The World prefers Kerry

Discussion in 'Elections' started by highgarden, Sep 8, 2004.

1. highgarden

highgarden New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    30 out of 35 countries would elect Kerry as President. Those for Bush: Poland, the Philippines & Nigeria. India & Thailand were split. http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto..._alt_afp/us_vote_poll_bush_kerry_040908164913
    This will not impact the election, but it does give you an idea of how unpopular Bush is outside the US. Which may affect any foreign policy if he has a second term. Such as reducing the US burden in Iraq with more allied troops & money.

2. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    George Washington was universally hated, as was James Madison, and later Abraham Lincoln throughout the world! But that begs the question: who cares a whit what the rest of the world thinks? It hasn't slowed down the number of the rest of the world trying to get in the United States any way they can! As I remember; most of the world thought that the election of Ronald Reagan spelled the end of the world and World War III! Instead, it heralded the collapse of the Iron Curtain!

Strange how the best leaders of the United States are perceived internationally! You want my opinion on the French President?

IntheNet

3. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'd be more interested in hearing from these countries, as well, for a variety of reasons:

Saudi Arabia
    Egypt
    Turkey
    Afghanistan
    Pakistan
    Iran
    Iraq
    Israel
    Tawain
    South Korea
    Liberia
    Haiti

4. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[sings]Stop! The lie you save may be your own....[/sings]

[​IMG]

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really need to ask?

6. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, yes.

I know Iraqis universally want US out of there country. But what do they think Kerry would do differently, if anything? I wonder how they feel when Kerry talks about broadening the coalition.

Afghanistan? I bet Bush would do OK in Afghanistan.

Saudi? Confess, no idea, but I'd like to know.

Israel? Tawain? South Korea? Liberia? Haiti? All countries we play at least some role in defending. I'd like to know what they think.

7. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a question of what Kerry would do differently, but a referendum on W's demonstrated incompetence.

8. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right, at least in Iraq. Fine. Maybe so. I'd just rather hear what some of these countries think than say, Norway or South Africa or Brazil or Argentina.

Btw, I'd like to add our partners in the war on drugs, Colombia, to that list as well.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is 'interesting idea', but I wish they would have asked some more relevant countries.

9. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I forgot Russia. Them too.

10. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    Yeah, that Franklin Deleano Roosevelt was universally reviled. I hear they used to burn him in effigy in Trafalgar Square circa 1944.

11. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    However, as far as the real voters are concerned. what Kerry would do is important.

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    That's nice. Hopefully they will think about that on Nov. 2 when the AMERICAN people decide our next leader.

Stopper, I read a couple months ago about a poll taken in Israel where Bush's approval rating was something like 85% IIRC.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you could provide quotes from the leaders of say...Vietnam, India, Brazil, South Africa, and Saudi Arabia expressing their displeausre with Washington that would go along way in proving your "point." Thanks.

14. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happens in American, affects the rest of the world. If you don't believe me, watch markets around the world after the results of the election are announced.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny Funny... how about King George? Would he count?

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, yes. However, despite what he would have told you, he doesn't represent the rest of the world.

17. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about King Louis of France...does he count?

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he ruling France at the time of Washington, if so, then yes. But I'm pretty sure the French liked us at that point in time. You know, the whole pissing off Britain thing.

19. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and that Kennedy, man was he hated. His speech in Berlin went over like a lead balloon. It will be a long time before streets around the world are named Rue Kennedy, Avenida Kennedy or Kennedystrasse.

20. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just out of curiosity, how many electoral votes do these 35 countries make up?

21. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, after the Bush administration managed to completely undermine everything that Kim Dae-Jung had accomplished with the Sunshine Policy (which admittedly had its drawbacks, but was having at least some beneficial effects on the political climate of the peninsula as opposed to what we're faced with now), and effectively ignored Noh Moo-Hyun, it's pretty safe to say that South Korea - lest we forget, one of our most vital allies - wants Bush gone.

22. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    Pissing off Britain? The country was divided over the American colonies and the scuffle over there in the struggle for independence. Like throughout history, there are those for and against, just they don't teach the complexities and diversity of history in most schools. Let's keep it simple and glamorous for the kids.

At the end of the day, it is for the people of the USofA to decide who THEIR leader is.

23. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Isreal had a poll which showed people want Bush over Kerry by a very wide margin.

As for those Canadians who love Kerry, they'll be in for a rude surprise if he gets into the White House. We already know here in the West that he wants to keep the border closed to Canadian beef.

It ain't for health reasons at all.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Of course it is Frank. But there's no doubt that most of the world will breathe a sigh of relief if Kerry gets elected.

25. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    I think it is a bit too far when we look to the USA for everything. The world rotates around the USA, so the general belief goes. Much of the world economy is now centred around the Far East and in particular China and Japan. The world has been in a state of flux for the last decade since the fall of the Communist Bloc, and the USA is still trying to find it's feet like most other countries.

All said and done, Bush/Kerry where is the difference? There will not and cannot be a sudden abrupt turn of policy.