The Love Song of T. Jordan Pefok: Siebatcheu at Borussia Mönchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 8, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I never said he would. I simply said he's on a mid-table French club. Bigger than his previous club. And he's a starter. His confidence is peaking. And even if he scores 20 goals this season; he probably barely gets a look at from the manager. But that won't stop him from chasing the dream.

Our best chance was if he was still scoring decent numbers at a club in Ligue 2.

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I'd guess above 50%.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Choosing the USA as the fallback option has not exactly given us great NT players recently, except for Jones.

4. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but if he was still playing in Ligue 2, the MLS fans in the US forum would get very upset if he got called up over some MLS scrub

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Perhaps but at least an upgrade to our minor league options.

SCSAutism and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty wild that, despite all the incredible world-class talent France has in their current senior attacking pool, and the future world-class talent in their youth attacking pools, just one of them, 31-year-old Giroud, is 6'3" or taller. (There's also Sebastien Haller, clearly ahead of Siebatcheu as of now, though he doesn't appear to be in their senior plans as of yet.) It's Siebatcheu's only remotely realistic chance with France, and the odds are still against him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #957 Ger90, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Anthony Modeste had 68 goals and 13 assists in 135 games spanning 4 seasons while playing in 1BL and yet was never called up to the French senior NT, seems to have barely ever been considered.

Although Aubameyang an ex French U21 striker could have likely made it with France, he went with Gabon instead. Was even eligible for the Spanish NT as his mom is Spanish, another team he likely could have made it. But he choose Gabon because his father was an ex Gabon National player.

For Jordan he still has that Cameroon option as he's like Auba a triple national. And he doesn't need to really make it in the French NT as all it takes is 1 NT call up to get cap tied and if that happens there is no guarantee he would be used later on.

Namdynamo, Gacm32, KicksNgiggles and 3 others repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't think Auba had much chance in France.He seems to have hit his stride in 2014 when France had Giroud, Benzema and the other guy who was at Swansea. It would have been tough. He fed probably could have started for Spain at 37492016 since they didn't have Costs not Torres/Villa anymore.

9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #959 ChuckMe92, Jul 10, 2018
    Yup, the US has to hope that Siebatcheu doesn't end up like this guy did for Morocco:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munir_El_Haddadi

I don't think it's likely Siebatcheu ever gets cap-tied by France, just because they are so utterly stacked with top-notch talent, and even their second-tier talents are well above him currently. To me, the odds are fairly low for Siebatcheu even for a lone callup to a Euro qualifier vs. Moldova. But it's possible. And if it happens, it'll be because they want to experiment with him and Haller as potential fill-ins for Giroud. He faces long odds but is lucky in one way, that most of the top young France forwards are on the smaller side.

Winoman, LouisianaViking07/09 and Ger90 repped this.
  10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    You don't have to be a giraffe to be a successful attacker. Just ask Messi.

11. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    That wasn’t the insinuation.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    El Haddadi is dumb, always knew he shouldn't have played for Spain same goes for Bojan Krkic both only played 1 game and both permanently cap tied.

thing is you have the UEFA Nations League and EC 2020 Qualifiers for the next 2 years. ECQ don't have playoff so top 2 teams qualify. France could easily qualify early and have games to spare.

I believe that Concacaf Nations League and UEFA Nations League will make it a lot easier to permanently cap tie players. Before in Europe you had ECQ, EC, WCQ, and WC to cap tied players. Now you can also add Nations League to that list. Between now and the 2022 WC, there will be 2 Nations League for Europe. So Pretty much 6 different chances between NL, ECQ, EC, NL, WCQ, and WC. Let's not forget that if France wins the WC they qualify for the CC.

one should also remember that France could easily provisionally cap tie Jordan with the U21 ECQ. France has 3 games left in the Fall, 2 games in Sept and 1 in Oct. And only need 1 more pts out of 9 to get direct qualification. After that 1pts, useless games are left and 1st game is vs Luxembourg. Any call ups for him are likely to keep him in the French team for awhile.

13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #963 ChuckMe92, Jul 10, 2018
    And we would agree a Siebatcheu callup by France would not be only to cap-tie him to take him away from the US or Cameroon. It'd be a completely reasonable experimental callup by France even if he were not a tri-national, because Siebatcheu is a starter for a pretty good Ligue 1 club, and beyond the aging Giroud, France's depth of tall, physical target forwards isn't that good.

It's true he has been mostly rejected by their U21s in favor of smaller forwards who have better resumes, so he has to do well for Rennes first before serious consideration.

Winoman and Ger90 repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    his disadvantage was always being the only guy from a 2nd division team from the U21 CF list. Which makes his exclusion understandable and also explains why he still wants to try with France. As he's now also in 1st division.

But a lot of these guys haven't really succeeded much in 1st division when it comes to scoring including guys playing in Ligue 1. So yeah if he performs would be hard to ignore him.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Would France worry about losing him to the US or Cameroon. Would they spite us just to call him up to cap him for a cameo appearance? Hopefully, he would resist a call-up until he's sure (he's warranted a start so they can take a credible look at him).

16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, before the "one-time switch" era, when a single youth cap would tie a player to a national team forever, the French were notorious for capping dual national youth players in their ranks "just in case" they developed into a useful NT player.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Damn, cold blooded.

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would they have to lose? We need a little more cold bloodedness in our fed.

19. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    It's a bad look for prospective dual-nat players in the pool. Getting cap tied just so you are ineligible for your other nations rather than getting cap tied on merit might mean once you get the one appearance, but who knows after that.

France can get away with it because they're France.

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can think of an attacker, a defender and a midfielder (recently) that I wish we would have cap tied at very young ages at all costs. Damn the optics.

Namdynamo and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  21. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1. Mentioned this a while back! And I'll say it again. Hoping for the Modeste route for Jordy!

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if I'm kinda overestimating the potential value of Siebatcheu for France as a big/physical target forward. It's a good trait to have, especially with Giroud being old, but not necessarily one that will ever get him a France callup. Modeste is *far* more accomplished than Siebatcheu, and is a big/physical CF too, and he hasn't gotten a single callup. Hasn't yet happened for Haller either, another big forward who is also more meritworthy than Siebatcheu. I only mentioned Haller before, but we should also consider Modeste -- if he isn't getting a callup, almost no way Jordy is.

As I said before, I believe the odds of Siebatcheu ever getting permanently cap-tied by France are fairly low. Far from guaranteed he does remotely well in Ligue 1 (his numbers with Reims in Ligue 1 were fairly poor), and France's forward depth is staggering. I think there's a very good chance even France U21s will continue to reject him when he's in Ligue 1; they simply have better/more deserving forwards at this point unless he does really well for Rennes. Certainly his France chances are above zero, because of a possible experimental callup for his size, but it's not particularly likely.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I don't think him being 2-3 inches taller than the next guy will be a huge motivator for France. Besides.....they have CBs that can score from their set pieces ;)

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States