Think BIG: Korea in UEFA

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Koreano, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hypothetically, what if Korea moved to the UEFA confederation?

IMAGINE - Think out of the box.

Korea is far away from Europe - solution let's lease a neutral ground somewhere lets say in Dubai (middleeast) since proximity in Europe is attainable. Barring other costs and concerns,(politically, economically) Dubai would be perfect with the largest number of Korean contingent in the mid-east with Korean Conglomerates already present and contributing to the local economy. Infra wise, very attractive, Arabs and the Koreans would have to think of a way that would benefit both parties. (Easier said than done YES)

Next question: logistics - Solution: Let's limit the away fans by setting a clear quota. Korea would still be the home team, therefore allowing the benefits of the home team just as it would in Seoul.

The biggest question of all: What would you choose for the development and progress of Korean Football. I would say as a true fan of Korean football, Korea would hugely benefit from playing in europe than in the AFC EVEN though it means you won't qualify to the worldcup, but just the fact that you would improve by playing the likes of England, Germany and Spain for qualifications. The sweetest part is, the day IF Korea would qualify rightfully in these circumstances would be even sweeter, IF NOT a GREAT achievement.

I for one thing, would definitely welcome this idea (although it isn't realistic, since we're not living in a perfect world) even though if it means Korea won't qualify for the next 20 years or whatever. Just THINK, Koreans are not Europeans just like Australians are NOT Asian, so why cringe? Football is supposed to be a universal sport, breaking down barriers of color, age and race. THAT IS FIFA's PHILOSOPHY, ENJOY THE BEAUTIFUL GAME. Israel in AFC before? Where are they now? What? Korea's gonna share the same fate as Israel not qualifying to the world cup in 9739437 years? FEAR NOT, Korea has the warrior genes, it's in our blood to make the impossible POSSIBLE.

Masturbate on this thought.

2. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Korea in CONMEBOL :)

3. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    UEFA is closer ;)

4. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Think about it SERIOUSLY, it's a win-win really. The arabs would LOVE to see us leave, one more chance to qualify ;)

5. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Oh, I always thought that South America was closer.
    If we want to join UEFA then we need to be a quality side ourself. Why would they want a country that is in the far east to be their confederation? The only reason why Australia was able to join AFC was because they were able to challenge the Asian powerhouse. If we want to join UEFA, we need to be way ahead of Japan and Australia and also able to challenge the like of Spain, Netherlands, and Germany, etc.

Just my 2 cents

6. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Good point Mehstar!

That's why we shouldn't under-estimate our own greed. It can be done.

7. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Yes, first we need to make Japan and Australia our minnows the same way Australia made New Zealand their minnow and how New Zealand made Italy their minnow...

8. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Not exactly competitive fixtures, can be served as an indication? Maybe, maybe not, but it can be used to appeal ourselves. REMEMBER, this was done while we were still playing headless chicken style. So no.. we're not exactly pushovers even in European standards.

9. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Suspending reality for a second, I believe we would be pretty competitive in UEFA.

I don't know if we qualify for every WC unless we can constantly improve which is easier said than done. There are a lot of countries that didn't go that are quite good teams, i.e. Russia, Croatia, Israel, Ireland, etc...

Anyway if we can qualify for the R16 in the WC we can be middling, at least, in UEFA.

10. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Yep, most competitive team of all :)

11. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i dont want this to happen. mostly because i dont think there would be the benefit that everyone wants which is the ability to get the EU permit meaning our players could play in euro leagues. unless we get that then no thanks.

12. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Would our league also improve if we are in their confederation? Some of our team would be able to participate in Europa league and champions league.

13. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So you're going to have the entire K-League based in Dubai for the entire season?

Sorry to rain down on this house of cards, but this is the pipe dream of all pipe dreams.

14. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I can't believe people have wasted any brain cells on this.

15. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    its not about wanting it to happen or not happen fcukin seriously, korea in uefa..........will never ever happen lolll....bring russia, turkey, israel to afc that would be much much more realistic but it will never happen also

16. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    어제란 다만 오늘의 추억이며, 내일이란 오늘의 꿈입니다.

