Eric Lichaj at Fatih Karagümrük SK

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Friedel'sAccent, Jun 19, 2013.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Limited is right. He started every knockout game at the 2011 Gold Cup under Bradley, then didn't make another US appearance until the Euro friendlies against Scotland and Austria in Nov. 13, where he played a combined 27 minutes. His next appearance came in the Puerto Rico friendly in May of this year, where he played 27 minutes. 54 minutes total under Klinsmann, so I think it's a pretty rash judgment to make any statements about his level of play with the US over the past 5 years.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    has Klinsmann ever been asked why he doesn't consider Lichaj? has Lichaj been asked about why he thinks he has so few caps now?

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've asked Lichaj. I've even wrote about his response

kruck repped this.
  4. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, so, what'd he say?

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    He played the polish card....joking. I have no idea.

But it does seem odd that there are not many solid mid stage vets on the team. That is usually the best age for winning, 27-29, with some youth and old timers peppering things.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That's a weird definition of legend.

7. TheRightPants

TheRightPants Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, Etc.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the right things:

"I don't think I've been overlooked,” Lichaj said. “They've watched a few games and nothing has come of it. Maybe they didn't like what've they've seen or I didn't fit into the style that they wanted to play. I would love to play for them again and I've always enjoyed it. I can't put too much focus on it because if I was really desperate for that, it might take away from what I am doing here at Nottingham.

“I am doing well and if I keep improving hopefully I get recalled to see if the U.S. manager wants me. At the moment he doesn't so I can't complain, I just have to keep improving to see if I can get back in there.”

More in Brian's article, linked in a @GiallorossiYank post earlier in this thread: http://americansoccernow.com/articles/eric-lichaj-speaks-to-asn-about-usmnt-much-more

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If those are the right things, I like it when guys say all the wrong things.

He was trying to be diplomatic and not ruffle any feathers, because we've seen what's happened to many players who do. He clearly thinks he's good enough, if many of us do. That's the way people think.

For players who haven't already been integrated, I don't think there's a level they can realistically attain in certain leagues/countries. It's exponentially more about the league/country players compete in, and the coach's original decision, as opposed to their extended form. Lichaj could become clearly the best fullback in the Championship, and I don't think that would change anything.

Best hope is a token appearance when several regulars aren't available, that forcing a change of plans, and then proving in front of everybody what's what. I suppose he also could get promoted with Forest, but they've never come close to that with him, it's largely out of his control, and he wasn't even getting call-ups when he was with Villa. That mind is pretty much made up.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Went 90 in a 2-0 loss to Reading

Tom Collingsworth and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bungadiri and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    that moustache is so creepy

13. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He always does something weird for no shave November.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    surely his wife can prevent this in the future

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    His wife seems really down to earth. A plus when the alternative is in the mags 24/7

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna see Lichaj called in. He deserves it

KicksNgiggles, ChuckMe92 and Winoman repped this.
  21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    with so few NT opportunities I do wonder what might have been if Poland would have given him a call up some years ago

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He'd have played in the Poland/Ukraine European Cup and probably have got offers out of that. Whether he'd have moved is another story. Over on the Danny Williams thread people were arguing that he'd sold himself short by moving to England's D2 and that he "should have held out for that life-altering offer".

Moving from a squad rotator for a mid-table BL1 side to a stater for a Chamionship hpromotion hopeful-but-not-probability was that life-altering offer, which is why he took it over clubs in Germany that are much bigger than Reading. Championship wages are very high by mainland Europe's standards - average losses of 13 million Sterling a year will do that.

He'd have stayed at Forest unless a better offer from England came in, ands I'm not sure one would have come. From what I've seen of him, he's a solid rather than outstanding full-back at that level. Apart from being able to play on both flanks he's not that mich better than what you'd find on an upper-third team in that division. Clubs won't spend transfer fees on that kind of player unless they have an injury crisis. They wait until the contract is up and make a Bosman offer.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and edcrocker repped this.
  25. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    809184806655311872 is not a valid tweet id