The Youth Thread | U18s, U21s, Next Gen Series

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Fitzgerald#11, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thats what I get for relying on memory!

2. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal U21s drew with Manchester United U21s in Manchester. This was new coaches Steve Gattings first game after now-former coach Terry Burten was promoted to the Head of Youth Development (according to Jorge Bird).

3. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point but that he cannot latch on to a prem team even at the lower half speaks volumes. I wish him well tho. Always seemed like a nice bloke.

4. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever did not know this would happen, I am sorry. Henderson was really one of my favorites in 2011 Pre-season. Shame really.

When Wenger said that he would be a future first-teamer I believed it. An all Great Britain midfield of Wilshere-Ramsey-Henderson (plays for Ireland) was possible (Well actually I just made this up now, Ramsey was still not good enough back then).

Good luck for wherever he goes. Would love him in MLS.

5. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  6. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Martinez, Bellerin, Hajrovic, Miquel, Bihmoutine, Coquelin, Eisfeld, Hayden, Henderson, Yennaris, Watt

7. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a goal. Arsenal U21 0-1 Manchester United U21

8. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He will never hit a sweeter shot than that.

Bellerin has played a good half and Hendo scored what could be his last Arsenal goal :cry: 1-1 HT

9. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I thought he already had!

10. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What amazed me in that half was the difference in build up play. The Man U defenders just smash the ball up whereas Arsenal will try to pass it out (Of course we do have our smashing moments as well).

11. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    not sure where else to put this, but arsenal ladies won their cl semi final 1st leg 3-1 today.

ps. ex-arsenal ladies mega-captain faye white has officially announced her retirement

12. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Seriously, Rachel Yankey needs to show some of the mens first teamers how to put a ball into the box...

13. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yes! Bellerin, he deserved that. Our stand out performer tonight

14. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jenkinson may have some competition in the future.

15. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    and the u21's beat united.

(bit of a nasty challenge by bellerin at the end)

ps. now that barnet have their new ground and have played their last match at underhill last week (i think that's what i heard), where will the u21's play in future?

edit: it was barnet's last *floodlit* match at underhill, but they do expect to move before next season, so the question still stands.....if anyone knows the answer?

16. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant game.

17. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't heard about Barnet's new ground, I've been to Underhill and was surprised by how much the pitch sloped, they were literally playing uphill half the time. Haven't they already stopped using Underhill for the U-21 matches? The reserves used to play there, but i thought they started playing behind closed doors at London Colney when they revamped the format.

18. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    the u21s played at underhill tonight. the reserves are now amalgamated with the u21s afaik.
    the new barnet ground (the hive) isn't actually finished yet, but is supposed to be by start of next season. i haven't come across what's happening with underhill yet though.
    my local club's pitch is on a hectic slope too. something like 8 foot over the length of it iirc. whoever wins the toss always play uphill first half ;)

19. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am confused. Barnet don't even have a proper design out. How is their any stadium development at all. Not even pictures of the unfinished stadium are available.

20. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    well, they've had over 10 years of tory harassment and nimby's opposed to redevelopment in barnet council's area so they've invested £4m+ already into the hive in harrow council's area, which has almost everything except much in the way of stands. of course saracens, the rugby club, got their permission for everything from barnet council with quite similar proposals....but that's the posh sport and barnet is littered with the wannabe upper classes.
    barnet fc plan to put up 3,500 seats before august with a 5,100 overall capacity on a 10 year intial agreement with harrow council to allow matches.

21. Arsenalkid700

Arsenalkid700 Member

Aug 9, 2011
    New York City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hm, seems simple enough and cheaper than starting from zero.

I wonder though, if Arsenal were to play at this new stadium for Reserve matches and maybe the 1 pre-season match like we used to, would it help Barnet in anyway? Surely with Arsenal (Reserves) being a tenant they could get easier permission.

22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    8 foot? Are you for real? That's like the height of a crossbar...

23. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't Barnet just share Saracens's new ground? It's got artificial turf - so that would actually benefit Barnet. (I realize it's a local politics thing)

24. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    i think it's actually 12 foot diagonally, corner to corner. it does bring the benefit of great drainage though! :D