The very very circular VAR Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by SamScouse, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...d/news-story/2a8bae7fe5c3573c32294976d03473cd

2. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    el-capitano repped this.
  3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well, you'll be happy. Personally I'll be likely vomiting from time to time ... (just hate these stoppages - partially ruined th espectacle of the World Cup Final for me ... but, maybe I'll adapt over time ....)

(and don't let's forget that with it in the Prem this year we would by now be staring through a longer points distance after the coat-tails of Pep & Co. .. and that, whether you want to acknowledge it or not, is a fact!)

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    btw/ been a while since we were at this old ancilliary rubbish here ... but... i recall wanting to ask you this??

zaqualung said:
    Look - There are different forms of cheating in life. Whilst not an important component of cheating in the terms of the game, it is of some important in the signals it gives out to young kids watching about blatantly cheatiung
    hobo said:
    This doesn't matter and is STILL not relevant.

Do you really believe the first part of that?

8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's what happens it's what happens! I'm not certain that's necessarily true though, maybe Pep and Co. would have dropped some more with VAR?

Yeah, I don't care what "signals" kids get from the rules of a professional sport/league that is trying to figure out a way to have the results of matches most accurately reflect what happened on the pitch during the match.

Athletes don't raise the kids watching. I don't care what kids learn about cheating from how athletes behave. That's for their parents to sort out.

I still don't even know how this is relevant to VAR, at all... which is why I said it wasn't.

9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #559 SamScouse, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    here we go again ... in this case the lino stopped running, giving Kane offside, and so the Chelsea defenders did too.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46799747

Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri believes "English referees are not able to use VAR" while Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino said he was "unhappy to win like this" after the system awarded Harry Kane the penalty that won the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg.

The only goal of the Wembley game came from the spot after referee Michael Oliver consulted the video assistant referee to check if Kane was onside before he was fouled by goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga.

The VAR camera suggested Kane was onside, but Chelsea showed a screenshot of their own system after the game that suggested he was offside.

10. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Too close to call = benefit of doubt to attacker?

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    it sounds like the linos need to be told that, delay.

VAR is STILL not ready for prime time.

interesting that Poch - even though VAR gave him the win tonight - said:

"I don't like the VAR," he said. "Today we get the benefit of it but after watching the World Cup and another league like La Liga, I see that nobody is happy from day one that they started to use it.

"To get the benefit is nice but I am unhappy to win the game like this.

"We all have to agree - the players, the coaching staff. I watch La Liga every week and nobody is happy, the big clubs and the small clubs. If you are playing to win the title or to stay up, nobody is happy.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No close 50/50 call is solved by VAR.

That said yeah, really tough call. His upper torso looks just off and his feet look just on. Situations like this should go to the attacker imo... but that’s not currently in the rules.

13. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's not a VAR problem, its a linesman problem?

If it's very close, linesman shouldn't make call unless a goal/corner results (and take back for review at that point)?

EruditeHobo repped this.
  14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The degree to which the FA is ********ing this up is pretty amazing... it’s not exactly rocket science.

That said VAR also got a red tackle correct that a ref missed in Palace - Grimsby.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    linos need to make adjustments if VAR is in use .... if they aren't doing that then by definition "VAR" isn't ready.

obviously the tech works, its the application of the tech that doesn't.

totally ridiculous that a new way of making crucial game-changing decisions is being brought in on a trial-and-error basis. why not confine it to FAC and LC games for 2-3 seasons before going to the Prem? it's gonna take that long for all concerned to figure out wtf they are doing.

16. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The players need to be told before the game, "they are using VAR. Don't f ucking stop because the linesman stops. PKs/goals/offside are reviewable." Then they wouldn't have the excuse that they stopped chasing because the linesman stopped. Watching the VAR replay, I felt like VAR got it right. The players just need to realize that they can't stop until the ref blows it dead.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the onus should be on the officials to get their VAR shit together more than the players, which they obviously haven't.

what you say sounds reasonable but it requires players to forget instincts they've grown up with which is easier said than done.

18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we're going to use VAR everywhere, then there's going to be a learning curve for both the players and the officials. It's going to be frustrating and annoying (especially to the purists) but it's necessary evil for a year or two. Unfortunately, with soccer played in virtually every country both club and country, there will be a lot of separate learning curves. IMO, this is a pivotal period in the game's history that they need to decide if this VAR thing is gospel or not. It looks like that answer is yes but if so, everyone has to get on board. I still have mixed feelings on it personally but I also realize that my opinion doesn't mean much if that's what they're going to do anyway.

SamScouse repped this.
  19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yeah of course VAR's gonna happen no matter what we think. but it's frustrating beyond words that THE most important change in the game - EVER - is being introduced in such a haphazard manner. VAR will never eliminate controversy but it's introducing its own controversies. so ffs why not take the time to bring it in on the best-possible terms to avoid debacles. is this not pure common sense?

at this rate next season's Prem will be a goddamn fiasco.

20. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agreed with you on the personal opinion bit -if up to me I wouldn't use it. But I seem to be a minority. Although I wouldn't be too sure of that - Brexit appeared to be a majority, which I strongly doubt!
    My point would be that it's not a "necessary' evil, as you say. It's more precisely an evil that many are willing to put up with toward the achievement of getting to what Hobo calls elsewhere in this thread " trying to figure out a way to have the results of matches most accurately reflect what happened on the pitch during the match"
    Personally I would be willing to stay with the mistakes of human error, for reasons already gone wayy too deep into....
    This is, after all, a game - not a social science. It doesn't have to be fixed. (The offside situation is appalling codswallop, as it stands, and no great crowd is calling for that to be rememdied.)

and non-benefit of usual excitement in the moment factor to spectator...
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::cautious:

21. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    A bit like the players, first they need training but then they need actual game time.

22. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Think you have got that exactly back to front. :rolleyes:

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #573 zaqualung, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019

I didn't mean your comment (I noticed that it kind of read that way) - I meant the excitement fizzle-out of waiting for a damned VAR decision. Instead of that well-known, long-loved, time-worn, quick look and camera flash across at the linesman for the instantaneous feudal-overlord like decision, as opposed to this democratic hodge-podge of humbly standing about wondering cr@p.......

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southampton - Derby replay today! Great match in 2nd half, Wilson with goal and assist to take to extra time, but there was a VAR "controversy" during 1st half in which VAR disallowed a very close, but clearly offside Derby goal.

37:55 is when goal was scored, 39:53 is about when the ref ruled that it was offside. Took too long for my liking, this is a problem which needs addressing, but the correct call was made.

25. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another VAR decision!

26:46 ref whistles for corner, but is checking VAR to see if it's a pen... doesn't look like a pen to me, 50/50 incidental coming together...

27:29 whistled a corner. Correct call for me.