The Walking Dead - season 8

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Oct 23, 2017.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #151 LouisianaViking07/09, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Which is so odd as it's been like 3 years in the Walking Dead since the outbreak. There should be severe deterioration for the walkers. Or at least some physical aspects that kinda are noticeable. As to their changes

So basically the only folks who are still alive are capable of survival against he greatest odds. And yet, still so many die from the stupidest reasons.(i.e. terrible writing to create drama).

Belgian guy repped this.
  2. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't analyze the zombie phenomenon too much or you won't be able to suspend disbelief for dramatic purposes. Obviously after wandering around for 3-4 years now with full exposure to the elements there wouldn't be much remaining of their carcasses.

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also have to remember it's a nonsense world to begin with and entertainment trumps reality. So some will be realistic like the ship eventually running aground and spilling out barnacle encrusted walkers at Oceanside and some will be just silly walker behind the tree, in the swamp, under sand, rolled up in a blanket, or a horse or CGI deer gets mobbed by a pop-up gang of walkers, walker.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...

All out war ends with a backfire. Literally. I thought the finale was a dud. Too much time spent on the car ride, father G's escape and recapture, etc. And the end to the war was literally a pair of plot points and nothing really exciting. The post war dialogue was good though. A good change of pace best suited for the later 30 minutes of a 90 minute extended final that "ends" some story arcs or "provides" reasons for continued existence of some characters.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Okay, I have to start with addressing the biggest bit of nonsense in this season finale.
    Which quite obviously was the fact that none of the Saviors, not one of the dozens of armed men and women - in that one wide shot there might have been as many as one hundred - fired of a single practice shot before the confrontation with Rick's crew?
    Really? They are going into battle with ammunition that as far as they know is untested. Even if they trust Eugene - which is a big if - wouldn't some of them at least want to check out if the guy came through on his promise and made reliable ammo?
    But not one, not a single one of the Saviors fired of a single round before meeting Rick's crew. :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: o_O

I never got this far in the comics so I don't know if they are following the source material in this or not, but is anyone really waiting for "The Walking Dead: Civil War", pitting Rick and Michonne against Maggie, Daryl and Jesus? Also, Jesus in involved? The guy who is always looking to make peace is on board with a plan which will divide the 'good guys' into two groups?

Also, the pay-off for the entire Oceanside subplot was incredibly stupid.

Season eight was a letdown overall and the poorest season to date.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #156 LouisianaViking07/09, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Yeah that's what I called BS on. Surely they'd have fired like 10 rounds off in the leadup. Or were they so cocky that they didn't want to train a little? Or just be sure Eugene didnt prepare something like that?

I loved that pop Gabriel gave Negan. :cool: btw how was Gabriel blinded again?

Yeah. did they even need Oceanside. Incredibly convenient they show up with molotov cocktails. I guess now they have a seat at the table going forward.

Too many characters on this show, we should have had more casualties.

It seems they've run out of ideas. Looks like season 9 will be a long chore to get through. Slow burn til the mid-season when Rick discovers he's being plotted again. Season 9 finale with everyone making peace. I'm more intrigued with Fear TWD now since they had a 2 year time jump.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Btw someone on Reddit stated that the season 8 finale was only like a few weeks since the season 7 premiere. Not sure how they got to that, but it's making the rounds.

Belgian guy repped this.
  8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Haven't the kids aged too much for that to be true?

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Def. Though Judy. She barely seemed to age season 4-7
    while Carl def looks several years older.

I'm pretty sure 2 years passed in the first 4 seasons and at least a year by end of season 6.

I reckon we're somewhere in the 4 years since the initial outbreak. Maybe it's confusing because no 1 really states the time or we don't see the season change. But I reckon we're at least 3.5 years into it.

Which again states if you survived this far, you are cold blooded to the core.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One thing that wasn't entirely clear.
    Was Eugene always going to ******** over Negan or did his plan only really become a reality after he had briefly been kidnapped by Rosita and Daryl?
    Because if it's the latter, they seem to be very eager to forgive him.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wanna believe it was always in his cards. He played the Long Game.

Grouchy repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Amazing how Negan had like what 50-100 shooters against Rick's 30 or 40. Had the high ground and all. No heavy weaponry. All foiled by Eugene's sabotage hahaha.

I was hoping for a really bloody standoff. I guess it's nice to be surprised every now and then. The Saviors should have rebelled. How Negan is still their leader is beyond ODD.

13. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone on reddit had a good point. It seemed like the finale felt disorganized, almost as if the death of Carl was not planned and the result was a shift in the latter parts of season 8b.

Also someone noted viewers are used to Game of Thrones type battle scenes and finale and nothing made sense in TWD's finale but was "hinted" at (i.e. the Oceanside Molotov cocktails because Aaron and Enid found the distillery...) so they could claim good writing - ooh see how we wrapped up everything so neatly.

And the mega herd leads into the next storyline in the comic.

14. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah, when Maggie was doing her 'I'm turning into the Governor speech', you could see she was talking to Jesus and they had Daryl come out of the shadows for shock value. The bigger shock was that Jesus would be involved.

Belgian guy repped this.
  15. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thoughts? Does Maggie become the next main antagonist, consumed by her desire to avenge Glenn? And how long has she been pregnant?! Shouldn’t she be waddling around by now??

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lame ending. Negan gets slashed across the throat, and Rick calmly orders the medic guy to fix him. Like slashed throats are an easy fix. And the plan is to keep him incarcerated for the next 30-40 years? Plenty of resources for that?

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so is Jeffrey gonna be a regular next year or revert to recurring status?

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think we'll get a dollar store version of "Captain America: Civil War" set in "The Walking Dead" universe.

19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Yea, that was beyond dumb. Why is this show still going? I know I'll watch next season, but I'm an imbecile with no will whatsoever.
    I wish the show writers would show as much mercy as Rick did in this episode and just go home.

20. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So whats up with the helicopter though?

Glad I wasn't the only one who was disappointed this season.

21. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Haven’t the helicopters been an intermittent thing throughout the entire series? I thought we saw them before?

22. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only this past season or so. Hasn't been there since the start.

EDIT: You make me wonder now though.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    This show is on its last leg. I'll always remember the glory of season 4

eric_appleby repped this.
  24. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in its current form it will run another season or two (they have to try and fit in the whisperers now).

I could see them salvage it by fast forwarding 10-20 years and seeing how the remnants rebuild.

25. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that was probably the best season.