Eric Lichaj at Fatih Karagümrük SK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In the Championship, the games that matter are the league ones, since the big money is in getting promoted. Playing Cup games is what they use their B-team for. So, at this point, it's safe to say that Eric has lost his starter job.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    well that sucks. is it simply his replacement is better or the coach isn't warm to Lichaj or simply Lichaj isn't good enough?

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hard to say without watching, and the Championship's impossible to watch, since most games are not broadcast at all (unless you call some Periscope from the Nth row a broadcast).

What I gather from the fan forums is that the new coach didn't like Eric from the get go. I guess it's the luck of Lichaj.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's effectively stuck there until the winter transfer window, unfortunately. At which point, he'll either have won over the new manager, or will leave, likely to another Championship club otherwise MLS for the preseason.

Regardless, this is bad timing to make a stronger case for qualifying and the WC. Gotta believe he's falling behind alternatives like Morrow between disadvantages in fitness and lack of catastrophic errors at the Gold Cup.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Poor guy. he's good enough to be a benchwarmer and to challenge the rest of our fullbacks during training.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does BeIN not carry the Championship anymore?

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Only some games. For full coverage of a team you have to subscribe to their iFollow.

8. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  10. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries. just trying to lend a hand. Surprised ESPN won't let you stream the Champ up in America's hat.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    An interesting difference between Canada and the USA with respect to net content is that when you're in Canada, the browser tells you "this page/video/site is not available for your geographic location."

In the USA, if you try to hit a blocked site, it just times out.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker repped this.
  13. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    He's gotta be a prime candidate to come back to MLS at this point. I'm sure a team has put in that ransom claim thingy on him

wixson7 repped this.
  14. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. I've seen plenty of "this video is not available in your country" blocked content. Not so much the whole webpage, but plenty of times I've seen videos blocked.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yeah that's more related to DRM (digital rights management) content, and it's a bit different from pages/information actually not made available due to blocking (in some cases you may get the FBI warning page: The Page You're Trying To Access Belongs to a Domain Seized by the FBI etc., but now that's rare and from the USA most banned sites just time out).

Lichaj's had such a long journey in Europe, When he went with the Aston Villa academy, it was surprisingly quiet around here about it. I don't think many expected him to become a first team player for some big club some day. They were right.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I doubt he comes to MLS. Maybe another Championship club

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

If you say money, don't be so sure. TAM has completely changed the budget math.

18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj has an English wife and a couple kids. Maybe he takes an MLS offer, but I could see him not wanting to leave England.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof, 3-0 Chelsea at the half.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It ended 5-1. Michy Batshuayi, who's normally a rotation player, scored a hat-trick.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Poor Lichaj. I really wanted to see him on the roster for Russia. A decent player and deserved far more chances in the past.

Winoman repped this.
  23. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back on the bench against Tim ream and Fulham

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The wife also has a business in the area, a boutique IIRC, and there may be other irons in the fire as well. If true, and they're going well, she (and possibly they) would have another reason not to leave.

And whether the coach like him or not may not be relevant for very long They're only 6 points off the playoff spots, but they've lost four of the last five games and they're 16th out of 24 teams, with the joint fourth highest number of goals conceded, and losing most of their home games. More worryingly they're lost all the games against the teams that are leading the promotion charge (Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves, Villa).

Of course there's only 10 games gone, and a team that gets 12-13 points out of five games can gain as much as 10 places in that period. Then again, a quarter of the season has gone with them not looking anything like promotion contenders, and if they get 2-3 points from the next five games, as they've done with the last five, they're in the relegation places.

Warburton wasn't exactly hailed as the messiah when he was hired, so the pressure will be mounting