The You don't see that very often thread

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Father Ted, May 21, 2018.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I feel better about not being able to visualize it.

jayhonk and dadman repped this.
  2. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I am doing a match on a horrible field. Intermittent grass and bare spots all over the pitch. This is the one and only field for this league and has been that way for years.

Barely a minute into the game and offense takes a shot from much too far and it is rolling (fast) into the keeper. He goes low to corral the ball and of course it hops a good 6 feet in the air and into the net! Didn't come close to touching it.

We all just shake our heads and get on with the match. Unfortunately, they don't come close to scoring again and that was the game winner.

3. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    ^ I hope it was the visitors that scored. If home lost, maybe they have a little more incentive to fix the field. (Not holding my breath; I've reffed at similar places.)

dadman repped this.
  4. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    One of my favorite phrases to players when they question which direction the throw is going to be, or goal/corner kick. I say, “Laws of Physics!” It usually works.

5. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    A fellow referee was assigned to do a D1 men's college game in another state, far enough away that he had to fly there. He goes out there, inspects the field, and decides that the goal area at one end was unplayable. No game. Not surprisingly, the teams weren't happy, but the goal area was under water.

The next year, he was assigned another game at the same school. The home coach thanked him for having called off the game the previous year. It had given him the leverage he needed with the athletic director to finally get the field rebuilt.

6. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    Unfortunately, there is no "visiting" team. This is a city of Willimantic field that is shared by entire league. Only other full size fields in town are at the 2 HS, one of which is shared with the football team :( At least 8 90 minute adult and HS games a week on it too.

Really sad because this is an area (heavily latino) that generates some really good players. But no $$$ to spare for field maintenance.

7. 65GT350

65GT350 Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I had a first for me this weekend. Needed to extend time for the taking of a PK. Last game of group play for a U17 boys tournament. Draw gets both teams playing for hardware later in the day but they are both playing for the win. With about 1 minute to go and the score 0-0 White is attacking and is brought down in the PA by Purple player. Question as to whether the player was offside requires a short conference with the AR since we have never worked together. His mechanics were correct and I knew he was calling the foul too but just to give confirm that he wasn't calling offside. Kick taken and converted. Only thing that would have been better for drama is a spilled save or miss off the post.

IASocFan, Bubba Atlanta and dadman repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Oh man, that's another one in the category of things I think I know about but have never had to deal with in real life and have probably forgotten and am therefore glad we talk about here. A PK in extended time like that is just like a kick from the mark, right? No follow-up touch permitted because time expires when the kick does?

9. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A penalty kick is officially completed once it's "momentum" has been spent. So if it rebounds off the post and out away from the goal, its momentum has been spent. If an attacker puts the ball in, no goal. If it's deflected by the keeper, it goes off the post and goes in, it's momentum was still carrying it, good goal.. If the ball bounces off the crossbar, goes straight up with crazy spin, hits the ground and rolls into the goal unaided, it's momentum was still being spent, good goal.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  10. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long thread discussing this actually - the way the law is written currently leads to a bit of an inequity (in my opinion) as the LOTG actuall call out when the kick is over in extended time that it is over if any player touches it other than the defending keeper after it has been kicked forward the kick is over so not only the momentum thing but if a defender touches it the kick is over giving the non kicking team an incentive to touch a ball that may be rolling toward goal while the kicking team would not want to touch it. The kicking team can not put a rebound in but the defending team can "save" a goal by ending the kick with any touch.

11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    what @Geko says is right for practical purposes. We had a thread on this not too long ago. Law 14 says:

Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken and completed at the end of each half of the match or extra time. When additional time is allowed, the penalty kick is completed when, after the kick has been taken, the ball stops moving, goes out of play, is played by any player (including the kicker) other than the defending goalkeeper, or the referee stops play for an offence by the kicker or the kicker’s team. If a defending team player (including the goalkeeper) commits an offence and the penalty is missed/saved, the penalty is retaken​

dadman, Bubba Atlanta and Geko repped this.
  12. PlayTheWhistle

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Last weekend U17B tournament. High level teams. One of the teams is ranked in the top 25 nationwide by GotSoccer.

Goalkeeper punts the ball with ferocious backspin. The ball goes high in the air, lands, spins backwards over a group of players, bounces again, and ...... wait for it .... is collected by the goal keeper. I look at my AR. Pause. Carefully review the last couple of seconds to ensure that nobody had managed to touch the ball and called IFK at the keeper near the top of the PA.

