The very very circular VAR Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so weird. I'm sure the defender saw the attacker go by as the ball was kicked which likely prompted her to play defense. I suppose she could have let it go and hoped that the player was off and didn't score - but I can't see how 15-16 years of training will be coached out of players.

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't fairly obvious, and they aren't often given, so I just disagree with this very premise. Which is fine, we can agree to disagree. And I'm especially glad we can agree this has nothing to do with VAR.

As to the rest, I don't actually believe you want VAR to apply to these situations, I don't believe you think it's highly unfair, because you have yet to form a coherent argument as to how that might be.

I don't know what you're talking about here... in fact those two bold statements seem in direct opposition to one another.

Either way, as I've said many, many times, even if I agreed this thing you're talking about is unfair, here's the reality: not all things which can be termed "unfair" are equally "unfair". That is why one thing may get addressed with a big rule change/adjustment, yet another, different thing might not -- they aren't "the same" because they don't impact matches and scorelines and bad results to the same degree. At all.

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of that training should be to not hit shitty headers...

Either way this is an edge case, this just doesn't happen enough to be that significant. Might sting for that defender in this moment, and maybe another one next season, but frankly but she should just hit a better header next time.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hate to say this because a year ago I was really behind VAR but it's really turned me off since then. I can't stand it right now and I'm at a point where I'd rather swallow a few "human" referee mistakes than this nonsense we have right now.

usscouse repped this.
  5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wtf... why? Almost all these calls are the right call according to the rules!

Feel like I'm talking to my parents about Fox News. If you went on twitter today you'd think the VAR in BRA-AUS women's match made the most horrible, obvious missed call in tournament history. It's the right call! Turn off the noise, read the rules, and look at the VAR numbers.

6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Back to this, I thought Milicic's response was interesting:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/key-matildas-under-injury-cloud-for-brazil?cx_cid=edm:twg:wwc:2019

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    as VAR becomes more commonly used, we'll start seeing more and more unintended consequences or misuses.

VAR supporters seem to think that either (a) "it will be used just fine, trust the officials" or (b) "you just need to get used to it" or (c) "doesn't matter if the call is proven right".

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    if you want to see a classic example of how VAR can 100% completely ruin the emotion of a game, watch the last 5 minutes of the Raptors win last night. ludicrous.

9. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    THIS right here is I think the straw on the camel's back for me. I understand why they keep the flag down per VAR rules but it has unintended consequences like this. And I'm not even talking about the game in question (I haven't even seen it), it's literally every other game I've watched with VAR involved. The defenders are so confused on what to do because basic offside is not getting called anymore "just in case" the assistant was wrong.

I'm a rational guy and I try really hard to work off facts and not feeling but my feeling on this is just not good since the World Cup. I just feel like VAR has really sanitized the game and taken the edge out of it. Maybe my feeling will change again, I don't know. This might also have to do with having to endure it in MLS, which has been an absolute joke.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #835 EruditeHobo, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    What do you mean by (c)? These calls everyone is whining about, they tend to have pretty strong cases that they were the correct call.

Trusting the officials... that's just a byproduct of being a fan in general and watching refs interpret the rules. I mean, do you trust the officials to get offside calls right without VAR?

The point is, you can make this about a lot of things but you can't make it about the right calls being made. Because VAR increases the chances of the right calls being made, objectively.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... no one can argue against feelings.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    by (c) I mean: "the only thing that matters is the call is right ... tough about those unintended consequences".

Two aspects:
    1. VAR supporters trust that the officials won't be swayed into extending the use of VAR when teams lose games for infractions that VAR catches but the human eye doesn't - such as uncalled rough play at corners/FK's. some ppl trust that they won't bend to that pressure. I expect they will and expect that in a couple of seasons the game will be stopped repeatedly. (we've been over this already).

2. VAR supporters trust that the officials (I should clarify here - I mean broadcasters) won't start introducing commercials into VAR timeouts. some ppl trust that they won't bend to that p$$$ temptation. I expect they will and expect that in a couple of seasons the game will be ruined by such crap.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a lot of the VAR pushback is from ppl (me included) who feel that soon goals won't be celebrated, waiting for the VAR officials to say "OK you can cheer now". jesus, if that doesn't take the motion (aka spontaneity) out of the game, I don't know what will ....

