"They're talkin' 'bout a Rafalution, it sounds like a whisper." The Arsenal v Newcastle Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mustafi simply did nothing there. His man pounced on Nacho's header while Mustafi just stood there watching.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd been noticing that Chambers was no longer in the back line. Looks like Wenger went to a back 3? Thus Monreal holding the fort in the middle? And now we're truly 1-2 down. My little April Fools joke earlier looks either jinxy or slightly prescient.

3. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s like his entire brain shut off for 10 sec.

People are shutting on Nacho for the only bit Mustafi did nothing.

4. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a way to spoil mine and Alice's 29th Anniversary, with that bad giveaway by Nacho that lead to the goal, also, it seems like (as Jon Champion mentioned somewhat) if you have a scoreless/winless drought, just play Arsenal, you'll break that streak, I heard Jon say that Newcastle had not beaten us at home in 13 games, and it looks like that is going to come to an end, unless we can (somehow) get an equalizer. COYF'n'G!!! Alice and I are counting of you guys to get our anniversary off to a great start.

5. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We never defended this badly when we had Squillaci, Senderos and Almunia in the team.

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 87' and we're still content to play the ball sideways???

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well its been fun, signing off the match threads with;

Wenger out. Out wenger. SO much out. 2005 last time we lost to these scrubs.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Arsene died tomorrow I'm sad to say my first thought would be "Good." He's killing the club to the point where I barely watch anymore and and frankly I'm surprised they're even included as part of any Big 6 discussion.

10. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, AW put out a lineup destined to lose and look what happened.

No midfield and no intelligence on the back line. Mustafi can’t be the organizer. He’s an idiot.

El Neny pushed out of position wide. With 3 other players rotated in he decides to give Willock his first appearance?

Total disaster of a lineup then the players matched that level of suck.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always nice hearing Dicko lay into our manager and our team. He's been frustrated for so so long with our defensive inadequacies.

BIGHMW repped this.
  12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bit harsh lol

danielh repped this.
  13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Five straight away losses - I wasn't even alive last time that happened. No points away from home in 2018...and yet he persisted.

maskito repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, chill out folks.

He rotated big-time, just as most fans would've wanted him to, being that our season rests in Europe now.

You'd like to see Wenger dead? Hello????

fari repped this.
  15. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He didn't say he WANTED Wenger to die.

16. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wenger has to go at the end of this season. Unlikely, but has to. We aren't some middle tier club that either does Europe or top 4. We should be doing both. Its not like the money isn't there. Its not like we let our fans into the stadium for free.

People paid money and traveled to watch that shit show today. If I was going to Arsenal Away matches I would be wanting a refund.

fari and cantona94 repped this.
  17. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Our last 3 away games are Manutd, Leicester, and Huddersfield on the last day. We could very well end the season without any away points in 2018.

18. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....and even though he is a Gunner through and through, to the tune of four top flight titles (2 First Division championships under George Graham in 1988-89 and 1990-91 and 2 Premiership titles under Arsene Wenger in 1997-98 and 2001-02), I like, respect and appreciate Lee Dixon's honesty, as he is not afraid to rip a new one into his club he had literally laid down the foundation for in that Arsenal back line for years to come.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Want? No, but my affinity for the man is now so drained and so tied up in how he's taken this club to new depths that I've lost all respect for his legacy and the good things he once provided. That's how badly I feel about all this, that rather than feel emotion for the guy I know my instinct would be "Finally, Arsenal can move on." It's like having a family member with a rotten spouse and you're just desperate to see them move on. I can't stand it. I can't root for the guy, I can't feel happy for him anymore, and I can't even feel thankful for the past. This team is now such a shadow of what it could be and is supposed to be that I'm just out of sympathy.

Yes, they played a lot of kids today and are now obviously going all in on the Europa League. a) The fact we have to say that is indicative of how bad things have become, and b) the fact that the team with arguably 5+ First XI starters could look so bereft of work rate and strategy against Newcastle is insulting. Newcastle didn't win by virtue of their superior talent, they won because Arsenal just sucked it up.

I'm not saying anything you folks don't already know. It's the same mantra as the past several years. I'm just pissed and venting since I bothered to watch today and actually came in with hope. Shame on me.

If Arsene comes back next season I well and truly don't think I'll be able to watch.

10:45 in the morning and I already need a drink.

cantona94 repped this.
  20. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it is the terrible choice of the rotation.

We were so unbalanced it wasn't funny.

21. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that we rotated and I get that we are apparently all in on the Europa championship. It’s amazing how we have SO little depth following our first xi and that our youngsters look bereft of much quality and as is becoming very clear, will not develop under Wenger. Yet, Wenger, will remain to continue this long slide into mediocrity. Honestly, it shouldn’t be the big 6 anymore as we are barely clinging to that notion.

I completely understand GunnerJacket’s feelings. For me, the man has completely destroyed any legacy he may have had. In 30 years, if you ask me about Arsene Wenger, my first reaction and memories will not be positive. They will most likely be about his stubbornness to cling to power and his driving of this club from among the top 2 in the league to barely clinging to European footholds.

It was a huge mistake to keep him this year and it will be an even bigger mistake to keep him next year, yet, that is exactly what will happen sadly.

22. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    The problem is the longer we keep Wenger, the longer it takes to bring in someone new, then it takes a while to clean out the trash, then he needs to bring in his own team and players and acclimatize everyone to what he wants. Assuming we can get someone in for next season, which I doubt we will, its still years away from getting out of this quagmire.

The only positives, are unlike Liverpool when they fell apart years ago, we have 2 really good strikers and Ozil. So while we rebuild we are still very potent.

fari and cantona94 repped this.
  23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Everyone was clamoring for rotation and Wenger complied, what did you expect? Newcastle is actually in pretty good form right now, this was always going to be a potential speed bump.

fari and NorthBank repped this.
  24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The rotation options are limited, how would you have provided rotation with balance.

At least Newcastle are in the top half of the table, instead of dead last.

25. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy what I saw this morning was the definition of shit, a very bad performance by the boys out there, we just don't have it, at least in the EPL, but, put them in European competition and we look almost unbeatable, apparently we are ALL-IN for winning the Europa League if we have ANY AND ALL chances to be in any UEFA-sanctioned action next season, period.

BTW, Alice and I are celebrating our 29th anniversary together as I am writing this.

.....And to get back to the subject matter at hand, I am used to mediocrity, I have been an L.A. Kings NHL hockey fan since 1975 (I was 9 years old when I became a fan), and during my days as a Kings season ticket holder from 1977-87 I saw an awful lot of losing, we (my mom, dad and I) moved here to Port Townsend , WA in 1987, and brought all of my Kings gear with me from L.A., and remained true to my Kings until we finally won our first Stanley Cup in 2012 and again in 2014.

I am still a Kings fan to this very day and don a different jersey for every Stanley Cup Playoff game and so far nobody here in Port Townsend has said anything about it, after all they don't have a clue, and the same goes for my donning my Arsenal kits around town, it's amazing how socially naive people in isolated small towns really are.

I am used to losing, even though I became a Gooner and joined The Gunner Nation in 2013, thanks to that greater-then-great Invincible squad we had that donned the Red & White sponsored by O2 in both 2002-03 and 2003-04, so that gives me a glimmer of hope, as do the three FA Cups and three Comminity Shields we won so I hope we can get back to winning soon.

So COYF'n'G!!!...... .....and GO KINGS GO!!! Beat Vegas TONIGHT!!! Game 3 will be on NBCSN at 10:00 pm ET/7:00 pm PT from Staples Center!!!