The very very circular VAR Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well, as the A-League is one of the VAR guinea pigs- I can safely say it has pros and cons.

Pros- obvious ones like offsides, handballs and penalties from diving. They're the pet hates of mine, and its working to stamp those out, as the players realise that you won't be able to get away with it anymore.

Cons- The time it can take to get to a decision. That's got to be ironed out. Its not good for the sport to be watching a ref watching a tv for minutes on end.
    Overuse of the VAR. When they start to overrule the on field ref with regards to tackles and red card offences.

I can see it working- it just has to be streamlined so they get to the correct decision earlier.

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    correctamundo, Cappy!

two things: if they adopt VAR, it makes sense to stop the game clock so that there aren't 4+ minutes of added time at the end of the first half. that would be controversial, but not being able to estimate how much time will be added might be an unnecessary thing.

second: the decisions have to be made in a central location, not on site. the way it works in most sports is that to overturn the official, there has to be conclusive evidence. that shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes, max.

challenges have to be limited, also.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    so far VAR isn't being used well anywhere, it's usage is inconsistent, it's being applied indiscriminately, with officials basically making it up as they go along like it's a new damn toy. it is annoying just about everyone and confusing the shit out of things.

and the solution people here are calling for is (a) use it more and (b) add more rule changes to the game at the same time ??!!!

god help us.

usscouse and CB-West repped this.
  4. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agree with you on this Sam...100%

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #80 usscouse, Apr 26, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    Well we know they're going to foist it on us in one form or another. They have to get the bugs out first though.

But you know it'll be a farce for at least one season. There is still the overpowing human factor.

6. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Right - it's going to be a mess for a while

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly because they'll be afraid to implement it properly, they'll continue to half ass it like they did with the FA cup this year, not give proper instruction to ref/coaches and everyone will complain its not working great.

EruditeHobo and usscouse repped this.
  8. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what do you mean by "anywhere"? it's working reasonably well in American football, in basketball, in ice hockey. delays aren't oppressive.

if you can employ current technology to avoid "pilot error" that has a deleterious impact on game outcomes, why the blank not?

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    bollocks. TOTALLY different games, man, with frequent delays built in. irrelevant to the discussion here.

usscouse repped this.
  10. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you said it wasn't being used well. that's not true.

it's a different issue whether the inclusion of VAR is bad for the flow of the game or the culture of football, but don't pretend that VAR isn't an effective tool to correct officiating errors.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    it's good in some other sports but that doesn't mean it is a good fit for football.

12. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    To drag up an old sig of mine.
    "If you have to use another sport for analogy. You just don't get it!"

13. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Different cultures, different countries. Danny. (Peachy Carnahan)

Come on Stilts. You were brought up in the TV age of American sports. Where the games have been adapted to make it easy for advertising. When they go to their version of VAR there's usually time to squeeze an ad or 2 in.
    The umpire's time out. Was designed for the same thing. That's what it'll all come down to.
    Years back they tried to make football more palatable to the American TV audience by trying to impliment the game in quarters. More delays, more ads. There was talk at the time of a whole new game of football/soccer being introduced in this country. So americans could understand it better. Blue line offsides. Sin bins, a ref in each half of the pitch. Shot clocks. All aimed at
    The American TV sports fan.
    Or closer to you. Bigger holes and bigger balls in golf.
    Var isn't some sort of magic bullet. It's just someone else's. "Opinion" of the same thing.

Yesterday you had two Fox TV expert comms nearly coming to blows with different ideas and interpretations of that incident of the 2 yellows in the Arse match. That is what VAR is!!!

I feel that The FA and FiFa will bow to pressure to do something. But it doesn't mean it's right nor will it improve the game as we know it.

SamScouse and CB-West repped this.
  14. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'm sorry if this has been brought up already but I don't agree with the point that VAR significantly changes the flow of the game. In soccer, the ball is in play for less than 60 minutes in the 90 minute match. 30+ minutes are interruptions...I don't mind having another 2-3 minutes of stoppage if that means that a crucial call goes the right way.
    VAR is fairly new and the technology and it's use can still be improved over time. Offside calls should be able to be made in the time it takes the goalkeeper to pick up the ball from the back of the net.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    however, so far it cannot be done expeditiously on a routine basis.

this is one of the big reasons it shouldn't be introduced.

the fact that all it does is add more opinions to difficult decisions is another (big) one.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Somehow. This is being called new "Technology". It's not. It's a couple of guys looking at the incident on TV.

It's still boils down to opinions.

17. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If two guys are reviewing it and they are both sure the on-field call is wrong, then advise the ref of that. It's still the ref's call.

If the on-field call was not obviously wrong (eg the two reviewers disagree/are not sure) then the on-field call stands.

It doesn't have to get into a situation of squabbling over "differing opinions" on marginal calls.

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Nope - it's not.

It's cr@p.

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As I must always point out. Golf is not a sport. It's a game.

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I like it when humans make the calls" is not a valid argument. I don't know what line of reasoning clubs used to vote against this (for now), but whatever it was it wasn't that.

21. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Golf is a sport.

sport
    spôrt/
    noun
    noun: sport; plural noun: sports
    1. 1.
      an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

22. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Right - but what's entertaining about golf?

:cool:

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Three points as to why I'm against it.
    #1. It's part of the human drama when ref's getthings wrong.
    #2. Basically I'm against anything which might allow the insidiousness of the american version of sport to gain a foothold.
    #3. How can a situation which is a foul at any other moment in the game (wrapping of one or both arms around a player; tugging a shirt; clawing down a shoulder (however briefly) not be a foul in the post-corner kick moment?

If VAR is supposed to allow for the rectification of errors then this is BY FAR the most common one. Therefore this is the one it should first address. Hence = much stoppage of game flow/time.

You guys simply don't wish to address this fact, and so just idly dismiss the redress of fouls during corner kicks notion as some sort of absurdity - but there is no proper reason for dismissing it.....

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Where is the logic in limiting challenges to incorrectness, if the goal (pardon the pun) is to implement the item of technology in order to make that which is incorrect correct?
    Logical Fact: To make that which is incorrect correct, one must challenge what is incorrect in all instances.

25. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In the same way that tiddliy-winks, backgammon and darts, hitting a hammer offf a plate to raise a weight to ring a bell at a country fair, and bird-watching are sports - sure, I'll grant you that ....

Otherwise (if there is a requiremant, as in most sports), for highly developed physicalityin order to compete, then nope .... for ref: seee pics of Ian Woosnam, John Daly, etc
    (winners of Masters and US Open)