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, ok.

A couple games a season, it might be stopped multiple times, sure. It's certainly possible. I agree. But I mean, that's why statistical analysis takes place over a large sample size --- thousands of matches, 55 average added seconds. It speaks for itself on this matter.

Bending to whatever "pressure" there is I don't know how much that makes sense though... this isn't a lobbyist group funded my "big VAR" to make them ubiquitous in the modern game, irrespective of actual usefulness.

Well I don't know how. But all we can do is wait and see I guess.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been happening for years now, this seems such a ridiculous concern. We just had one of the most entertaining World Cups, arguably (and somewhat easy is that argument IMO) the best since 02... with VAR.

If you feel this way, I mean I can't argue with feelings or future hypotheticals... I'd just say this has been in on top leagues for multiple years, fans and players have had zero problem celebrating goals or finding drama in the matches. Did you wait to celebrate the Origi goal just in case VAR would find that VVD pushed someone over, or whatever? I don't see how this makes sense as a complaint of VAR.

Maybe I'm just too in the bag for VAR, I don't know. This seems silly.

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR in Brazil-Bolivia, elbow in the neck initially not given yellow, then changed. Pretty good call for me! Shouldn't elbow people in the neck.

Took too long, though.

17. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another VAR in Brazil-Bolivia, and it's once again the right call.

- 45:47 was the handball, play continued
    - 46:12 VAR calls down when the ball went out of play
    - 46:59 he goes to check VAR screen
    - 48:10 whistles for the pen

This ref is taking too long... but the calls are correct. Cue the controversy brigade!

Half the Bolivian team was standing on the spot protesting, they killed another 50 seconds with their whining.

Coutinho on pen duty in the absence of Neymar! And he buries it.

18. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no it bloody isn't.

why do you dismiss this point. I've posted in this thread several articles about fans where VAR has been used for a while, saying that VAR is "ruining the game" for them because they can't celebrate a goal in real time, waiting for VAR to weigh in. I've also posted comments from top coaches who say they dislike what they see VAR doing in those leagues.

the fact that the WC went well ( in your view) doesn't negate those well-informed opinions, and repeatedly posting when (again, in your view) "VAR got another one right" doesn't make them magically disappear.

your response above reinforces my comments about VAR-ites saying "screw the unintended consequences".

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I’m only really dismissing the slippery slope consequences. For instance yesterday in the Brazil match, the ref took too long for 2 VARs. That’s a real consequence, not one based on a SS, and it shouldn’t really happen that way. And they should make sure to fix it to take less time!

You are right I’d rather have the game take a little longer than not have the VAR safety net for bad calls. But that doesn’t mean I’m ok with them cutting to commercial break for VAR reviews or whatever!

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    and killing goal-celebration spontaneity is a real consequence and happens regardless of how right or wrong VAR decisions turn out.

if you really don't believe VAR usage will (almost inevitably imo) expand as teams complain about VAR not being used to adjudicate events that cost them games .... well all I can say is you have a lot more faith in humanity than I do.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don’t believe it will but if it does arguments will be made on the usefulness of each proposed expansion and I’ll be for or against them based on the arguments. Good arguments, in the end, will always win.

Either way there’s no good argument for some big VAR expansion. Just like there’s no good argument to extend goal line tech monitoring to other areas of the pitch, which is probably part of the reason why that hasn’t happened.

And I can easily counter this weird goal spontaneity celebration argument by saying VAR does away with groaning and complaining which results from not being able to fix wrongly-allowed goals, especially those which swing match results!

So it’s still a matter of priorities and personal preferences in the end, as you suggested.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting look at VAR, micd up ref calls a match.

23. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Var correctly calls a penalty in France Nigeria - player misses the kick - var calls goalie off the line yellow and rekick to score for France. Var doesn’t call encroachment of the box by France. What a sequence.

24. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't apply to encroachment... weird situation though.