Bele.

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From the translation from our greek friends on his press conference, it sounds like old freddy is back.

He finally has a coach taht believes in him, that is taking his time to show him the ropes like it should have been done years ago at benfica, and he is finally at peace.

This is going to get good....

12. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Humility is not necessarily a good trait in a professional soccer player. Much less an offensive-minded, creative player. Brash, unassailable confidence is a key component to success.

13. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.

14. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that he spent so much time praising Cuper I don't see how that can be a concern. Really given all the prima donna players in European soccer I always found it hard to believe that so many people thought Freddy had an attitude that hindered his relationship with his coaches...he's never come close to expressing the kind of attitude that he knew more than they did, which HAS been expressed by many players.

15. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Actually, I completely agree.

But it could certainly lead to confrontations with the coaching staff when they see things a different way. Even now, he's talking about how he could have gone to England or Spain, and that he would like having the role Koke has. Imagine what he was saying when he was sitting on the bench for Monaco or Belen. Some coaches know how to handle these types of personalities and some don't. I am not going to say it's the only reason he didn't get more time, but it shouldn't be overlooked.

And like I said, I agree with you. What these coaches could have seen as a reason NOT to play him is part of what makes him successful on the field, IMO.

16. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I find it a hell of a lot more likely than the alternative rhetoric of "he wasn't impressing well enough in training."

Personality clashes are nothing new, and Freddy being young and brash (and American ;)) and NOT a superstar could easily be enough to keep him off the field. It's a much more optimistic point of view than thinking he simply doesn't have the talent. It's really the only explanation which still leaves open the possibility of Adu becoming a star.

17. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    this is my translations of what Adu said during the conference.

1 - Koke, you better watch your a**, or else i am taking away your paychecks.
    2 - Aris, treat me like a superstar. if not, i will book a first class flight over to Spain/England.

lol. good ole Freddy!

18. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    LOL I think it was more like, I had a chance to play in a better league in the EPL, but given the fan support and the badas coach here, I could probably learn alot more then trying my luck at a relegation battling side that is Hull'.

Also i like how he admitted to the public that his main role is as a supporting striker, but knows that he is at teh will of the coach to do what ever he is told, and that is left midfield which he vows he will learn how to play under cuper. Thats AWESOME!

19. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the Associated Press article on the Press Conference

20. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    If I had to focus on smth in particular, given yr comments in the past, that would be the part that Adu admits that defence plays a great role and that he will improve his defensive skills, next to Cuper.

By learning how to defend, Adu will become a more completed and versatile player. And judging from his statements, he seemed determined to work his ass out and give his 100% for the team. It's only through the team's prosperity that a player can benefit himself.

1 person likes this.
  21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so too, but words never win anything.

He's saying all the right things. Now he needs to work hard.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep.

23. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Really nice press conference from Adu!
    Some people seem to not know many things about Cuper.
    I m gonna post some info about him.

[​IMG]
    From wikipedia:

In 1997 he was hired by RCD Mallorca, and in the very first season he drove the modest club to the final of the Copa del Rey, which he would lose against FC Barcelona. The following season the team reached the final of the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup losing to S.S. Lazio. However, in the same season the team had its revenge against Barcelona, winning the Supercopa de España in 1998. That season RCD Mallorca also recorded their best historical position at the end of the league with a 3rd place, allowing the team to play in the UEFA Champions League. Cúper moved to the Valencia CF in 1999, where he maintained his bad luck in finals, losing the final of the Champions League two consecutive times; in 2000 against Real Madrid, and in 2001 with FC Bayern Munich by penalty kicks.
    In 2001 Cúper was hired by Italian club Inter Milan, where he reached the third and second place of the championship in successive seasons.In Champions League his team lost the semifinals of UEFA Champions League 2002-03 to city rivals A.C. Milan on away goals rule. Continuing his bad luck run in "finals", Inter Milan under his command infamously lost what could have been Inter's first scudetto since 1989 on the 5th of May 2002 to Lazio 4-2 and handed the scudetto over to fierce rivals Juventus on the last day of the Italian league. He was fired from the club after six matches in 2003, when the team was in the 8th position.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k4WukUkHAQ"]YouTube- Milan - Inter 0 -1. L'urlo di S.Siro (2001/02)[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKGrMv3a34"]YouTube- Champions 2000[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEcu3_VIP5Q"]YouTube- CL Finale 2001 Elfmeterschiessen Bayern vs Valencia[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzCU3V8oMQM"]YouTube- 5 Maggio 2002 - Juventus-Udinese Vs Lazio-Inter[/ame]

Hes at the 16th position of the best Coaches in the world!
    Glad to help you more if you need info.

1 person likes this.
  24. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, since his tiny spat with Nowak as a 15-year-old I have neither seen, heard, nor read any evidence that Adu has been anything less than a hard-working, earnest professional. I have no idea where any of the Prima Donna, personality clash, or other comments are coming from. They seem like pure unfounded speculation.

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You find it more likely that he had personality clashes with 4 consecutive managers than...

At Benfica "he wasn't impressing well enough in training" to beat out all the other, more experienced international players. And...

At Monaco and Belenenses "he wasn't impressing well enough in training" for a manager to use him over members of his squad who represented value to the club (either through their on-field contribution or by their potential sale an subsequent ability to bring in new players) and players on whom the manager would be coutning in the future?

Keep in mind, every coach that Freddy has ever played for in Europe has been canned...their job security depends on results...it is hard for me to believe the ALL of them are going to endanger their jobs because they don't like Freddy's 'confidence'.