The very very circular VAR Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I like 4 & 5!!
    ;)

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL. you make shit up as you go along, mate.

it's a slippery slope for VAR. ffs stop parsing the shit out of everything, you're sounding like a totally blinkered "VAR can do no wrong" kool-aid drinker.

3. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The problem is that when the ref is conferencing with the linesman, the audience knows it immediately. The first thing everyone usually does is glance at the linesman.
    We humans are capable of maintaining the happy tension for the time of a glance and a few seconds to confirmation or not - without afterwards feeling banjaxed, codswalloped, bazookaed and gadzookaad and whatever else....

But after a FULL JOYOUS round of celebration to be revoked and re-possessed....
    Christ - I don't think anyone (even me) envisaged that foul spectacle.....

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it isn’t! Sorry! Fortunately you’ll be happy to know that IS the new language of the amended rule being implemented next season.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #705 EruditeHobo, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Those are categorically two different things... it’s important you recognize that, just for the sake of understanding what we’re talking about.

That said I don’t even think that article is saying what you claim it is saying.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    how gracious of you to point out what it is I need to recognize, so I can understand what we're talking about.

I feel so humble in your presence (as I'm sure we all do). such an honour !!

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    by the way, go fukk yerself.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Good.... a lot of people (I think the original poster I was answering) and some soccer playing fdrends of mine all were thinking in terms of it should have been a foul by Llorente yesterday. For me, that one is too close to call, even for VAR. You'd need to be in the effin' crook of the man's elbow to judge it....
    Anywya, my whimsical point was that you can't have two hand-fouls on the ball in the same play, unless they touch it exactly together ....

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Incidentally, I took a random poll of 5 yanks and 5 brit ex-pats - came back 60-40 in favor. Curiously all 40 were brit/irish who had grown up with watching english football.
    II'll give you any odds you like that if you and I get together in a year in the Kezar and conduct a random sample of 30 people it will not be the 70% you referenced....
    People are slowly starting to dislike this nonsense.....

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    btw/ one final thing - that only makes it irrelevant to 50% of the conversation. (As I wasn't talking here about VAR affecting any game.)

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #711 zaqualung, Apr 18, 2019
    No - we can't - that's what brought this matter up. However, they were good enough for some of u..... Just as memebership of the EU with all it's faults (or most of them anywaze) was good enough for many of us....
    ;)

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this thread might be seeing its last days (unless we benefit from another VAR decision to win the league and the CL).

CB-West repped this.
  13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I never thought it was possible to ride a dead hosre all the way to the Urals.....
    ;)

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    please ......

CB-West repped this.
  15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #715 EruditeHobo, Apr 18, 2019
    LOL

... they’re two different things! Why am I some huge asshole by pointing that out? It’s a fact.

I still like you, you curmudgeonly bastard you. Just relax a little bit — every time someone says “you’ve got that wrong” they’re not personally insulting you! Sometimes people get things wrong.

No, they aren’t. That’s just an element of the vocal minority. Either way it doesn’t really matter, because VAR is still here to stay as this is not the kind of thing where a complete reversal is very realistic — VAR will certainly be tweaked, but just like we aren’t going back to days before goal-line tech or before the keeper passback rule or before lots of other fundamental changes to the game, we aren’t going back to days before VAR. But yeah, let’s place a bet on that! I like free money.

Nah, leave it up... I’m really done debating it now, we’ve gone down every possible avenue, but this is still worth existing to keep up with all individual VAR decisions.

newterp repped this.
  16. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    People keep losing track of why VAR was brought in, and that was to reverse the ridiculous.

This all started after frank lampards goal against germany was 3 feet over the line and the mexicans officials were on vacation.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that may (??) have prompted the Goal Decision System, not VAR.

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You're generalization is quite wrong there, hobo.
    Way more people are still good with it than against it, but there is a slowly growing, not-insignificant shift. I can think of at least two people I know whose opinions have changed on the matter...
    whether ot not any of that is due to being near the oracle/bullhorn (take your pick) of me, is debatable
    ;)

19. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Goal-Line technology adequately addresses that, and has a negligible affect on the time-emotion-build-ratio (a term I just made up, but one that is quite applicable).

However, it's true that VAR was brought in to review both the ridiculously bad calls and the injustices of erroneous human-error bad calls. These have always been annoying in varying ways, but in recent years and with the changes in available technology, I guess a sizeable movement grew-up calling for the application of this new element. Twittering so loudly that the powers that be eventually fed the trough.
    The justification for this was (largely) given as being a sort of imperative feeling that most fans have to make things fairer. As a fan who didn't have any such pressing feeling of need, I found that a little disconcerting, but hey-ho - I'm a unit, not a committee.
    But the pig-offal or food or whatever you want to call it wouldn't stay completely down ... and now there's some sporadic puking occurring...
    and it turns out that a lot of the stuff that is annoying now is (it's not stretching credulity to suggest) worse to put up with than putting up with getting shafted by an occasional bad call. Worse, not just for the supporters of the team affected, but for any poor soccer fan forced to endure this waiting and checking and ref-rectangulating, and then maybe having to join the home-supporters queuing at the return help-desk for disfigured emotional needs.....

Of course it all depends on your mind-set and what you want to put up with? There's no greater logical claim in the proposition that fairness beyond what the officials can provide is going to make for superior enjoyment of the competition
    than
    it's okay to put up with the errors that the 4 officials can't spot because we have proven ourselves capable of putting up with them and through all that, finding the required enjoyment nonetheless

They are both merely premises originating out of what differing minded groups of people want. And neither can be proven better than the other. The only proofs are in the pudding. Across a sort of span of degrees of like/dislike bewteen these two extremes
    (a) someone like Hobo happy with what 99% of what VAR is doing
    and
    (b) someone like me who is sick of the entire structure of the enterprise

20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally half my friend group that cares about soccer used to be somewhat against VAR and now basically all of them are converted and want/like it now since the WC and CL demonstrated the usefulness of it... do you see how pointless it is to argue with anecdotes?

We will see what happens, I guess.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR confirms Ajax goal against Spurs... very close offside call.

22. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's crazy that the announcers were wondering if Van de Beek's foot put him offside...
    Offside should be applied with the same logic as a ball crossing a touchline:
    If any part of the offensive players torso is overlapping with the 2nd to last defender's torso, it's in play.
    If there is even the slightest day light between the two players, the play is dead.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be very happy with that rule, especially now since VAR is in to confirm it. We could do away with the annoying stuff, as you mention, about where this or that foot is...

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    except that is exactly how VAR offsides are being handled - looks like even a player's shadow can be called offside.

and I've seen zero in the media to suggest anyone in the game is making an argument that it should change.

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's how it's handled because that's the current rule. But they have tweaked the offside rule a number of times over the last decade. I'm sure it will get another look at some point or another.