The Walking Dead - season 7

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One of the many daft things that goes on in this show.

They're all getting geed up to clobber Negan's lot so two of them go off, on their own, to kill him. One's got some military style training of a sort and one who's a crack shot.

Yeah, they won't be missed in the upcoming battle, will they.

Also, if they don't get him, (or if they do strictly speaking), doesn't that tell Negan or his outfit that the rest of them are fighting back? Also, if they did manage to survive and are captured, can't they be tortured for info as to the upcoming plans?

When drama starts to work on the basis of people doing the dumbest thing imaginable it gets a trifle annoying :(

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was disappointed with Fear; I was hoping for more of a frantic situation like the Dawn of the Dead remake (which I think captured things perfectly). Instead it is a Dead clone but with characters I have yet to get interested in and the same pace. The only thing I liked about Fear is the post zombie gangs running things like the "store" which is only equaled by the British series "Survivors" (which starts out great then runs out of gas quickly; I think Netflix is pulling it at end of March).

TWD is just too big. As noted above, the popular characters are getting a ton of cash per episode which results in the spread out, secondary character episodes book-ended by the meaty stuff. I am willing to grant the show runners and secondary writers some creative freedom because they are likely getting a strangled budget from AMC to keep their cash cow fat while keeping the "stars" happy (and therefore all the "sheep" fans of those stars happy). So excessive dialog with crawling plot advancement is the most feasible if not the only option.

On a tangent, Z Nation - the only other zombie TV show I know of - starting out great but has become bogged down in slow motion sequences and elevated plot points. Credit to coming up with the idea of "blends" and humorous diversions like Z-weed and the rolling zombie cannibalism balls. But, still, I think it is like Fear suffering from the "top tier" show slowly turning into a idea starves series (much like Romero's movies).

3. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I have no problem with this. The problem is the dumb isn't counter balanced with enough Darwinish "smart" that should eventually succeed over and replace the dumb. It may be in the next couple of episodes before the season ends.

Entertaining drama can be created from human nature doing what they think is right but isn't the best thing. You can take the "super hero" or "luck" aspect or add comedic relief.

We'll see...

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Fear should have started abroad. Like in Mexico originally. Or even say the UK or Japan. Imagine the main character as a guidance counselor at an American school in London or Tokyo. (Maybe expensive but could film anywhere to stand in for those cities). Or perhaps even Travis was in the military and his son came to visit.

Basically it would be somewhat different than simply TWD taking place in California.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Having it take place in Britain would also have been cheaper cast-wise.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Exactly. It'd also carry more international appeal. Having more diverse characters. Allowing more dramatic situations than simply (glossing over the initial outbreak, spending 5episodes on a boat). But of course AMC wanna do everything on the cheap, cheap.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aren't quite a few of the people in it brits as well?

Typical... bloody immigrants ex-pats, going over there, taking their jobs.

:giggle:

8. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rick and Morgan and Maggie ( I think ) are Brits. There are more I think ( Jesus? the leader of the Romulan trash people? ).

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    at least no Aussies or Kiwis. Those seem to populate the series on Cinemax. Banshee for example and of course those Spartacus shows

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The leader of the trash people is Scottish. The awesome Pollyanna Mcintosh. A completely bonkers but awesome horror film with her in one of the lead roles is "The Woman".

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  11. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought "Maggie" was [emoji1037]

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Maggie is American but she has a British mother. Which might be why she initially played British characters on both "Supernatural" and "Chuck".

13. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The guy with the W on his forehead was an Aussie

14. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And quite a few aussies and kiwis are on Fear the Walking Dead.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    on Cinemax? The lead on the show was a Kiwi. And that series "The Bridge" had an Aussie in season 1 and of course German actress/Mexican actor in the lead roles.

Tough times for our Canuck brothers as the Brits/Aussies/Kiwis gobbling up all the roles they used to get.

Oooh now I know what you're referring to. He was also on Gotham this season as the Mad Hatter.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    "Banshee" had a Kiwi lead, but a lot of the rest of the cast was American. The guy who played Kai Proctor was Danish. Ivana Milicevic was born in Bosnia to an ethnic Croatian family but her family moved to Michigan when she was still a child and she was raised in the US. The rest of the main cast was American, as far as I know.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Best thing about that is, being scottish, she didn't need any make-up :)

:giggle:

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Indeed. Though I didn't mean the entire cast was Kiwis or Aussies. Just the lead. I was surprised. There are a few other shows with Aussies/Kiwis.

Oh back on to the British...the guy who plays the gangster brother of Carter (24 Legacy) is a British guy. Now that is another shock

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We get everywhere mate... we're like termites :D

20. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're from Terminus?

21. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent episode.

Thought Eugene explaining himself was well done. And although I am annoying with Negan's TV portrayal I still get the occasional chuckle when he is on screen.

The scenes at Hilltop and Oceanside seemed forced filler. Both had decent drama until the walkers got involved then both points trying to be made in each scene were lessened.

So.. Who is the Birdie that tipped off Negan? Dwight, who appears to be switching sides but could easily play double agent or be simply a plant by Negan. A Savior scout sent to observe Alexandria? Hilltop alcoholic? Or, my choice, the garbage dump group (the Scavengers) are either already in Negan's good graces or are attempting to obtain higher status by snitching on Rick ?

22. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to say its someone in The Kingdom (the birdie).

I was annoyed at the Oceanside scene...Rick just gets done saying the forest is relatively clear of walkers then a heard shows up..WTF!?!?!?!

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I was pleasantly surprised no one died in the Oceanside incident. Though he could have left them a few guns for self-defense. Good on Tara for having another good episode. Though i'm sure she's due to be killed off soon.

mike4066 repped this.
  24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    - Negan's definition of rape is pretty narrow, considering that he coerces women into becoming his wives (I guess that was the writers' point with that scene but it was a bit too much on the nose).
    - At first I thought that Gregory was the one who had told on them, with nothing but suspicions to back him up, but now it doesn't seem very likely.
    - The scene with Gregory and the two Walkers once again featured a stupid TWD cliché in which all of the walkers are loud when they approach their prey but still some of them manage to be upon their human targets before those people notice the approach. :rolleyes:
    - Obviously there is more to what Dwight is doing, but he cannot be working on Negan's behest since no one knew about Sasha and Rosita's suicide mission.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd figure Negan was just assuming there are always some rumblings of attempts to overthrow him. He feels he broke Rick, but he can't be 100% sure can he? I mean he's a dictator. He may scare 99% of the population into bending the knee but eventually 1% will rise to revolt.

Also whey no visible bruises on Sasha? She killed some of his men. And I have to figure someone tortured her.