Third goal vs France called offside?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by uncchamps2012, Jun 28, 2019.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    it looked like a good goal to me. What do others think? I thought it would at least get a serious review.

we thought we were up 3-0 = ass whoopin
    Then France score to make it 2-1 shortly after = nail bitter.
    Big swing in the game .

England has been more impressive than France in this tournament before the USA loss.
    I don’t think the France game was the “final”so many said it was.
    Lucy bronze , former Tar Heel, is a phenomenal player.

Semblance17 and edcrocker repped this.
  2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    This looks pretty even. Or are they expecting calls within inches or centimeters. That seems like an NFL rules lawyering thing.

Semblance17, edcrocker and jackiesdad repped this.
  3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It got a serious review. It was off. Close, certainly, but still off.

Yes, with VAR, it is now an objective decision, and even "just barely" offside is still offside. It's not the first close call this WWC. Go talk to Cameroon about it.

taosjohn, FanOfFutbol and blissett repped this.
  4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, it happened to France and Cameroon also, earlier in the torunament. It sucks, but it's football at the times of VAR.

FanOfFutbol repped this.
  5. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    It's not even and yes, the calls have to be made to the highest level of precision that is available to the VAR technology. If it was even, the blue and red lines would be on top of each other. However they're not, the red line marking where Dunn's front foot is closer to the opponent's goal than the blue line marking the defender's position. Only marginally, but it is closer and has to be called.

It's just like the calls made in tennis. I saw one the other day where the ball was only 3mm out. The player who challenged, thinking it was in, still lost the point.

edcrocker repped this.
  6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was off, clearly off on review. However the way VAR has evolved makes me think that we would be better off if we abandoned it except for the "Goal line technology" part and that is really separate from VAR.

But VAR is in and I highly doubt that it will be dropped in the future but it "might" get refined and for me it is very very clear that it badly needs refinement. For me the interference and delay VAR produces is not offset by the "getting it right" factor. Perfection in calls does not make soccer better or more fun it just makes it slower.

TrueCrew, GroveWanderer and blissett repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Part of the problem is the line created shortly after the play was not the same as the line shown later.

8. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Helpful comments. Essentially, at this level of precision, it is impossible to be even

9. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was funny how "goal line technology" was a thing during the last World Cups and then it kinda just disappeared and hasn't been referenced again since.... I wonder what happened to it. Too much money to sustain? VAR is the newer and improved version of it?

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what two lines you're talking about, but the above picture is the one from the VAR. An earlier picture might be the one that the TV production crew does?

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal line technology is still active and being used in this WWC. I can't remember which games its been in, but I've definitely seen it being used.

GroveWanderer repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually it has been used regularly alongside of VAR. In this WWC there really has not been many "close" calls that needed it. In fact I think there has been only one case, at least I only remember only one, where there was any chance that a ball that was/was not clearly in the goal needed the goal line tech to be sure and that was shown to not be a goal. I think that was even in France's first match. I know it was quite early in the tournament.

VAR is simply too invasive to be effective the way it is currently being used but goal line technology is nearly invisible and nearly 100% reliable and therefore only seen when it is needed which is VERY rare, thankfully.

GroveWanderer, blissett and McSkillz repped this.
  13. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I'm not sure that the frozen frame is the correct one - matching to when the ball is kicked is hard. I don't think VAR should have overturned the call but I think the call was wrong. And, of course, had the goal stood, the match was over.

14. GroveWanderer

GroveWanderer Member

Nov 18, 2016
    It may be hard but it's one of the things that the VAR team have been extensively trained to do, for which special technology has been developed (including the so-called '3D' technology) and for which the IFAB has made specific provision in the Laws of the Game. The laws now contain the stipulation that when it comes to deciding on offside position, "The first point of contact of the ‘play’ or ‘touch’ of the ball should be used."

Once the VAR has chosen the frame that shows the first point of contact and inserted the lines that mark the relative positions of the defender and attacker, the decision is clear and pretty much incontrovertible.

lil_one repped this.
  15. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that it was off.

But I HATE how FIFA applies this rule. Too precise. Off by an eyelash is functionally even to me. Functionally even should be a good goal.

Problem is, how do you apply functionally even? A foot? Six inches? Daylight between? It becomes subjective.

This way, it is at least objective.

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Got to say I think the VAR is improving the game quite a bit; I'm not finding it all that obtrusive, and I think it will get less obtrusive yet as people get better at it.

It may be that the offside rule would be better for a slight tweak, though I can't see how to do it without confusing the machines... But if that and the Cameroon goal are off sides-- and I agree, they were-- it is going to be even harder to score without PKs...

edcrocker repped this.
  17. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I am convinced by this discussion that she was offside. Even as it negated both a former unc player goal and an assist in the same instant, anything that makes calls more accurate is good. I also do not find VAR to be very bothersome and a LOT less bothersome than seeing my team disadvantaged by a truly bad call.
    Here’s one years back, also involving crystal Dunn, that made me kinda pissed off for about a week.

Start at 1:28 for slow mo of the play and the horrific call. Watch the full 2:17 for a reminder of what an offensive powerhouse Dunn can be ( and not just at unc but also at 2015 NWSL mvp)