The Washington Spirit

Discussion in 'Washington Spirit' started by StarCityFan, Dec 11, 2012.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we know so far:

- They will play on the stadium field at the Maryland Soccerplex.
    - Key personnel are inherited from the DC United Women:
    Owner: Bill Lynch
    General manager: Chris Hummer
    Head coach: Mike Jorden
    Assistant coach: Cindi Harkes
    - Team colors: red, white, and blue
    - Twitter handle: @WashSpirit

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I like the idea of the logo but it looks kinds "flat" to me, like it's a logo from the '90's. Not in a bad way (like some of the absolutely garish original MLS logos) but it just doesn't "pop". The styling on the "DC" is pretty sweet, though.

That said, I'm just glad we can start talking about it directly. I hope we start getting some player names by the end of the month!

(Also, glad to see they're keeping a W-League team active.)

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I predict the Spirit will be in the inaugural match, and it will be televised.

Probably the Spirit vs. the Sirens (or Rose City).
    Get the East and West Coast fans both excited about the inaugural match.

Don't make the inaugural match East vs. East, or West vs. West.
    Make it East vs. West.

Then you can make the Rose City (Portland) vs. Seattle game an anticipated matchup in week 3 or so. Same for Boston vs. Sky Blue. Maybe have the rivalry matches in the same week (one time during the season), and call it "Rivalry Week", in mid-season, to re-energize the fans for the 2nd half of the season.

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on all counts. Logo is a step back from the WPS Freedom logo (though still a step up from the WUSA one, which I always thought was surreal).

I would hope that they'd announce the NT allocations in the next couple of weeks, but we'll see.

I'm also quite happy that they're maintaining the Freedom tradition of supporting both a pro team and a high-level amateur team. I should still be able to see most of my favorite players from last year's DCU Women, even the ones who are still in school.

5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Washington Spirit receive seven players from NWSL allocation

My thoughts:

Washington Spirit Allocation - First Thoughts

6. Mimsy Borogoves

Sep 6, 2009
    Ashlyn Harris is currently under contract with Duisburg in the Bundesliga for 2013. She leaves for Germany on Saturday. She may be only available from mid-May thru July.

Ashlyn Harris@Ashlyn_Harris
    @NWSLNews yes but I leave for Germany Saturday morning. We might have to do it over email or Skype when I get there. :)

Jeff Kassouf@JeffKassouf
    RE: Harris. MT @womensoccer_de I had a chat with Duisburgs sporting director and he said she will definitely finish the season w/ Duisburg.

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff/Washington Post: Spirit taking shape without Olympians

8. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    She not only would have been on the team, she would have started.
    And Kelley O'Hara wouldn't have played a single minute as a defender by now.
    In fact, O'Hara would have been a midfielder on that team the entire time, but would have been allocated in the league as a "Forward", since not that many were allocated at that position by the U.S.

11. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    It doesn't make sense that the Spirit didn't get a single Olympian. Harris being gone for quite a bit of the season just adds salt to the wound.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nice interview with Krieger on Black and Red site. Cover a lot of stuff.

http://www.blackandredunited.com/wa...i-krieger-mike-jorden-chris-hummer-allocation

OK, well it wasnt an interview just the recap of one so let me recap the recap

1. Getting Krieger was considered a priority by the Spirit
    2. They werent at all surprised Portland and WNY did so well in allocation and believe putting the stars in best venues is good for the league.
    3. They r looking for attacking players in free agency and the Draft (big shocker there)
    4. They dont know the draft order yet

That was a couple new things for me at least. Still not sure why they wont do the blind draw so teams know where they r picking.

13. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    O'Hara replaced Tarpley who got injured after being named to the WC, and was made defender after Ali hurt. Right places at right times. Its highly likely WPS_ would otherwise be listing O'Hara as a free agent.

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Even if Tarpley "and" Krieger didn't get hurt, I gotta think O'Hara was ahead of Winters for an allocation spot. After Tarpley got hurt, O'hara was brought on to the team, not Winters. Therefore, I think O'Hara was always ahead of Winters on the pecking order, hence O'Hara should have been allocated ahead of Winters, if it ever came down to those two. If Tarpley were still here now (and Krieger was one of the 23 allocated this time), then I think Winters would be the odd one out, not O'Hara. But we don't have proof of that.

15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll buy that, but still alot of ifs. Using the logic in reverse, I would running the company instead of the other guy now. :(

16. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine it came down more to position of need to fill out the depth roster for the WWC. There are pecking lists at each position. If Boxx had been injured, imo, it would have been Winters called in, not Ohara. I don't really expect a DM to be called in to replace a forward / midfielder. Similarly, I would have expected that neither one of them would be picked if the injured player had been a CB.

17. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
  18. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was dithering over this, then Googled photos of Caroline Miller and decided we definitely need her at the Soccerplex.

[​IMG]

19. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Ditto that....I'm sorry I asked.....could it be the next Alex Morgan? WoW!

20. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    It will be either Miller or Nairn. I don't think they'll waste their top pick on a GK if Harris will be back relatively soon. Between the two I'm partial to Nairn but DC does need some forwards...

21. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, some people think we're going to take Franch, but the Flash need her more than we do. My guess is that Chicago takes Mewis, and we take Nairn. Hoping we can get at least two of our four locals: Nairn, Miller, Tiffany McCarty (who used to play for the Freedom's W-League team and scored their final goal in the 2007 championship match), and Holly King (who was superb for the DCU Women in 2012).

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    StarCityFan, I may come out there (DC) this season for a game and visit some friends in the area. Hope to see you again.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a NWSL and MLS doubleheader game again? I had a blast at the CRS/Freedom - Fire/DC United doubleheader a few years back.

23. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool and not a question I've seen anyone ask the Spirit organization yet. I'll have to see if there are any plans when I get the chance.

24. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    She's not the next Morgan "off the field". Miller doesn't exactly have the same sex appeal that Horse has. It just won't happen, but she's still young and attractive, and a great attacking goal scorer. But don't expect any P.R. to blow up over her looks. She's attractive, but won't be doing any body paint photo shoots. She doesn't have the lower 2/3 body, and the face that Morgan has. That's what Horse has over everyone else to be the Queen in that role, in terms of sexual marketability. Most men who don't watch soccer, or don't know anything about soccer, they still know who Alex Morgan is. They won't know who Caroline Miller is, even if Miller scores 30 goals in her rookie season, and blows up on the national team soon.

[​IMG]

25. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the allocations in place, I'd bet on WNY @ Portland. Guaranteed sellout plus the league's marquee players all on the same pitch.