The World Cup Hooligans Thread Part II [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by usscouse, Jul 6, 2018.

1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As Hobo will point out, I could be wrong here because I haven't read the exact VAR rules-book. But I was under the impression that VAR isnot used for assessing the validity of free-kick foul calls by the referee? So, the Griezman foul call wasn't related to anything VAR-like.

However, I agree that the penalty call VAR issue was both a pain to watch and a bigger pain to Croatia.

Q. - Is there a particular VAR rule for penalty area handball (as opposed to penalty area wrestle fouls such as the glaring one in the Serbia-Swiss game?
    I thought that VAR (for a penalty call) only came into effect if the referee needed a review of his own decision because he was uncertain - but in this case (i think) the referee didn't make a decision because it was something he hadn't seen. The players made a big deal and then maybe he got a word from his mike that there was a possible hand-ball.... But why is he getting a word form his mike about a call he did not make that is not violent conduct?
    what exactly happened? It really looked to me like he did not initially see any handball contact at all, so it wasn't a matter of his then reviewing it to see if it could be definitely deemed unintentional. I could be wrong, but that's how it looked to me.... like he had no clue until the French players started remonstrating.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    dunno about others, but I didn't support any team at this WC so I had nothing to "separate". but I really dislike a number of the players from the Prem, so that helped me lean towards one team vs another.

delaynomo and CB-West repped this.
  3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    True - and moreso - how many like Loivgren will have played in three in 13 months....
    ;)

4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know it’s not universally accepted but he used his hand to deflect the ball from its trajectory. As Ken said, I’ve seen less obvious hanballs given against us. And, anyhow, the referees have been giving these as handball all tournament long.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. It was a definite possible call....

6. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's kind of my point though. You don't like them because they're Liverpool's rivals in the league but this is a different planet. At least that's my opinion. I know we're all humans and it's just natural. I've struggled with it in the past myself.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    not exactly -- eg Hazard plays for Chelsea, but I have no negative feelings about him (a v good player actually). but his Belgium mate Fellaini is a totally different proposition. I effing hate him, for reasons that have a lot more to do with him being a prick than being a Manc. ergo I tend to want his national team to lose while he's playing.

delaynomo repped this.
  8. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's a tough one...I don't care for Hazard - because he plays for Chel$ki - but also because when everyone was drooling over him a couple years ago when he won POY, I saw him as a diving cheat...falling over every time anyone touched him (especially if there was a lead in the game...)

I still see him that way, and still don't care for him (or Fellaini for that matter)...in spite of that...I was hoping for a Belgium - Croatia final...just because I wanted a new WC winner...

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Hazard seems an equally astute wanker alongside Fellaini....... the rest of the belgians I like

soccershaggy and CB-West repped this.
  10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no, the ball hit his hand. nobody's reflexes are that fast.

11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m on the side of the ball hitting his hand after the French player missed heading it. It was coming in too fast to deliberately do anything.

However his hand was also away from his body which is why I think they gave it.

soccershaggy repped this.
  12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the only way to resolve these debates is to make it simpler --

if the ball hits a defender's arm in the box, it's a pen, period. doesn't matter how fast the ball moved, how he or others positioned himself, whether his arm moved ... whatever. it's a pen. every time.

now that's not gonna happen, so these debates will last forever.

god bless VAR. :rolleyes:

burning247 and CB-West repped this.
  13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, as usual the proverbial blood is on FIFA's hands with this one. If they just made a blanket statement that said "if your hand/arm didn't exist, would the original trajectory of the ball have been different? If the answer is yes, then hand ball. End of," we wouldn't have these stupid debates across the world. Instead they want to leave it ambiguous for some damn reason.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    wot -- no Arry Kane? :)

good to see Lovren getting the recognition there.

Young???? gimme strength .... :rolleyes:

Neymar??? LOL .....

16. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's in his contract...

17. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paulinho and not DeBruyne? Balderdash!

soccershaggy, Wingtips1 and SamScouse repped this.
  18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Who picked that team? Ashley Young and Trippier as the fullbacks in a back 4. They played as wingbacks which is more of a midfielder and an easy position to play.

Neymar and Paulinho? Coutinho and Casemiero were more deserving from their own team.

I’m glad Lovren made it. It’s a big season for him. He’s a Champions League and World Cup finalist, he is self proclaimed as one of the best in the world, and now he’s in the team of the World Cup. It is set up perfectly for him to have a great season. He just has to perform on a consistent basis.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    No. It hit him and dropped so he pushed it out with his hand. Good call.

Red Bird repped this.
  21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL

soccershaggy repped this.
  22. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002