The Wayne Rooney Thread Part IV

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only makes sense for him to go back to Everton for nostalgia. Even if he cuts his wages in half he will be one of their highest paid players and still a bench player.

I can't really see him going back to Everton. MLS or China are the only two plausible options IMO.

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the real question is why should Everton take him back?

they weren't good enough for him when he was good so why should they welcome him back and put up with him on high wages when he is sub standard?

he wouldn't even be a clear first xi player for them.

if they refuse him i would understand completely

3. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Your 2nd point is my issue. I don't think he makes them better. Everton are trying to move forward and be a CL pretender. Rooney doesn't do that for them, even on low wages.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Commercially he makes them money. What he does on the pitch is irrelevant. Regardless I only see it happening if Lukaku moves. When the manager and head of recruitment are talking about him coming "home" the interest is clearly there.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose is hoping both Rooney and Zlatan will be at the club next season...

www.bbc.com/sport/football/39157293

Side note, his comments re Shaw also were interesting and only confirm, for those who have any doubts, that he simply have no intentions to sell Shaw (as long as he does his part).

6. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    It's all posturing, and he's playing it perfectly.

7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1707 Ashur, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    He's basically putting it all on Rooney at this point. It's clear that he's no longer a major player for him ie a regular, but I'm sure that Jose actually means it when he says he'd want him to stay.
    After all, why not? Rooney has taken to his new role extremely well (better than anybody would have guessed), while still providing another veteran presence in the locker room. He won't stand in his way if Rooney wants to leave, but he's definitely not going to push him out either. It's pretty obvious at this juncture...

8. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  9. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  10. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whoa. I didn't realize he was fit and dropped, I thought he was still hurt. Bold move from Southgate considering its a few years overdue. I like his words on what a country's captain means as well.

11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is why I was asking yesterday about him. Nothing much from media. I guess the Rooney story is finally over.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose laid all the groundwork and Southgate is finally and expectedly, following suit as well. Fact of the matter is, Rooney simply hasn't played enough as of late to either warrant a call up or retain the captaincy. And it's the perfect opportunity for England to move on as well and for Southgate to genuinely look ahead with a new start of sorts.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Would also force Rooney's hand in moving this summer either to try to rescue his England career or in the knowledge it is over which opens up China or USA as more viable options.

Gilma1990 and benni... repped this.
  14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His England career should be dead. Forget resuscitation. Is a 20 goal season in China or USA gonna bring him back into the fold? Considering there's Lallana, Welbeck, Kane, Alli, and other young players available? Is it worth the hassle of declaring him a captain again when he's back, or even having that discussion? Even Jermaine Defoe is more relevant to England at this time.

Retire, get a nice farewell game in the summer or fall, and keep it moving.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely agree that there's more and more motivation now for him to leave, which he'll probably do in the summer. China would still be a surprise choice, despite all that money on the table apparently and everything looks primed for a move to MLS, I think now (especially one of the LA teams).

16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Rooney is still good enforcement a 23 man England squad.

17. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think there is too much "extras" that come with him being in the squad. easier to omit him and deal with that rather than include him and he isnt playing much and having to deal with that personality in the team.

He is not the type of personality that the team would benefit from even if he isnt playing.

18. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's truly best for the England NT to cut Rooney loose altogether. England are not going to win the WC in 2018 but if this squad can come together through that experience and somehow pull it together they might put on a surprisingly good show in the Euros 2020. As I understand it, Wembley will host one of the semis in 2020 -- winning a Euro semifinal at Wembley should be the minimal goal of England NT management and one sure path to not getting there would be let Rooney hang around for another 1-3 years.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible but the question at this point is would he even bother (to be in the squad that is, unless he features). Southgate appears to be following Jose's lead and get started on a team without him.
    As far as on the pitch options, there are clearly better ones than him, regardless of the position he might be considered for. Rooney's got the records that really matter to him, the only one he could be in the running for might be all time appearance one, I believe and not sure it's worth that much to him (especially in the current circumstances ie not being a prominent member of the squad or captain anymore).

20. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  21. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not surprising comments. Some of these old boys would have Rooney playing LB if it could keep him in the side.

Professor Brainfart repped this.
  22. Professor Brainfart

Dec 23, 2016
    Planet Reality
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It really is incredible that Rooney still has so many defenders...defenders of the rhetorical kind, that is. He was an astonishing talent in his day but Father Time claimed him as He does so many other great footballers. He earned his medals and personal awards, honors which no one can take away from him. But it's time for him to move on to a lower level of footballer and it's time for United to help him move on.

From a club's supporter's point of view Rooney has always been a mixed bag. His ability was undeniable but he held the club hostage twice and in so doing advanced his own interests at the expense of Manchester United. That cannot be overlooked.

24. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I would rather have Rooney than Ibrahimovic. If we are going to have a fake #9 standing aimlessly around outside the box, constantly losing possession and occasionally stat padding a goal we should just stick with the one who has more left in the tank and is better commercially.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  25. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's post of the year stuff, Teso.

What's next...you'd rather have Tim Howard over the shameless stat-padding David De Gea?