Definitely a first for me. Previously I had only run into keeper collecting a ball they released in U10 rec games

Kempa, dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    We need video of that!

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  14. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my biggest fears is I will be doing KFTM and I won’t know when to end the game because somebody won. I know it sounds stupid and the concept is simple but does anyone have a tip for remembering it?

15. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    First, I'm recording the kicker and the result, even if one of the AR's is doing this as your backup, so they can head off possible issues before they get too far from the center circle.

Second, no one can win before the third round's second kicker and even that would require that one team has missed all three kicks and the other has made all three.

Third, when the kicks get to that point, I'm mentally calculating as each kicker comes up whether this kicker's success or failure will determine the outcome. E.g. "If he makes this, they win."

Almost always, the teams know whether they've won or not. I have had, however, a team or two not realize that it is over and they've won. A three blast whistle does the trick.

Kempa, dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  16. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
  17. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Law5 and dadman repped this.
  18. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    For me, the key here is to make the entire process of KFTM mechanical, and have as one of things I do to check and say "does this kick decide the game."

In other words, before we're taking the first kick, I've already figured out (based on age/skill level, my trust in the GK's, my trust in AR1/AR2) how this is going to run. I've also set up my note card (or whatever I'm writing on, since sometimes I use write-on cards) in a very clear way to record both the kicker and the result.

Am I going to reset the ball on the spot, or is the player? How will we retrieve the ball after the kick - can I trust the GK to send it out? Am I going to talk to the kicker before they kick - getting his/her number if I can't see it, any reminders on the rules, etc.? As I write the player number down, I'm confirming whether this kick decides the game.

I've pasted a picture of my notecard from a recent game, just as one example, where I didn't need to record the scorers during regular time. (In this game, I knew before each player took the fifth kick that the result could decide the match. Right side of the card went first. I set up the first five lines before we start, and only added the other ones on each kick.)

My favorite part of that nine-round KFTM: the first seventeen players obeyed the "wait for the whistle" instruction; the eighteenth player - the other keeper - didn't, so when he buried the kick, I had to wave the celebration off and have him kick again.

[​IMG]

dadman repped this.
  19. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'd suggest this is not a question. The player should always be the one to put the ball on the spot. There is no reason to open up an excuse by the player that the ball was in a bad spot.

For the original question, the math is simple: how many shots does the team that is behind have left? Add that to how many they have scored. If that doesn't equal the number scored by the other team, the game is over.

I wholeheartedly agree that thinking through the process in advance is wise. I also agree that at least two officials should be recording--R and the AR at midfield. @seattlebeach 's method works. Mine is two columns. I flip over my game record in my wallet and write down the number of the kicker before he sets up the ball, checking to make sure his number is not to ensure he is not kicking a second time. If he makes it, I circle the number; if he misses, I put a line through it (so the number is still easy to read).

Our AYSO Region has a guide for kicks that may be helpful to new referees. https://2zakag47bj4d1t6g1mhnoeti-wp...ads/Region-13-KFTPM-Procedures-11.29.16-1.pdf (Note that permitting the coach and subs onto the field near their team is a local thing and not in the LOTG.)

dadman repped this.
  21. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Much more interesting than a dog I'd say.

22. 65GT350

65GT350 Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Back to back weekends with stuff you don't see that often. Double touch. Now before you reply that you see that pretty often. The impressive part of this double touch was it was off the goal post and directly back to the thrower. That's right thrower. Pretty impressive for a U11 girl.

RespectTheGame, dadman, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.
  23. BrianD

BrianD Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 29, 2018
    That reminds me, I had my first double touch on a corner kick a couple of weeks ago. U12 tournament team tried a trick play where they spotted the corner, then called for someone else to take the kick while putting the ball in play with a light kick. The opponents started sprinting at the ball, so the original attacker ran back and played the ball again. It was from a left corner, so no AR right there to make the call. I (AR2) had to call it from midfield as the CR didn't realize what happened. Parents did not love me for that call, but I wasn't going to waste the time explaining the attempted and failed trick play.

Law5, dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  24. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    FWIW. I was watching a match on TV yesterday - CAF Cup as I recall. Keeper picked up the ball, took a couple of steps, gently rolled it towards a teammate. Attacker runs in, keeper retrieves ball with hands. Tweet. R and AR both signaled. Indirect from about 15 yards out. Kicks missed the goal.

25. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Here’s one I had never seen before...throw in leaves the thrower’s hands and is in play as defender encroaches to head the ball away. And, it’s indirect from spot of infraction.

(Full disclosure...I did not make this call, nor was I the AR on that side)