The young overlooked genius: Willian

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Izzy9, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    While everyone is focusing on Neymar, Lucas Moura and sometimes Ganso, there is another kid who belongs in that group of men. This kid is EXPLOSIVE! Because he plays in an unpopular league in Europe, not too many people seem to know much about him. It appears that he will soon move to Chelsea. I hope he will be part of the Olympics team.

On another note, I'm cringing as I write this thread. It appears that all the threads in this category have been created by one person. Come on! This is becoming a joke. Let's restore some order here.

2. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I havent seen him play, but I just watched him now on YouTube.
    He looks preety good, but he is 23 years old which is 1 year younger than Messi, and he is hardly known.
    I think Neymar and Lucas are better in my opinion.

3. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I also reckon he is one or two steps behind the top class talents like Lucas and Neymar, but nonetheless he is a very agile, good dribbler, creative player. He coulkd be very useful for our NT if he keeps improving, specially his finishing which was always his weakness.

We (Santos) almost signed him in this transfer window you know? OUr president was telling us that yesterday on the radio that we tried to get him, but then Chelsea came and offered 21m for him to join in the middle of the year. Dunno if that's really true, but it would've been a great acquisition for us :eek:

4. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He is stronger than both Lucas and Neymar and he dribbles with lightning speed. Overall, Neymar is the king right now and no one other than Messi can and Cristiano Ronaldo can touch him right now. As for Lucas, everyone knows he is also very talented but, he needs to be more consistent. Right now, I don't know if Lucas is better than Willian. Willian is playing in Europe (although not in a very good league) and he has played in the Champions league. I have seen him do extremely well against Arsenal. He is playing in sub zero temperatures and he is doing well. I wonder how he will do when he moves somewhere that is not as cold. I am beginning to feel good about the selecao again.

We have players like Neymar, Damiao, Lucas, Hulk, Hernanes, Ramires, Dani Alves, Marcelo, Maicon, Dede, Thiago Silva etc... Let's hope that Ganso can really recover and Coutinho and Willian can develop further in two years. I'm really liking that Willian kid. Maybe, he will be the new #10 although he tends to play more on the wing. I'm going to pay more attention to him. I hope he moves to a better league. If Chelsea does not get him now, it's going to be more difficult for them to do so this summer because he will be a free agent next season and he will be able to go to any club without requiring a transfer fee and that means clubs like Madrid, Barca, Manchester United and other european teams will be interested. I really like his skills, power and blazing speed.

5. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Talent, we will always have. We are Brasil godamnit! :D A country with such a big population and passion for football has the OBLIGATION to produce at least 23 talented players. The main problem is how to use and manage such talent, and then we face a lot of problems.

6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i actually have been on the Douglas Costa bandwagon for quite sometime, but willian is solid.

i am curious to know why there's always an abundance of defensive midfielders called up who hardly play vs testing out new attacking mids / wingers.

in addition to willian and douglas costa, there's also michel bastos who is very explosive....

7. scabbt22

scabbt22 Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Michel Bastos was used as a LB in the last WC and didn’t play to well. Granted he plays an attacking role for Lyon but I think he's time is up with the Selecao.

8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that's a shame. he could be a great as an attacking winger.
    players like Diego were used numerous times before they were outed. Bastos is one of those special attackers that could help improve the pace of the game...

9. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    One thing that also should be mentioned about Willian is that he is a very hard working player. I remember the Super Cup final against Barcelona some years ago.

He made it very difficult for Messi and Dani Alves, since he helped defending very much, but it didn't make him less dangerous on the counterattacks though.

I think he is quite similar to Alexis in Barcelona, that might also be why they were interested in him before.

10. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    douglas costa is another one that has been forgotten by the selecao i cant wait for him to be called back and i hope he makes the Olympic team

11. Izzy9

Izzy9 Member

Apr 21, 2011
    U.S.
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know Douglas Costa is awesome. I think he should never have gone to Shakhtar Donetsk. A player like him should have gone to Portugal or Germany for a couple of years where he would have been noticed more and then move on to Spain, Italy or possibly England. Last year, Manchester was interested and wanted to sign him but, I don't know whether they are still interested. I don't think Shakhtar wants to sell him either. Now that they are about to lose Willian this summer, I am sure they will do their utmost to keep Douglas Costa. If he is serious about his career, he will focus less on the money and more on a better league. As for the Olympics, he should make the team but, I don't know if Mano will call him up.