글구, 왜 구라파 쉐끼들이 더러운 아시아로 넘어오겠어요? 여긴 더러울뿐 아니라.. ㅅㅂ넘들이 침대서 축구를 하잖습니까... 그리고, 구라파 쉐끼들이 더운동네서 쌩고생하겠습니까? 그건 자살행위지... 차라리 우리 혼자서 뜹시다.. 이스라엘, 러시아 등등 민폐끼치지 말고.. 걍 조용히.. 아주 조용히 도망갑시다...

17. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Israel was only allowed into UEFA because the arab countries in the AFC refused to play them .. there's no similar case for korea to join any other region.

More realistic would be a split of the AFC along west and east lines.

18. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    which again brings me to say it's a win-win. We need to somehow position ourselves like the jews.

Arabs don't want us to be there because Korea is consistently outperforming other asian nations in terms of WC qualifications. Korea leaving AFC will lead them to think they have hope. I'm sure they would love us to leave solely because of this reason. They would gladly do anything to make it happen, especially now with Bin hamam running things like a thug, would welcome the idea of Korea hosting neutral ground in west asia, heck I would say he would lease one of the World class stadium with AC in Doha to us!

We need to think big folks, not just think impossible is impossible.

I admire what the Japanese FA is doing. They make sure they get international exposure for their team by participating in the South American tourney.

19. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    This is all a big joke. This is never going to happen.

20. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    If you mean temporarily join competitions then definitely we should, I thought you meant permanently. UEFA isnt'the right one though .. getting an invite into the latin american competitions would be a good idea since we're getting increased exposure through trade and oddly enough the korean wave.

If we can keep up the good relations then it's possible we might get an invite to the Copa America, which would be great since all the CONMEBOL teams are pretty strong.

21. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I understand some of your views, I don't blame you.

But I'd like to ask you Koreans one question.

Wasn't it impossible for Korea 50 years ago to be the second poorest nation on earth to become the 11th richest country on earth today?

If you'd ask anyone the answer would have been impossible.

22. Koreano

Koreano Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Club:
    Seongnam Ilhwa
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Temporarily would be a HUGE start. It would be amazing. Everything needs baby steps.. I really wonder what Dr. Chung while 20 years as FIFA VP has contributed to Korean Football in terms of administration that would help Korean football in direct terms. He could have easily leveraged his position in FIFA and with his contacts (if he had any) in the football world, we could have at least done the same what Japan is doing.

23. Lionel Richie

Lionel Richie Moderator
    Staff Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    UAE is still too far. How about claiming an abandoned Norwegian oil rig in the North Sea as part of Korea? It would be in the same time zone with a lot of of the European countries. :D
    Actually, you have a good idea. It would be a valuable experience for the Korean team even if they don't make it to the top. Overseas Iranians were actually wanting Iran to join UEFA some years ago because of the refereeing in AFC.

South America is on the opposite hemisphere and on the other side of Earth so it's totally on the opposite side. You'll notice the difference if you look at a globe instead of a flat map. And the Pacific Ocean is huge, but many maps outside of Asia show it in halves on both sides of those maps so it looks smaller. Many East Asian maps show the Pacific Ocean at the center, which shows how big that ocean is.

24. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    I wouldn't disagree that Chung could've done more for korea and the AFC (rather than just himself), but the real issue is that korea as a whole doesn't have visibility .. it's mostly due to the chaebol hiding which country they're from, which leads to all sorts of rubbish like many french thinking that LG is a japanese brand.

Japan was able to play the 99 copa america because they're well known, not because they were any good at football or had any meaningful influence in FIFA. The reason why the italians, spanish, and even portuguese (not to mention europeans in general) actually believed they were 'cheated' in 2002 is because we don't have global visibility to the populations at large ..

25. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    We played in the 2000 CONCACAF Gold cup. I don't know what kind of team we sent but we didn't do too well. They invited a few countries to make up the numbers - 4 groups of 3 teams, Peru & Columbia were also invited.

Btw, Japan and Mexico are invited to play in the '11 Copa America.
    I'd love to see us go up against the South American squads.