The women just don't get it...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by seahawkdad, Aug 24, 2002.

1. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished watching the WUSA championship game and again was dismayed at a pattern that I've seen in almost all women's games: they just don't understand the nuances of the sport...

When they go down from a hard tackle or collision they don't writhe in pain, holding their shin or ankle. They don't require the blessing from the magic water. They just get up and play.

Don't they realize they are ruining our game by this behavior???

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all a result of our lack of a strong nationwide developmental program. It will improve in time, with good coaching and early introduction to the fundamentals. I understand that Nancy Kerrigan is being courted to address this issue specifically.

3. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Are you listening Ariel, Luis, Diego, et al. ad nauseam?

WUSA needs to strike a sponsorship deal to import the very finest in Latin American shampoos and conditioners.

4. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also don't know how to shoot, pass, tackle, or dribble, so yes you are correct sir-they don't understand the nuances of the game.

5. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    Considering you think Bruce Arena can't coach, I think the women have just been paid a high compliment.

6. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Maybe they should hang out with Ariel Grazziani

7. Mattinho

Mattinho Member

Jan 27, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, you're keeping logs on all bigsoccer users now are you? That says all we need to know about your pedigree.

8. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's funny how Americans seem to be the only people that watch womens football or even take it seriously.

It's on about once every few months on Sky.

9. FigoB1

FigoB1 New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Virginia
    It's funny how? Please explain to this dumb American.

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, as a nation we also do not really understand the larger nuances of football either. For instance, it has never occurred to USSF to ban women from playing on their fields as the FA did for so many years in England. Will we never learn?

We have so much to gain by following such great examples of open mindedness as England and Nigeria.

Please do lend us a hand.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    But surely they've perfected the art of intimidating the ref by surrounding and bumping him after a red card or a penalty? If not, god help them all.

12. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: The women just don't get it...

I'm not sure male refs would necessarily interpret this as intimidation :D

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Re: Re: The women just don't get it...

With the cuties currently playing in WUSA? No way!

Let's not degenerate this into a men's vs women's soccer thing. Obviously women are not as fast and strong as men. Regardless, the game was truly a great match played with intensity and fire.

14. Giggsy

Giggsy New Member

Mar 23, 2002
    Twin Cities
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I have to say that I was watching the Founder's Cup and San Jose v Colorado on picture in picture side by side on my tv but the women's game seemed to me to be played at a higher level relatively speaking and it sure was more entertaining. Of course that could be partly due to the fact that San Jose is not playing particularly well lately.

15. Tony Ebola

Tony Ebola Red Card

Jan 17, 2001
    Can Arena coach?

Logs, schmogs. You just got found out.

16. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I surprised myself by switching over occasionally from the Rapids-quakes game which seemed to be pretty well in hand. More suspenseful - however, it reminded me a lot of the U15 select game I reffed this morning. :)

17. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

USA can learn a great deal from other countries, but that's another story....

Nobody is saying women should not play football, just don't expect anyone to watch it.

More women watch and enjoy mens football then womens.

18. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Women play football? I have to see this, what channel is this on?

19. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the million dollar question.............

20. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might be true, but that's no reason for dismissing the women's game out of hand. Popularity has never been a consistent guarantor of quality. And seahawkdad is perfectly correct in pointing out that diving, faking injuries, and other kinds of cheating are faults that are far less in evidence in the women's game than in the men's.

21. FigoB1

FigoB1 New Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Virginia
    "USA can learn a great deal from other countries, but that's another story.... "

Like how Europeans appease mass murderers because they lack the guts to defend themselves?

Or were you talking about how to avoid personal hygiene at all costs?

You wanna hint at stereotypes? I can go all day, pal! ;)

22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't forget how to butcher women in the name of tradition. Stereotypes abound all over the world.

Sachin

23. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    Nice to see you Thepremierleague and I don't blame you for all the bad things in Europe and Nigeria. Your posts are refreshing in this PC hothouse.
    And yes, Americans can learn a thing or two from abroad.

24. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The wierd thing is in England it's not politically incorrect at all.

Saying nobody watches or really cares about Womans football here is a fact and would draw little argument.

In the USA it's very different I see. With no historically deep rooted professional mens game people actually respect and even watch womans football. The football culture there is totally different to the rest of the world.

How popular is womens Basketball, Baseball and American football? Not very I bet.

P.S Forget Europe and Nigeria, America is up to it's arse in problems, home and especially abroad. :D

25. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And one of the biggest problems is political correctness. Just call it what it is: Lying.