The War on Voting

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by purojogo, Sep 2, 2011.

1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I started to look at the references and the first one I picked out was this one. I'll do the work for you and point to the link to the original article that was cited here.
    Greg Borowski, Loopholes in Voting System a Symptom of its
    Openness, Milwaukee J.-Sentinel, Jan. 26, 2005.

Lets just say I found something different in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel article than the biased truthaboutfraud.org article found.

I checked one citation, found a discrepancy.

I am not being unreasonable by any stretch. I just put nowhere near as much faith in the system and in the goodness of people as you people do.

The voting system, without some kind of check, is wide open to the possibility of fraud, if in fact it hasn't already happened. The above cited newspaper article states 1200 votes came from invalid addresses, with 75% of those coming from same-day registration. Is it possible there were 1200 clerical errors, like the Truthaboutfraud.org website would like you to believe? I guess it's possible, right?

2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you are. And the court system disagrees with you; you've been paying attention to the news lately, right?

3. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a lot of crap that gets included in the voter ID bills. If you are truly interested in protecting the system, all that is needed is a simple picture ID.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Protect the system from what?

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    huh? aliens, dude! aliens!

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is possible that voter fraud has happened AT polling places on a wide scale. There is no evidence that is has already happened. But rather than seriously address the possibility of a problem, you want to set up a scenario in which people are excluded from voting because they do not carry photo ID. But I don't recall you offering any way that people can get a photo ID so they could vote.

Further, the place where there is fraud occurring - absentee voting - you don't address. Your position is only to fix a problem that no evidence suggests exists on any scale you think it might.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about from the thousands of nonvoters on Florida's voter rolls?

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm guessing you haven't had much experience dealing with the general public in great number. Anyone who's run a business or other organisation that's had to deal with them will be amazed that, out of a population of about 600,000 people, (according to wikipedia), there are ONLY 1200 incorrect addresses.

If you have a large voter registration push, particularly among people who might be poor and not very well educated, there are BOUND to be errors. I don't see that proves anything particularly, apart from the inadequacies of the public education system in the Milwaukee.

9. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping someone in Pennsylvania's high court (looking at the Republicans in it) has common sense....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/13/pennsylvania-voter-id_n_1881438.html
    Pennsylvania's voter ID law was passed by the General Assembly in March, soon after Republicans took control. After an outpouring of new voters for President Barack Obama in 2008, voting-related laws have sprung up across the country wherever Republicans could pass them, with the effect of suppressing the votes of minorities, students and other demographic groups likely to vote Democratic.
    The state itself has conceded it has no evidence of prior in-person voter fraud or any reason to believe such crimes would occur with more frequency if a voter ID law wasn't in effect.
    By contrast, there is ample evidence that voter ID laws lead to disenfranchisement. There are whole classes of people who don't have what Pennsylvania considers acceptable ID for voting, mainly those who don't drive, including elderly, infirm or inner-city residents, and out-of-state college students.
    Pennsylvania's GOP House majority leader, Mike Turzai, provided a clear view of the motivation behind the voter ID laws when he recently declared that the voter ID law "is going to allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania."
    Democratic Justice Seamus McCaffery alluded to Turzai's statement at Thursday's hearing. "There's no public harm that we can see [from voter fraud]," he said. "Could it be politics, maybe?"
    There are some hints that at least one Republican justice could break ranks. At the hearing, Justice Thomas Saylor, a Republican, asked the state's lawyers whether the law guarantees every registered voter can cast a vote -- a question they could only answer in the negative. The Philadelphia Inquirer editorial board raised the possibility that Pennsylvania Chief Justice Ron Castille might ultimately side with the Democrats on this issue.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Those m*&^^&f@#$$^$ want to take away your freedoms!!!!!

[​IMG]

11. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I need my ID to drive a car, use my credit card in lots of stores, buy beer, get on a plane, get prescriptions, get into my kid's school, get a US passport, apply for benefits from my employer, risk management for volunteer work, etc.....but we can't have an ID to vote???? I am pretty sure most states have free ID's for indigent people. Someone about squirrels and ACORN (whatever fraudster entity they are called now) that libbies embrace with open arms. I love JFK and dead voters in Chicago circa 1960.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

13. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    is he giving me the finger? i can never tell with these damned alien life forms. we should have nuked 'em back to the stone age when we had the chance!

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Exactly what I thought...

We should'nt have allowed them to land neither in Rosswell or South Africa...

[​IMG]

15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several times I have stated that if you don't already have an ID you should be given one free.

I am pretty sure they didn't sign up all 600,000 people and find only 1200 incorrect addresses. The article didn't state the number of people that had valid addresses.

It still leaves a pretty big hole. 1200 votes can easily sway local issues or seats. Bush only beat Gore by 500 or so votes in the Florida election in 2000.

1200 could make a difference.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry. Schapes could've gotten at least six more talking points into a post this long. He's much better than you are.

17. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    channeling my inner Schapes:

So it is NOT a government takeover of voting? Government in no way, shape or form is involved at ALL?

American Brummie repped this.
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's pretty good. A little too good. I might have to put you on ignore

;)

19. ElasticNorseman

ElasticNorseman Member+

Apr 16, 2004
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

you'd miss the music... :p

crazypete13 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do not address how it should be done. And you should keep in mind that many poor voters are highly transient even within a voting area, let alone a city.

21. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I get it. The ghetto winos polluting the streets of Memphis are too lazy to get an ID. That makes sense.

22. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh no! Voter fraud! Mommy, help!

23. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh sweet Jesus. Just buy yourself a copy of "Public Assistance" already.

24. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Serious question: what mechanisms are there to prevent people from fraudulently acquiring a driver's license and other government issued IDs? What is the verification process?

25. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or like our new friend Schnapps, he might want to check out this article from someone who used to think like they do...

Joining the Reality-Based Community