The Weston James Earl McKennie Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by sXeWesley, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not correct, I don't think. A sprain is generally considered a partially torn ligament, but a ruptured ligament is completely torn.

I guess it's possible there is a translation issue.

Edit:

"There are three grades of ligament injuries. The first grade is a mild tear in which the ligaments can stretch however they do not tear. The joint may swell or cause pain, but the increased severity can occur should the injury repeat itself. The second grade is a moderate ligament tear. This grade is classified as moderate as the ligament tears only partially. Common side-effects include swelling and bruising. Should someone has a grade two ligament injury, they will experience pain in trying to use the ligament. Grade three is a severe ligament tear, also known as a ruptured ligament. This grade is classified as ruptured as this is when the ligament is entirely torn."

https://perlmanclinic.com/what-we-treat/ligament-injuries/

2. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Absolutely - it was reckless play- which is pretty much how he plays.

3. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    i might suggest this would be a learning experience for him.

4. Pragidealist

Pragidealist Member+

Mar 3, 2010
    Hopefully- but he has had injuries before and this is mostly how he plays. We'll see. He's an interesting talent. I still have a hard time evaluating him.

onefineesq repped this.
  5. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s out for a while, probably 2-3 months on the safe side.

6. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    me too. but i feel pretty certain that for the next 2-3 months he's not going to be asking: "wow, what the heck happened?", but rather: "s#it, why TF did i do that and how can i minimize not doing it again?"

ttrevett and Pragidealist repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds less serious than feared. McKennie has some damn flexible joints.

8. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruptured ligament is less serious that feared? Unless US Soccer is coming out and saying it isn't a ruptured ligament, then it's probably the end of the season for him professionally. IMHO, it ain't all bad so that he is no longer covered in the stink of Schalke 04's lost campaign. It's bad for Schalke 04 however, but that's their problem. If they drop, worst case scenario, Weston's contract will be sold to some other 1BL club. A nice rest and rehab stint for him at this age (especially given that it isn't a knee or something that will require surgery) isn't the worst thing for a kid his age.

9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to predict he's back sooner than anyone predicts. Why? Because he's had several other tough injuries since he's been with Schalke and he seems a very quick healer. As for whether he learns something - I doubt it because that is who he is. He isn't always smooth but he creates chaos on the opposing team. He's sort of the polar opposite of Parks who is so smooth but just kind of stays in his spot and tries a stab at a ball for a defensive effort while McKennie and Adams will hound a player into the locker room if necessary.

Pragidealist repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Berhalter just say it was a sprain? I've also see some articles saying they will take it "week to week" with him as opposed to month-to-month.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, reports are now clarifying that he's out for the season, but might be back for the Gold Cup. Fine by me.

ttrevett repped this.
  12. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be nice to see him in the Gold Cup. I still don't have a sense for where he is best deployed in the USMNT. For that matter, I don't know where he is best deployed for Schalke 04. I've heard him interviewed by Meola and Dunseth and he said he prefers the 8 role. He likes the box to box mentality.

From those who have watched him more than I for Schalke 04 this year, does he have the technical skills to play in that role? Certainly he has the pace and athleticism to be a 6, but i don't know that I've seen him be great in the attacking third from the standpoint of crucial passes. It might be that his professional season has been such a wash from the perspective of how bad the club is currently, that we haven't gotten a real feel for his qualities, especially given the fact that he has been rotated as much as he has.

He mentioned in that same interview that he wants to be established and known as an 8, as he fears that if he isn't, then he isn't seen as a master of that position, and won't ever be critical to the team. He's a pretty smart character.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see him as our best 8. He has a fair number of assists and goals on a pretty poor Schalke team. He can get forward and make a pretty good final pass. he's strong and a decent finisher as well. Obviously he's elite in the air. It will be fun watching him develop.

14. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    no irony intended?

QuakeAttack and Lloyd Heilbrunn repped this.
  15. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    1 goal and 4 assists in the league. Fair number?

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know you've excluded his CL production?

2 goals and 6 assists total.

17. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    I did say in the league.

18. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    He’s an advanced or wide midfielder. Not a 10 obviously, but more like the position Bradley was playing in the 2014 WC after Jozy got hurt. He’s not the type of 8 that you want touching the ball 70+ times a match. He’s not a tidy square-passer at all, but he actually does possess the ability to see and play the final ball.

He’s a big-play guy in either third with his aggression.

If this possess at-all-costs formation that GGG deploys doesn’t work out, I would love to see McKennie, Adams and Pomykal in a three-man central midfield with Adams generally the deepest and McKennie generally the most advanced in possession, but with all three not adhering to static roles.

19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, the height of the jump was pretty elite, it was the landing that just didn't come off.

onefineesq repped this.
  20. sregis2

sregis2 Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    bummer, that whole gravity-thing.

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Glad to read all the optimistic predictions and light-hearted banter, but I'm pretty pessimistic. Maybe I have less faith in modern medicine.

Just looking at how McKennie landed I would have predicted:

Out the rest of this season, out for the Gold Cup, not ready for the start of the next club season, not 100% until sometime next year.

I would say 'if ever' but that seems overly pessimistic. Some injuries have long-lasting consequences, and I hope McKennie doesn't rush himself back into action.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, of course.

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    "It's not the fall that'll kill ya, it's the landing."

Winoman repped this.
  23. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Neurologist not an Orthopedist, but predicted after watching the injury that at least a ligament ruptured. However, usually when that happens, surgery's required in contrast to a sprain. If McKennie didn't actually rip the ligament, then he'll be on crutches for a while and his recovery will depend on his response to rehab. Let's cross our fingers for Weston.

TimB4Last and USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Bradley had a very similar injury. Would a younger person have a better prognosis for this injury? Bradley took a turn down in performance but I understand he had surgery on a nerve in his foot at one point and I don't know if it was something connected to his injury or something separate. The German bulletin on the injury to McKennie was "rupture". What would be the connection between nerve and lilgament rupture? Is it fair to say it would come from necessarily having to cut into tissue during surgery? (Or is it something that happens after surgery as part of the rehab?)

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Some reason for optimism ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/us...ng-up-injured-tyler-adams-down-004856472.html

"McKennie retuned to training on Monday {April 8} for the first time since spraining his ankle playing for the U.S. in last month’s friendly win over Ecuador.

Takeaway: The 20-year-old Texan’s recovery has gone faster than expected as McKennie was initially feared out for the remainder of the Bundesliga season. Getting in a few matches with Schalke before the Gold Cup would be huge for the U.S., which will rely heavily on its all-action midfielder throughout the tournament."