The Young Socceroos U-20s Thread[R]

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Hachiko, Oct 11, 2008.

1. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    That was pathetic. Over confident, and then just basically inspid. El Salvador basically did what I expected them to do - play a counter attacking game, but we almost looked disinterested even after going down until it looked like we might lose. A shocking performance, terrible. How can a team look so compact and dangerous and then turn to shit in a couple of days? Credit to the El Salvador coach he certainly did his home work on 3 players. Good started it with some shocking crosses, and the rest just seemed to follow suit.

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  3. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Whatever differences Okon has with Amini I wish he'd sort them out.

4. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If these lads are going to be expected to pick up the mantle of the green and gold of the national team when the golden generation retires, than they had better start acting like REAL AUSTRALIANS and show some of that Aussie spirit! These guys should play like Tim Cahill, he puts his heart and soul in to every appearance for the Socceroos!! They need to up the game, and show what REAL Socceroos are made of

5. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Or yanno, the wingers could come inside to combine with Da Silva, who could stay up the pitch and try and use his double-marking to create space for them and Taggart. As it was, he was forced deeper and our front three were static and easily cut out. That might work a bit better than REAL AUSSIE SPIRIT.

Good had a shocker, they stopped pressing him because his ball out from defence was so poor. If he wasn't fit he shouldn't have started. Why Okon didn't try to change things at the hour mark was a mystery, there was no point continuing with the gameplan beyond that point. This team is still an improvement on Versleijen's batch but coach and team need to show they've learnt the lessons tonight.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.the-afc.com/en/tournamen...on-confident-ahead-of-turkish-tie-280613.html

7. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The lads lost 2-1 to Turkey and were eliminated from the tournament. As the World Game, pointed out it has been 10 years since an Australian side won a youth tournament or at least medaled.

If the Socceroos are going to continue to qualify for the world cup, and be a growing force in the sport, than our youth training has got to improve to ensure future and vitality of the Socceroos on the international stage.

8. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Did you watch any of the games? The way they played - especially against Colombia, but to a lesser extent last night against Turkey as well, shows that this generation will be far superior technically than the previous ones. It took two extremely good goals from Turkey to beat us and a scrappy goal from Colombia to force a draw. In both of these games we at least equalled our opposition technically. I have never seen seen an Australian team before that has outplayed (for long periods at least) South American and European opposition at this level. And I mean outplayed too, not out-ran, out-muscled or out-"Aussie Prided" but out played.

The reason we are out is because of the El Salvadore game only, and there were three reasons:
    1. The boys were complacent. After their performance v Colombia they thought this to be an easy game and were punished because El Salvadore wanted it more. In the end they are still "kids" and I can forgive them this, as long as they learn from their mistake - the long plane trip they are about to take should force the lesson home.
    2. Paul Okon was tactically out managed. El Salvadore set themselves up deep to negate the through balls and backed off Australia in defense to pick off the passes instead and it worked a treat. Okon had no answer to this. We needed to take advantage of the space we were given and take our time, especially after we scored, but we just kept doing the same thing even though it wasn't working. Okon is a new coach and hopefully learns from this as well.
    3. Despite the above we still should have won except we had a few players that had sub par performances, especially Goode and, despite the goal, Brilliante. The passing was way off and defensive mistakes atrocious. If we swapped this performance with either of the others I am certain we would be through as a best third place at least.

9. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Japan didn't even qualify for this one. Nor did Germany, Italy, Argentina, Brazil...

Youth football competitions are a crapshoot. Doing well in them doesn't guarantee a future golden generation. What matters more than progressing and medalling is how the team performs.

This team, in all its performances looks a much more cohesive unit than was achieved in the Versleijen era: defence has been integrated with attack, we contest midfield and the confidence on the ball displayed by the likes of Brillante and Da Silva hasn't been seen on these shores in a long time. Unlike Colombia, where we were playing catch-up every game, this team scored first in each.

Sure, we lack confidence to weather opposition pressure and the know-how to change things up, but that's fine. Youth tournaments are where you make those mistakes, learn from them and grow.

Caesar and Quicky repped this.
  10. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It wasn't a terribly bad performance, but once again we gave away possession too easily and we had a glorious opportunity to score and muffed it. More clinical, is what Okon said so at least they know where they're falling down. To be honest it wasn't all doom and gloom. They looked terrific at times and they'll look even better the next time around. We just need to learn to nail opportunities when they come along.

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/match/report/277408/Australia-U20-vs-Turkey-U20

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

We're not as bad as these guys though: ;)

Yep, 16 years without a single win. :)

13. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah, for us its only ten years winless.

14. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    But we are the Aussies, we are SUPPOSED to be the upgrade from the English!

If we do not nurture our youth, we will become England!

15. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As I said before, or hinted before, if you're a true Socceroo fan then strap on in. They're only going to get better. In all honesty, I was expecting a 2-0 loss last night. We outplayed them for a lot of the game we just need to make the most of it. Once that happens, we'll be away.

16. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    ive calmed down since the game and overall we cant be too mad, they played good football and there are going to be some huge stars coming out of this group

its just always hard to take as a fan when you lead in all 3 of these games only to concede goals and not win any of them

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As Z-man said above though, we're looking better now though, than at any time under Versleijen. So no wonder Fozzie's happy, we're playing beautiful football, even though not winning, and that's all that's important to him. :D

18. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I have to be honest though, I still can't believe we lost to El Salvador.

19. Quicky

Quicky Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Wherever I May Roam
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We choked.

20. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    First the U-23 squad for the 2016 Olympics, the U-17's for the 2017 U-17 World Cup, and now the U-20's won't qualify for the 2017 U-20 World Cup. Let's not forget Young Socceroos didn't qualify for the 2015 U-20 World Cup either.

I can't help but be a tad pessimistic about our future. We need to do something about our youth development. I'm not worried about 2018, but I think we need to act if we want to keep qualifying for the WC in 2022 and beyond.

Young Socceroos fail to make World Cup

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...n/news-story/4a9b4ec5a0324caa4a82d74697cdd7de

22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    SOCCEROOS DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

Panos Armenakas (Udinese, Italy, Age: 18), Jake Brimmer (Liverpool, England - 18), Cameron Burgess (Bury, England - 21), Nicholas Cowburn (Newcastle Jets, Australia - 22), Thomas Deng (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands - 19), Alex Gersbach (Rosenborg, Norway - 19), Thomas Glover (Tottenham, England - 19), Jordan Holmes (Eastbourne Borough, England - 19), Ajdin Hrustic (Groningen FC, Netherlands - 20), Chris Ikonomidis (AGF, Denmark - 21), Deni Juric (Hajduk Split, Croatia - 19), Anthony Kalik (Hajduk Split, Croatia - 19), Josh Laws (Fortuna Dusseldorf, Germany - 19), Jordan Lyden (Aston Villa, England - 21), Awer Mabil (Esjberg, Denmark - 21), Stefan Mauk (NEC, Netherlands - 21), Ashley Maynard-Brewer (Charlton Athletic, England - 17), Danijel Nizic (Morecambe, England - 21), Aiden O’Neill (Oldham Athletic, England - 18), Con Ouzonidis (Everton, England - 17), Milislav Popovic (FC Koln, Germany - 20), Thomas Prinsen (PEC Zwolle, Netherlands - 17).

La Trucha repped this.
  23. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Great list. I notice Sebastian Pasquali (Ajax) and Reno Piscopo (Torino) were both left out.

el-capitano repped this.