The War on Voting

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Because it is so difficult to match the intelligence of idiot liberals.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony of you responding with "I know you are but what am I" is delicious.

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What is it that you want me to write Dave? You can always quote one of my posts and do the little FYP thing.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falc

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What do you want Dave? I am not one of those same people. Go play professor with someone else.

6. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it quacks like a duck...

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've changed my mind and I now think the idiot republican vote suppressors are right. I had to show my ********ing ID to buy Bic lighters at Target this weekend. Lighters! What the hell was that about?
    But hey, you must need them for everything now, so they must be right :rolleyes:

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Because they wish that Obama really had destroyed "their" country so their outrage would be justified. But because he hasn't destroyed the country... in fact, because he bailed it out when it was on its way to an epic, Republican-ideas-driven disaster, they're really, really outraged. In order to justify this outrage, they need to make shit up. Obama isn't American. Obama Apologizes for America All The Time. Obama Is a Class Warrior. And pertinant to this thread, Voter fraud.

Just a guess.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And to be fair, I understand how the voter ID issue sounds to low information voters. I totally get that the average non-politics nerd doesn't get that in-person voter fraud is practically non-existent, or that photo ID does nothing to solve that practically non-existent problem, or that there is a small but not insignificant (and surprise! Democratic leaning) segment of the population that doesn't have a use for a photo ID and getting one just to exercise the right to vote is a hardship, or that voter suppression/depression has been the GOP's thing for a few decades.

So yeah, I can understand the ignoramus argument for voter ID. I just don't get why supposedly not-idiotic posters who get politics support it.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So you don't care about low information voters rights to buy lighters? :p

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your position would be a lot more reliable if you had more thought and evidence put into it.

Many on PC&E want the government to be closer in style to Europe (specifically when providing social services). Yet the same group also don't want voter IDs, which is wide spread in Europe. How can that be?

Well, Falc, there is extremely little evidence that says that, in recent times (last 20 years) that there has been voter fraud. There is also plenty of evidence that lower income people are less likely to have a government issued photo ID. The combination says that those who do not support social service programs that are meant to help lower income people are are more likely to support programs that require voter ID.

Now, you have said that you "beleive" there is a problem with fraud. What we are insisting is that you check the evidence. If there is evidence that there is voter fraud because of lack of voter ID, then there will be a change of voice around here.

The other issue is the "potential" for voter fraud. I do worry about that as the system is currently set up. An option is to provide everybody with a government issued photo ID. But there are all sorts of problems with that, and it is for a different part of the discussion. As of right now, the problem with voter fraud is through absentee voting, and nobody has said anything about that, a place that has notable evidence as used by both democrats and republicans.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or that it is another form of the police invading their lives and having the ability to track their behaviors. When I say police, I mean government.

13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I have expressed it as my opinion from my own observations. If people want to disagree, go ahead. Voter fraud does not exist because it is not really investigated. There are reasons for that. Many reasons. The system is too open for fraud and if some of you do not want to believe it, no one is stopping you. But calling me a liar and stupid does nothing to support the argument.

14. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are a liar. And stupid.

But that's just my opinion from my own observations. Feel free to disagree.

chad repped this.
  15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Coming from an idiot liberal, I won't take offence.

16. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's rich.

17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Now, now, next thing and you lump me among the 1% (not that there is anything wrong with that but unfortunately not true).

18. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have fundamental misunderstandings about facts, beliefs, evidence, and opinions.

For what it is worth, I don't think you're a liar.

soccernutter and Pønch repped this.
  19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    For as long as man kind has been debating, facts gathered are those used to support a certain argument. Please, let's not be arrogant to state what fundamental understanding anyone has around here.

20. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was more pity than arrogance.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good job proving his point there.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  22. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely the supporters of Voter ID laws have conducted research (or investigated abuses) to prove/support the need for more stringent protection of our elections...and surely they have found widespread abuses..because, there is no way we would pass a law that denies a basic right of the constitution to a group of people based on a "hunch" or a "feeling"..

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Sure, be even more arrogant if you wish.

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What exactly has been denied?

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have not stated facts. You have stated observations and opinions.