"this does not mean that we will launch nuclear strikes"

Discussion in 'Elections' started by BenReilly, Sep 9, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/09/08/preemtive.shtml

WTF????? Bringing up nukes in this context is highly unsettling. If this was a not so subtle message to the West that Russia is a force to be reckoned with, he should have come up with something more reasonable.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Cowboy's in Russia!!! Hmmmm, wonder if President Bush is going to try and one up him?

3. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    It's just part of the grand plan, allowing Bush and allies to take the gloves off now too.

Remember, it is all in our interest to fight terrorism and fight it hard.

4. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Take a look at this guy:
    [​IMG]
    He is Speznaz, the Russian equivalent of the Green Berets. Look at his outfit and equipment. Look at the little girl he is holding.

My step-father always told me, "Son work smart, not hard." This soldier, bless his heart doesn't have the tools to do anything but do, hard, hard work, even though is is the best and brightest his country has to offer.

Russians have never known how to do anything but the iron fist. Subtelty, at least in the realm of force of arms and diplomacy, is an unknown art to them. Sadly, they have been taking their lead from us, and then doing what comes naturally. They are now reaping the whirlwind. Poor Russia does not nave two oceans and billions of dollars of so-so technology to hide behind. The terrorists are in their back yard.

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ben, would you rather they not mention it and let everyone with 2 braincells make the connection and begin to speculate about possible use??

What they did was pretty much say they will do everything in their power to stop terrorism bar a nuclear war. A good, strong message.

If they didnt mention nukes, people would get more nervous, and begin to draw their own conclusions..

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    That's ridiculous. No rational person would think about nukes in this context, until the Russians brought the subject up.

7. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm all for fighting terrorism vigorously so long as we are honest and reasonable about it.

8. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    okay, lets say you are correct (which I dont think you are.) The Russians brought it up. They said they wont use them. what's the problem?

9. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

If you got into a fight with someone and he said, "I'm going to kick your ass, but I won't rape and kill your wife" I doubt you would find that comforting. Why the hell bring up nukes?

10. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    U.S. neocons have talked about using "tactical" nuclear weapons.

11. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    The word is "sensitive".

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    this is what we're headed for: bush goes off the ranch and everyone else figures "hey, we can too... what are they gonna say?" - we have been ushered by bushco. into the era of the chest thump

13. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Wait. These chest thumpers. Aren't they the same ones that are repulsed by Bush's cowboy behavior?

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Good for Putin.

15. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not Putin. He was riding in a pickup with Bush on the ranch when our President looked into his soul and saw freedom or god or dead terrorists or whatever it was that he saw.

16. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Who says all people who heard it are rational? Russia has nukes, has the ability to deliver them accurately, makes sense to point out they won't be used. Ya rational people would assume that, non-rational people, the more specific the better.

17. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    It seems obvious to me that bringing it up was a signal that extreme measures are being contemplated.

18. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Bully for them. If we're lucky, the fickle finger of fate will point towards Iran.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

some people just never learn....

20. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    And some people learn the wrong lessons.