The War on Voting

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Which is what I have stated from the beginning. What facts do you have? Generally, there is nothing but opinion around here. Is that not the purpose of an internet forum, to express opinion?

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you not been reading the links? Namely the links showing that in-person impersonation voter fraud is virtually unheard of. If you want to get serious about voter fraud, then the focus should be on absentee ballots, which is where a super majority of voter fraud occurs.

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If you want to get serious about voter fraud, then require everyone to present an ID and then let's look at the stats. If you want to get serious about voter fraud, then let's require proof of citizenship and residence when registering to vote. If you want to get serious about absentee ballots, then let's wait to count them before declaring the winner of an election instead of only using them when the vote is close.

4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falc, prove that voter fraud is a problem in the US. Point to studies that have concluded that this is the case. Because you've been presented with recent studies that show the exact opposite. Which you for whatever reason choose to ignore.

5. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude..

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    This is a really disingenuous post - why are you 'getting serious' about a non-issue. You're not adding anything here but offering the same talking points and laws that have been slapped down by the courts.

I have no skin in this game, and I show ID to vote every time up here. The reality of the vast majority of these laws are thinly veiled attempts to disenfranchise voters that don't vote Republican - you're just dressing it up as a solution to problem that doesn't exist.

Plus, you're bringing out all kinds of stupid posts from lefties who are sick of your dis-ingenuity - and I want to avoid kitten pics.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh. Not all states ignore absentee ballots. Here in Washington that's really the only option. If memory serves me correctly, for the 2 million-ish people living in King County there are 5 in person voting locations.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Also, a voter registration card is a government issued form of identification. Just ask your firm's HR person.

9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So would you have a problem if an individual had to provide that voter registration card? The alternative is to provide a government ID. I am not advocating only one method of voter identification. And I will admit that nothing is perfect. I have offered my driver's license in the past two general elections only to be told it was not necessary and given the look as if I would pass some virus or germ to the person scratching my name off the ballot directory if it was accepted.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This reminds me of England's war on trafficked underaged prostitutes. It was good politics for both the right and left to pretend that a massive problem existed. The right got to state that it believed in family values and the left that it stood for society's victims, so both sides were happy.

Eventually The Guardian chronicled how England's War on Trafficking spent 10 million pounds to find absolutely nothing, and the pols were embarrassed into a temporary silence.

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Did you have to sign something to vote?

12. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Propose something constitutional that doesn't disenfranchise people - and give enough lead time/amnesty so that people who want to vote, and are currently able to, will be able to do so in November.

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about you, but the signature on my voter registration is from when I first registered as a 18 year old. My signature has changed quite a bit since then. I'm also not the only one that way. Here in Washington there was an attempt to purge the voter rolls following the 2004 Governor election (the Dem won by 129 votes) and one of the ways the Republicans tried to prove the voter rolls were full of fraudulent voters is they sent a $5 check to a sampling of voters (in Democratic heavy districts, mind you) and then compared the signature on the back of the checks to the signature on the voter record. They found a decent number where the signatures didn't match and then promptly ran to the press with this information. When the press checked on the voters who "failed" what they found was that the people were legit voter registrations, they just had different signatures for checks and official records. :)

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Which establishes two things--
    1. the the challengers weren't very good at handwriting comparison, and

2. that they were comparing to registration signatures, not "last election signatures."

But my actual point is that we use signatures for a myriad of identification purposes; checks, bar-tabs, enrollments, etc, and they work fairly well. The claim is that there is nothing to stop anyone from voting under anyone else's registration-- but in fact there is something, and it is reasonably effective.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but your opinion boils down to being like that Truther clown Alonso whose "opinion" was that the Jews and the CIA knocked down the Twin Towers, or some shit like that.

16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Dave - Do you think I give a ******** about your opinion. Look, you are part of that 47% that I will never convince otherwise nor do I care to. I love how all of the cyber bullies around who here like calling me a liar, stupid, uninformed, etc. as if they carry some true authority. When you have nothing else to retort to, call someone names. This is a soccer forum and we are here expressing opinions in a NSR thread.

As for the question concerning my signature, I signed a receipt. Where that receipt went and what they did with it, who knows. It is not efficient.

This disenfranchisement is a bunch of bull. The voting machines will easily take care of those they want to come out and vote. Just as they go out and register the masses, they will also arrange for those masses to acquire ID's if necessary. It is what is done to win an election.

17. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

taosjohn and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    How long does it take to vote in person?

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet! A 47% sighting!

Deep end, meet Falc. Falc, deep end.

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Are you in that club too?

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that you have an opinion that is contraverted by the facts.

Well, that's not REALLY the problem. The problem is that your opinion is contraverted by the facts, AND you aren't changing your opinion in the fact of the facts. Sort of like truthers and birthers.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At its busiest? The amount of time it takes you to walk into the building and sign a piece of paper. Washington is a vote-by-mail state, so every registered voter is mailed a ballot for their precinct, they fill the ballot out at home, and, in most cases, drop it into the mailbox and it is delivered to the elections office.

I would say less than a thousand of the registered voters in KIng County actually go in and vote in person. We also have early voting for in person...

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    There you go calling people names.

25. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC